Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Canopies side effects?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Canopies side effects?

So I've been on market for a Leer Canopy for quite sometime now. Looking to buy used but may go with brand new. With the Cap installed will my truck squat or no change in ride height in the rear? I know these leaf spring are weak as is. Will the leaf springs weaken over time as I plan to leave the cap on for the rest of the life of the truck? Will I see decrease of increase in MPG's? Lastly, am I better off buying a 4runner?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
4th Toyota truck & all have had shells.
Won't effect MPGs, will lower rear (try to get a TSB leaf pack from someone upgrading).
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
More weight=less MPG, you can remove a cap, your springs are pushing 10yrs old(it won't hurt them), and put weight=to cap and see how much it squats(it will a little).

Research your purchase well. There are many options out there. I was amazed at the options and accessories out there for the ARE caps. My wallet picked the base model, though. I have no opinion on the Leer, never had/saw one.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
I've had two Leers on different trucks. Never had an issue with either of them. The rear end will sit slightly lower but not much. The cabs don't weight that much. I've put them on myself on a full sized truck. You may have a slight decrease in MPG but not much. Probably 1mpg less.

Why ask about a 4Runner? If you want a truck, keep what you have and put a cab on it. If you want an SUV, sell your truck. I personally go for the truck.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
4th Toyota truck & all have had shells.
Won't effect MPGs, will lower rear (try to get a TSB leaf pack from someone upgrading).
If I can't find someone selling the 4 leaf TSB pack is there any other options?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Ever consider lifting it?
Your suspension is getting old and a good lift will replace it.
Tacoma Spring refurbishing(1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #7

[QUOTE=4Wheelin4Banger;6432781]Ever consider lifting it?
Your suspension is getting old and a good lift will replace it.

Yeah I've thought about it and if I did I'd probably go with a very mild lift. Something like a set of Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with the Eibach 1.6" springs not sure what to do with the rear definitely not blocks.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upt...eafsprings.htm
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Does it have to be a hard top? I have a bestop and love it.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I have a mid-rise cap and saw a slight decrease in MPG in the city but actually do better on MPG's with the cap on the highway. The 2nd Gen leaf springs suck, the cap will squat them even with the TSB leaf springs. I would look into beefing up the suspension if you plan on going with a hard shell (and I would not consider buying a TSB leaf pack off someone beefing up, they are still a weak leaf spring in my opinion).
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Firestone

Quote:
Put a Firestone Ride-Rite air spring kit on it. I did that to my 2006 DC and it made a world of difference. Firestone has a no drill kit, took me about 90 minutes for both sides.

http://www.truckspring.com/products/...ear__2407.aspx
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Get a aal for the extra weight. The canopy will give you better traction on snow, help with axle wrap issues, lower your chances of ever having your tailgate stolen, keep your gear dry and safe, give more grip on wet surfaces, and help with vibration issues.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Get a aal for the extra weight. The canopy will give you better traction on snow, help with axle wrap issues, lower your chances of ever having your tailgate stolen, keep your gear dry and safe, give more grip on wet surfaces, and help with vibration issues.
I gotta ask, how does a shell help with axle wrap? If anything, it makes it worse because of the extra weight, it forces the springs to twist more because every time you accelerate, you're trying to move more weight. The AAL will help counter axle wrap but I believe the addition of a shell would have the opposite effect.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
OP I highly recommend analyzing exactly what it is you envision using the cap for in the future. If you are going to be wanting to haul loads on top then you may want to look into a commercial-grade cap that can haul more. The comcl caps are heavier than standard plus any extra top load weight should also factor into your decision on rear leaf upgrades. I have the Leer 100RCC which is a heavy cap and I also have the TSB rear springs. After about a year with this setup (plus occasional heavy top loads), the springs have squatted about 3/4" and I now have a slight reverse-rake (5100's at 1.75 up front). I'm looking into the springs that OZ suggested to get my ass back up where it belongs.

Also, since you are planning on leaving the cap on for good, I'd really suggest going for one with a removable front window so you can clean between it and the cab without having to unbolt and move the shell.

On the MPG side, I may have lost a bit due to the extra weight, but it wasn't enough to be really noticeable. As to the 4-Runner question, I figure if you want a mom-rocket then buy one, but if you want a truck then stay with what you've got. Would you really want to huck cinderblocks, camping firewood or a full gas can in the back of a 4-Runner?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can steal the tailgate just as easy unless you have a Pop n Lock
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I gotta ask, how does a shell help with axle wrap? If anything, it makes it worse because of the extra weight, it forces the springs to twist more because every time you accelerate, you're trying to move more weight. The AAL will help counter axle wrap but I believe the addition of a shell would have the opposite effect.
Thats been my experience... others may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You can steal the tailgate just as easy unless you have a Pop n Lock
How can stealing a tailgate be just as easy when you have a shell back window locked over the top of the tailgate? Seems to me it would at least slow them down or go to a easier truck to rip off. I do agree it's still possible though... that's why i did the tailgate theft mods.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
On my 01, I was a big jump in mpg. I was always city highway driving but it seems like the cap helped on the highway alot. I averaged about 18.5 overall, and 22 on the highway with a 3.4. It was about 1 mpg better overall and 2 on the highway. People say the mythbusters experiment stated that caps decrease mpg. If you watch the video they were testing it on ford long bed trucks with 8 ft beds. I highly doubt that my 5 ft bed experiences the same aerodynamics than the trucks they tested. My .02. Definitely is more weight back there, but it is rare that I don't have an excessive amount of tools and gear with me to really effect my truck weight wise.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
TANDJMAN is on a distinguished road
TANDJMAN's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Raider Vagabond Elite and I'm not sure what it weighs, but I doubt it could be any more than 200lbs. I don't really notice any difference in MPG's around town, but having the canopy on actually gives me better mileage on the ighway.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Thats been my experience... others may vary.
For what it's worth.. My 13 has a terrible vibe from 15-25 mph when I got it.. Once I put on my cap the vibes went away by 50%. I'm not sure if it's axle wrap.. But it helped with the vibes for whatever reason. My thoughts were the added weight reduced the rake causing less of an angle in the drivetrain.