Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #21
antistu is on a distinguished road

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
I found a forum posting on Toyota Nation on installing a fork mount into the rail. I installed mine last night (see attached photos).

Yakima Fork mount is locking with key and I have a Kryptonite cable laced around the rear wheel. I may still use the rear cab on occasions. Unless you show up with some powertools nabbing this will be difficult.

@dexterdog - I know guy who got 5k through his homeowners insurance on a stolen bike. I've asked the question to my provider and they claimed they'd do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab-img_0464.jpg   Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab-img_0466.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistu View Post
I found a forum posting on Toyota Nation on installing a fork mount into the rail. I installed mine last night (see attached photos).

Yakima Fork mount is locking with key and I have a Kryptonite cable laced around the rear wheel. I may still use the rear cab on occasions. Unless you show up with some powertools nabbing this will be difficult.

@dexterdog - I know guy who got 5k through his homeowners insurance on a stolen bike. I've asked the question to my provider and they claimed they'd do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwall23 View Post
I have the Rocky Mount SD and you can buy it with the locking skewer as well...
Both look like good options, and I'll probably do the same. Throw a cable though a cargo D-ring and I don't think there's much more that could be done. Thanks for the photos.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
I have the rocky mounts SD and 20mm thru axle attachment piece. Couldnt be happier and its nice you can order more mounts with locks to fit the current key you have. The only thing I dont like is rocky mounts puts the key type on the locking mechanism. I dont know why as someone could see your truck, get the key number, order a set for 20 bucks and bam next time he sees you have a bike.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
I have the rocky mounts SD and 20mm thru axle attachment piece. Couldnt be happier and its nice you can order more mounts with locks to fit the current key you have. The only thing I dont like is rocky mounts puts the key type on the locking mechanism. I dont know why as someone could see your truck, get the key number, order a set for 20 bucks and bam next time he sees you have a bike.
Careful use of a Dremel tool will take care of that, but you might want to write that code somewhere first. FWIW, I put my radio and key codes on the door jamb of the vehicle, next to the data plate. Easy to find, and not much chance of the codes falling into the wrong hands there.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
timmyedge is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Ammo
Name: Timmy
timmyedge's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to timmyedge
If your that worried about it, DONT LEAVE THEM UN-ATTENDED...realistically I could rip that out of your bed and have a new bike. Im a cyclist to, so I know where your coming from cause my bikes mean the world to me. But I dont leave them unattended for to long. When I go cycling, I go cycling not shopping. If you really want to have a theft deturent and go shopping with your bikes, just lift your truck. If its to big the thief will be like "ah hell no, I aint climbing in the bed of that, ill break my leg getting out of it.."
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyedge View Post
If your that worried about it, DONT LEAVE THEM UN-ATTENDED...realistically I could rip that out of your bed and have a new bike. Im a cyclist to, so I know where your coming from cause my bikes mean the world to me. But I dont leave them unattended for to long. When I go cycling, I go cycling not shopping. If you really want to have a theft deturent and go shopping with your bikes, just lift your truck. If its to big the thief will be like "ah hell no, I aint climbing in the bed of that, ill break my leg getting out of it.."
I agree, but I think this is more for the inevitable times when a stop to or from the ride is required. It's also good to consider just for the ease of securely (movement, not theft) transporting them.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I agree, but I think this is more for the inevitable times when a stop to or from the ride is required. It's also good to consider just for the ease of securely (movement, not theft) transporting them.
I agree with Door Ding. Its not like I leave my bike in my truck just egging people to steal it. I usually have multiple cable locks on my bike if I do leave it unattended. It is nice too to lock the quick release in so you make sure it doesn't come loose on an extended period of driving.

Its amazing though, in San Diego it seems all the other bicycle forums I am on someone is getting their bike stolen once a week if not more. And these are your 5,000 dollar bikes. If I sit and eat somwhere where we can see our bikes nonstop. It is nice to think that no one is going to steal your bike but nothing is safe anymore.