Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DRL selection does nothing

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
DRL selection does nothing

On my light selector I have:

Off
DRL
Option that is DRL plus dash etc
Full lights

When I select off vs DRL I can't see any difference. I have the truck run in (or off-- tried both), in DRL, get out and see nothing on.

Can someone please explain ?

2013 DCSB 4x4
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure. The other options all yield results. If that's all we can come up with, ill make sure in the morning that the pb is off and see
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I thought DRL is automatic. Didn't know some trucks have an additional detent on the light stalk.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Interesting. I thought DRL is automatic. Didn't know some trucks have an additional detent on the light stalk.
New for the 2013's
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
In the manual it states that in Canada it is DRL, DRL/Dash/etc., Full Lights. No "Off" as we have in the USA. Cept what is weird is my Off and DRL yield the same result. I swear, when I walk around the truck with it in DRL, I cant see a single difference.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
My DRL definetly turns on the yellow DRL's. OFF shuts them off.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Apologies for the slight derail, but does anyone know if the the new '13 stalk will work on an 09?...anybody know the PN for the new part?

I was wondering if it might be as easy as the intermittent wiper change?

I've done a temp DRL stealth mod, but this new stalk has me thinking.

back to topic...might be a defective stalk or hosed up detent?

PC
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
I just walked outside 755am PST and checked.
DRL on and my truck running, the DRL come on. They didnt the other day.
With the parking brake on or off, the DRL come on, so no difference there.
Perhaps I will test it again tonight when it is dark. Maybe there is some stupid correlation to the ambient light? or maybe I was just going crazy when I *think* I originally saw this not working.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Parking brake on should turn them off or at least that's how it is on the 05-12's
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
OVERALL is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed the same thing on my '13.
4 position light stalk switch:
ON: All head/tail/parking/corner lights are on
PARKING LIGHTS: headlights off but corner lights are on
DRL: no bulbs appear to be on
OFF: again no bulbs appear to be on

I will try to snap some photos shortly, but I was wondering about this too.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
So here we go...I apologize for the pictures not being very easy to determine which light is on since I did take them just a minute ago when it was light out. Not sure why the photo sizes are all over the place either.

with the stalk in the on position, all lights are on.

With the switch in what I understand as the parking light mode, both of the the orange corner lights are on.

With the switch in the DRL mode, no lights are on.

And with the switch on off...self explanitory. I have not noticed a difference when the parking brake was on in any of the lighting modes..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
The DRL's are in by the grill, not out by the lights! You are looking in the wrong place for the DRL'S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERALL View Post
So here we go...I apologize for the pictures not being very easy to determine which light is on since I did take them just a minute ago when it was light out. Not sure why the photo sizes are all over the place either.

with the stalk in the on position, all lights are on.

With the switch in what I understand as the parking light mode, both of the the orange corner lights are on.

With the switch in the DRL mode, no lights are on.

And with the switch on off...self explanitory. I have not noticed a difference when the parking brake was on in any of the lighting modes..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #14

OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding in that the DRL's are the inner, larger orange bulb on the left side of these pictures (towards the grill). Still not on with the switch in DRL mode.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe they forgot to add the "Off" word after "DRL" ? Not to be confused with the "off" setting for the head lamps
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Are you verifying with the truck on? With the truck off the dtrl don't come on but lights and parking do.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERALL View Post

Am I looking to the wrong location for the DRL bulbs?
Yes thsoe are the DRLs, they are also your blinker lamps.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #19

OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Maybe they forgot to add the "Off" word after "DRL" ? Not to be confused with the "off" setting for the head lamps
So you're thinking the switch positions in order should be:
ALL on
DRL on
DRL off
ALL off
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #20

OVERALL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
Are you verifying with the truck on? With the truck off the dtrl don't come on but lights and parking do.
Yes. The truck was on.