Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fox Mid-Travel Questions

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Fox Mid-Travel Questions

Hi Guys,

So I'm seriously looking at Fox Midtravel coilovers and I have a few questions.

First of all. How will they change the driving characteristics on-road. In other words when I go around a corner, will the truck lean more with the Fox suspension, or stay more level with the Fox suspension. I would prefer that it stay more level, as you would want a sports car to in turns.

Second - How much will front fox suspension do if I don't immediately modify the rear suspension. I don't plan on jumping the truck ever, but I'd like to be able to tear through the desert pretty quickly.

Thirdly - Would I need flared fenders right away? I have 265/70/r17's and don't plan on slamming down on the suspension and digging the wheels up into the fenders.

Fourth - I assume I would need new UCA's when the shocks were installed?

Fifth - while off road tearing through the desert how important is a pre-runner bumper actually? If I were to hit a whoop pretty hard do you actually think it would take out the stock bumper?

So to sum it all up - I really want FOX suspension and to be able to tear through the desert, but I don't want to change body panels unless I have to, and I don't want the truck to feel like a bucket of water going around turns. I also probably won't have the money to put coilovers on the back initially, and would want to be able to start having fun in the desert before I upgrade the back.

Thank you so much,

Jack
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
1- will be stiffer around corners if you keep the swaybar .

2- will pick up a little speed in the desert , but the rear is what slows you down the most . If you do a full front and rear mid set up you can pick up some decent speed but you won't tear through the desert . Unless you don't care .

3- don't need new fenders to run even a full mid set up

4- go with the extended length coilovers and you will need aftermarket uca's with it .

5- your stock bumper should be fine .but your ifs skid is going to get beat to hell .
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
For the rear you'll want to do a aftermarket leaf pack and upgraded shocks . Coilovers up front only .
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
1- will be stiffer around corners if you keep the swaybar .

2- will pick up a little speed in the desert , but the rear is what slows you down the most . If you do a full front and rear mid set up you can pick up some decent speed but you won't tear through the desert . Unless you don't care .

3- don't need new fenders to run even a full mid set up

4- go with the extended length coilovers and you will need aftermarket uca's with it .

5- your stock bumper should be fine .but your ifs skid is going to get beat to hell .
Quote:
For the rear you'll want to do a aftermarket leaf pack and upgraded shocks . Coilovers up front only .
Thank you very much!

So in the back I don't need coil-overs? Just shocks and an upgraded leaf pack? Should I put the fox shocks in the back? Or would bilsteins be enough in the rear?

Just to wonder?? Could I put the shocks from the front of the truck on the rear?

I would like to go 50-60mph in the desert?

I want a full mid travel set up so much but I want to do it right and I don't want to beat up my truck.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Coilovers go up front . Shocks go in the rear .

You can go with a fox 2.0 remote resivor shock for the rear . You might need an extended length to accommodate the aftermarket leaf pack .

50-60 can be done through a smooth section.. Most other terrain you're looking at significantly less . Unless you know the area traveled .
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the rear suspensions of our trucks are leaf/shock, the leafs hold the truck up/are the flexing component while the shocks dampen the bounce of the leafs
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Quote:
Coilovers go up front . Shocks go in the rear .

You can go with a fox 2.0 remote resivor shock for the rear . You might need an extended length to accommodate the aftermarket leaf pack .

50-60 can be done through a smooth section.. Most other terrain you're looking at significantly less . Unless you know the area traveled .
I don't want to seem stupid, I thought I knew a lot about this.

Coil-overs are just shocks with coils around them.

So I would have fox 2.0 remote resi shocks in the front with the coils around them and I would just have the fox 2.0 remote resi shocks in the rear with the leaf pack.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
2.5 " upfront , yep on the rest .
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy. Good stuff to review in here, too. FWIW, here's my parts list. Hope that helps.

I'll be running the same shocks and rear springs. If you really intend to tear ass through the desert, it'd be a very good idea to pay attention to all the work Miles put into reinforcing that truck. I won't be doing all of that initially, but I also don't plan to beat the piss out of my truck like that. Also note that you'll probably want to add limit straps front and rear.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
My shopping cart looks pretty much same as yours DoorDing.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
My shopping cart looks pretty much same as yours DoorDing.
Cool. It seems a fairly popular way to go, and if Miles' friends are satisfied with beating on it in the jungle, I think it'll hold up fine for me.

I hope the CD Adjusters on the rear shocks will help me tune it better for empty/full bed and on/off road. I hadn't planned on messing with limiting straps, but DSM recommended them for the rear, and Miles recommended them for the front. Seems smart anyway, since I'd rather have straps take the force than whatever would smack the travel limit - likely the shocks.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I wont have that problem. I'm just gonna go with the Icon mini pack in the rear since the only thing I ever have in the back of my truck is 2 dogs. Plus no deserts here to go bombing through so I dont need straps or resi. I just like the idea of having adjustibilty, rebuildability and of course more travel. Thats why I decided on going with Fox COs instead of the OME kit. After shipping to hawaii and adding UCAs, The DSM Fox kit is about the same as the OME kit.
I just gotta recover from this back surgery and go back to work before I can order the kit.