Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
antistu is on a distinguished road

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab

Hi, new to the forum and after a few searches I was unable to find any hits (other than bed bike mounts). I was curious if anyone has a trick or method for storing a bicycle in the rear seat area for a doublecab PreRunner? Assuming you can fold down the seat cushions and/or back seat. But I am specifically looking for way to secure my road & mtb (29er) without having it bounce around much.

I was able to pull the front wheel off and wedge the rear tire between the seat and door handle of my old crewcab F150 so I am looking for something similar. Or I may just get a fork mount to 2x4 to fit it in the back. Iíll post pics if I go that route.

I'm adding a Yakima Blockhead locking fork mount to the bed rail. However, in some cases I will need to keep the bike locked up inside my cab.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I'd imagine you'd have to take both wheels off to fit a 29er in the cab...even then it would probably be a tight squeeze.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't even want to try to cram any of my bikes in the back seat but if it is what you have to do I would move both front seats up forward as much as you can tolerate and fold the back seat down. I could probably get my road bike in the back seat because it is light and easier to break down. My 29er FS on the other hand I would not even attempt.

I have a really nice hitch rack and I lock up my bikes to the rack and I am planning on getting my bicycles insured. I have a canopy on my truck so if there was a time I was going to be away from a bike for an extended period I would lock it up in the bed.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
I can easily fit both bikes (including the 29er) in the back with only the seat cushions folded up by removing the front wheel only. As I mentioned, I did this in the F150 supercab without folding the seat at all. I can almost slide the road bike in the back (foot/leg area) without folding anything actually. I am just looking for a good way to secure both. I’m sure I can fit a FS bike back there just as easy.

I’ll post some photos soon as sort of a before and after.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I own a Giant Revel 0(2012) and when I owned my DCLB I had to remove the front wheel to put it in the back seat of the Tacoma. Yeah! I had to fold the seats back and it fit, barely. I am not sure if a 29er bike is going to fit back there or not. It's something that you're going to have to try out.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistu View Post
I can easily fit both bikes (including the 29er) in the back with only the seat cushions folded up by removing the front wheel only. As I mentioned, I did this in the F150 supercab without folding the seat at all. I can almost slide the road bike in the back (foot/leg area) without folding anything actually. I am just looking for a good way to secure both. Iím sure I can fit a FS bike back there just as easy.

Iíll post some photos soon as sort of a before and after.
Are you still locking the bikes up while inside the cab? I'm not sure I see much of a security benefit unless you do, since it'd only take a few seconds to bash a window, unlock a door, and take the bikes.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Are you still locking the bikes up while inside the cab? I'm not sure I see much of a security benefit unless you do, since it'd only take a few seconds to bash a window, unlock a door, and take the bikes.
No, I don't lock up the bikes. You are more than likely not going to steal what you don't see. In any case, If they want either of my bikes that bad, let them have it. I could use a new set of 10k bikes.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Scott Scale 29er hardtail and Bianchi 928 w/700c wheels. Both fit comfy with seat cushions folded up. The 29er is secure as is, I'll have to get a fork mount to secure the Bianchi.
Attached Thumbnails
Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab-img_0426a.jpg   Storing bicycle in backseat of doublecab-img_0428a.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In my town, the window grazers are legion. They'd gleefully put a rock through your window for an old Huffy. That pair is so precious, even a meth head would know they were worth a little more. Have you considered a bed cap or topper?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Meh, why not just throw a blanket over top of the bike to help hide it then?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistu View Post
Attached Scott Scale 29er hardtail and Bianchi 928 w/700c wheels. Both fit comfy with seat cushions folded up. The 29er is secure as is, I'll have to get a fork mount to secure the Bianchi.
Tight fit! Hope you don't plan on toting around many passengers
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So what was the point of this thread?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
So what was the point of this thread?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't you just put them in the bed OP?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I see no reason to put it inside the cab. Using a fork mount and locking cables will make it just as safe (which is very little) as if it were in the cab. I just got back from riding my MTB and stopped at Walmart. Just don't stop anywhere too long.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Meh, why not just throw a blanket over top of the bike to help hide it then?
Car grazers have an innate curiosity that drives them to see what's under blankets covering hidden things.

As Wilson said, best not to leave them unattended for very long, no matter what you do. I know it sucks, but it's the way things work. Do you often transport both bikes simultaneously? I'd rather have them locked in the bed or a rack than screw with jamming them in the cab, but that's your call.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
Spidey264 is on a distinguished road
Spidey264's Tacoma Gallery
I made myself some bike mounts that go in the bed and can hold your bike up. You could even close the tailgate and keep both tires on the bike. Let me look for pictures that I took of it...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Spidey264 is on a distinguished road
Spidey264's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #19

antistu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Car grazers have an innate curiosity that drives them to see what's under blankets covering hidden things.

As Wilson said, best not to leave them unattended for very long, no matter what you do. I know it sucks, but it's the way things work. Do you often transport both bikes simultaneously? I'd rather have them locked in the bed or a rack than screw with jamming them in the cab, but that's your call.
I use both methods (cab & bed). Usually I am toting one or the other. But if I am parked at work I prefer to not leave either of my bikes locked-up or not in the bed all day (thus store them inside the rear cab). I plan to use a Yakima Blockhead with the locking skewer for the bed.

@dexterdog - Point of the thread was to find out if others were storing bikes securely in the rear cab. Sorry, if that's a bit boring.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
My pee parts itch

Quote:
Hi, new to the forum and after a few searches I was unable to find any hits (other than bed bike mounts). I was curious if anyone has a trick or method for storing a bicycle in the rear seat area for a doublecab PreRunner? Assuming you can fold down the seat cushions and/or back seat. But I am specifically looking for way to secure my road & mtb (29er) without having it bounce around much.
Sounds like from the OP it was a question of how to store a bike in the back seat, not how many store a bike in the back seat.

If you are that worried about theft may I suggest bicycle insurance. Due to the high replacement costs of my bikes I find it a small price to pay for piece of mind.