Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! Front Suspension Advice, DR Coilovers

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
BDDFC is on a distinguished road
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Front Suspension Advice, DR Coilovers

So I get my car inspected today and it turns out my front shocks are leaking and the coil on the LF is broken. This is a new to me truck and upon further investigation it looks like they are a set of Donahoe Racing coilovers in the front. Which is great news if they weren't banged up.

I understand Icon makes these now and my question is how much do you think it will cost to have them rebuilt and can I even do that? Lets just say there's no way I can afford to spend the $1200 for a new set of Icons so I'm also looking for suggestions as to a cheaper alternative. It looks to have DR reservoir shocks on the rear, so I don't know exactly what my lift is. Looking at the fronts it's probably around 2" or so.

I found these Bilstein's on ebay for $199 but I don't know what springs would work with those or what height to set them at, I'm assuming if I choose wrong I'll have to take them back off to re-adjust the height. Not to mention what other mounting hardware I need. Can I mount them in my garage even? or do I need a special spring tool? Think noob.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Send them out to get rebuilt. If it's your DD and you need to drive there are plenty of PA guys with their stock suspension you could borrow or buy for the time being (see the PA thread and ask). Typically a rebuild is about $100 per shock. You will need to buy new coils as well if one is cracked. No more then $150 for a set.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
BDDFC is on a distinguished road
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Send them out to get rebuilt. If it's your DD and you need to drive there are plenty of PA guys with their stock suspension you could borrow or buy for the time being (see the PA thread and ask). Typically a rebuild is about $100 per shock. You will need to buy new coils as well if one is cracked. No more then $150 for a set.

I was just thinking...I don't have to be the original owner do I? I think I'll call Icon in the morning and see what they say. It would really be so much easier just to unbolt these and ship them out rather then mess with a whole new set up.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDDFC View Post
I was just thinking...I don't have to be the original owner do I? I think I'll call Icon in the morning and see what they say. It would really be so much easier just to unbolt these and ship them out rather then mess with a whole new set up.

Nope, second owner is fine unless they are stolen

They will not be warrantied. None are.

You should remove the coils before shipping. Send them out and have them sent back with new coils installed. Also your not stuck going to Icon. Check out DSMS as well. http://downsouthmotorsports.com/