Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Has anyone put seat heaters in?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calltrex View Post
The finished Result. all works. turns on with the remote start.
Great idea for switch location! I have the same switches in my kit and I was planning to put mine next to the cup holder in the center console but like this location much more. I need to get some hog rings and pliers so I can get my kit installed before spring hits and I won't need them anymore.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
calltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant future
calltrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Exactly what I got too. Nice job dude
thanks

im originally from Calgary
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
calltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant futurecalltrex has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Great idea for switch location! I have the same switches in my kit and I was planning to put mine next to the cup holder in the center console but like this location much more. I need to get some hog rings and pliers so I can get my kit installed before spring hits and I won't need them anymore.
you only need the straight hog pliers. and i just re-used all the rings no problem
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
you only need the straight hog pliers. and i just re-used all the rings no problem
I've heard it's hit or miss depending on the vehicle but I like the sound of just needing a pair of hog ring pliers.

Also, what did you use to create the holes for the switches? I saw that some came with drill bits but they were more expensive so I got the one sans bit and figured I've got a shop full of tools and I'm pretty crafty. What did you end up using/doing and any tips you can give for installing the switches before I start carving my interior panels up?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
Quote:
I've heard it's hit or miss depending on the vehicle but I like the sound of just needing a pair of hog ring pliers.

Also, what did you use to create the holes for the switches? I saw that some came with drill bits but they were more expensive so I got the one sans bit and figured I've got a shop full of tools and I'm pretty crafty. What did you end up using/doing and any tips you can give for installing the switches before I start carving my interior panels up?

took me about 30 seconds to do both holes. 13/16 wood spade bit

dont go higher because theres a clip thing up there
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
took me about 30 seconds to do both holes. 13/16 wood spade bit

dont go higher because theres a clip thing up there
I got one (or seven) of those so no problems there.

Ah, good call on the location. Looking at that I was thinking to myself 'I wonder if those could be mounted up higher' and I'm sure I would have seen what you're talking about when I got in there. Too bad you weren't local because I would just borrow your hog ring pliers and get 'er done today.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The finished Result. all works. turns on with the remote start.
Digging that, clean install.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
The ones i used are from northwest with good warranty. and you will need the extensions.

I wouldnt trust the ebay stuff. fire hazard
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone put seat heaters in?-20130212_084159.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
The ones i used are from northwest with good warranty. and you will need the extensions.

I wouldnt trust the ebay stuff. fire hazard
Funny because I got the same kit from eBay for a fraction of the price. Who do you think manufactures all of these?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
it will probably be fine. i just wouldn't myself.. prob no warranty
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
it will probably be fine. i just wouldn't myself.. prob no warranty
Another incorrect assumption. Could it be that the place you chose to source yours isn't the only possible option and that there are other options out there that might not cause people's cars to explode?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #32
theres a lot of knock offs on ebay. do whatever you want.. I myself wouldn't as i said
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #33
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of info, so does anybody have an opinion on which is the best quality product to purchase? I prefer higher end as I'm always a believer in you get what you pay for and I only wanna do it once.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #34
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
theres a lot of knock offs on ebay. do whatever you want.. I myself wouldn't as i said
Knock offs? Of what? Are you of the belief that there is a well known brand name that manufacturers to higher tolerances in their own manufacturing plant somewhere and that these aren't all just the same kits cranked out by the same plant in China and then sold off in bulk to whoever wants them... including the place you listed? Comical.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #35
Cali Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Cali Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I did the heated seats about a week ago and am loving it, it was supper easy just took a lot of time. I did the passenger seat first so I could take my time. From start to finish it about 4 hours for each seat. Mine were 60$ for two pairs, with wiring and switches. They get just as warm as my parents Mercedes just as fast.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Knock offs? Of what? Are you of the belief that there is a well known brand name that manufacturers to higher tolerances in their own manufacturing plant somewhere and that these aren't all just the same kits cranked out by the same plant in China and then sold off in bulk to whoever wants them... including the place you listed? Comical.
Hey man, the guy is just saying buyer beware. No need to continue to force your opinion on him or the entire forum. You continued to reiterate your point to the point of coming off as a bully. What other people do with their money is none of your business. You still failed to see his point in the lack of warranty. You can buy from a reputable distributor that will likely stand behind their product, or you can buy from a no-name eBay seller that may be gone in a month. The cost savings make the latter worth it, but only for some people.

As far as a fire hazard, any dangers are mitigated by using a properly sized, high quality fuse and properly sized wiring. The more likely scenario of using a low quality seat heater is the possibility of it having an open in the circuit and not working at all. In either scenario, it would be good to have a viable warranty.

To the OP - I like how you started this thread as a feeler, and then followed through with the entire mod 3 days later! Sounds like you don't mess around.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachou View Post
Hey man, the guy is just saying buyer beware. No need to continue to force your opinion on him or the entire forum. You continued to reiterate your point to the point of coming off as a bully. What other people do with their money is none of your business. You still failed to see his point in the lack of warranty. You can buy from a reputable distributor that will likely stand behind their product, or you can buy from a no-name eBay seller that may be gone in a month. The cost savings make the latter worth it, but only for some people.

As far as a fire hazard, any dangers are mitigated by using a properly sized, high quality fuse and properly sized wiring. The more likely scenario of using a low quality seat heater is the possibility of it having an open in the circuit and not working at all. In either scenario, it would be good to have a viable warranty.

To the OP - I like how you started this thread as a feeler, and then followed through with the entire mod 3 days later! Sounds like you don't mess around.
I think you're confusing me with someone else. I'm the guy against super long posts in the hood trade thread that nobody is reading. Kind of like yours actually.

Bully? lol
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #38
4 banger DC Taco
golferdawg17 is on a distinguished road

golferdawg17's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to golferdawg17
install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLARIAT View Post
Installed mine myself. If you are comfortable working on stuff it is pretty easy.

May as well do the leather while you have it apart...
looks nice. did you install the heating elements directly in between the leather seat covers and the factory seats, or put something on top of the factory seats before installation? (just want to know if there's any concern for preserving the factory seats.)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
bbdmac is on a distinguished road
bbdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Similar question

I know this thread is a few months old, but I have a similar question...although I believe I already know the answer. I'm currently waiting for new Wet Okole seat covers and I purchased my seat heaters off Ebay. They do come with a warranty and they are manufactured by the same company that makes them for the majority of the US companies that offer kits. I've checked out multiple sites and there's no question they all come from the same source I purchased from in China.

But enough of that, my question was similar to the one above regarding whether or not these heater kits can be placed directly on top of the existing seat covers but underneath my new Wet Okole covers. I asked Wet Okole and they indicated it would not be a problem. If you think about it, they run at 110F, which is considerably less than how hot the seats get with the truck sitting in the hot sun. So I'm becoming more and more convinced that putting them under the Okole's and on top of the cloth seats won't be an issue. But I'd still love to hear from someone that's done this. Thanks.

bbdmac