Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate ?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Paulyo is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
Paulyo's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate ?

I am not sure why this is the way it is. I bought the truck and then noticed this when I went to sit on the tailgate. It doesn't close flush unless I slam it shut and it is not at a 90degree (parallel to surface). Cables? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate ?-tacoma-tailgate.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
aaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shedaaronbuell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: aaron
aaronbuell's Tacoma Gallery
I know my 09 sits at 90 degrees. Maybe your cables are stretched or the wrong ones. How do the hinges look? Have you cleaned and lubed the latches to see if that helps with the closing problem.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I'd say the cables are stretched. OEM toyota ones are kinda expensive..try camelback toyota, he's a vendor on here.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread but did new cables fix this?i have the same problem with my tailgate. It does close ok though
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Paulyo is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
Paulyo's Tacoma Gallery
I bought new cables and the issue was not fixed. Still searching for the root cause but not digging too deep. Let me know if you find something out.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to me like maybe the pivots are pushed back. Maybe a PO backed into something with the gate down and then had the tailgate replaced.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Banana Nut
TheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMuffinMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheMuffinMan's Tacoma Gallery
My tailgate bends a little beyond 90° now after I used a motorcycle engine a little agressively to power up a ramp into the bed walking next to the bike. It kicked out the ramp after the front wheel was in the bed causing the m/c skid plate to whack the edge of the tailgate which seemed to bend the mounts on the tailgate a little. It doesn't bother me that much but yeah the tailgates don't like being abused.

I'll eventually design a replacement tailgate that'll fit a spare tire and let two motorcycles sit in the bed without requiring the gate being "down". I'll relocate the backup camera into a custom bumper too.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyo View Post
I bought new cables and the issue was not fixed. Still searching for the root cause but not digging too deep. Let me know if you find something out.
I was hoping it was the cables, i ordered a couple new ones for mine. It drives me nuts looking at it when it's down. Probably have to live with it.