Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame rust recall

Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
markey is on a distinguished road
markey's Tacoma Gallery
Frame rust recall

So I finally took my '06 Tacoma in for the spiral cable and floor mat recall, and I overheard the service guy tell someone on the phone that their tacoma was eligible for the frame rust recall. '01 through '07 models I think. I asked the guy what I should do since my vin did not show as eligible, and he told me to hold off doing anything on my own as they will likely extend the recall to more vehicles soon. He said in some cases they are replacing the entire frame.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had their Tacoma become eligible for this recall...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
99.5 to 00 were bought back and crushed if they had a rusted out frame. My 99 fell under this catagory.
01 to 04 are having the rusted out frames replaced.
05 to present are not under any recall or tsb.

Here is some reading on a 05 with rusted frame: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...st-cancer.html
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
mad dog is on a distinguished road
mad dog's Tacoma Gallery
yo markey this is mad dog curious to know if your truck is getting replace. ik this is a while ago but i am just wanna to know how u made out? i have a 06 tacoma tremendous rust as well. I bought a extended warranted and i still got 6 months left before it expire like must of us i do my own work like changing the oil etc. but i notice it is getting worse by the year. Let me know

Thanks Mad dog
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
yo markey this is mad dog curious to know if your truck is getting replace. ik this is a while ago but i am just wanna to know how u made out? i have a 06 tacoma tremendous rust as well. I bought a extended warranted and i still got 6 months left before it expire like must of us i do my own work like changing the oil etc. but i notice it is getting worse by the year. Let me know

Thanks Mad dog
Have it inspected but there is currently no recall for the second gens. If there is frame rot maybe your extended warranty will do something about it. In the thread that is linked above that person was able to get the frame replaced but the dealership paid for alot of it.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
leluclevesque is on a distinguished road
Name: Luc
leluclevesque's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markey View Post
So I finally took my '06 Tacoma in for the spiral cable and floor mat recall, and I overheard the service guy tell someone on the phone that their tacoma was eligible for the frame rust recall. '01 through '07 models I think. I asked the guy what I should do since my vin did not show as eligible, and he told me to hold off doing anything on my own as they will likely extend the recall to more vehicles soon. He said in some cases they are replacing the entire frame.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had their Tacoma become eligible for this recall...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~HEY man ive had some problem with rusting and engine mounts breakingoff i called the head office of toyota and they said that it was not a problem in canada beacause nobody makes complaint to them ....im pretty frustrated i just bought that truck cash soo if anybody does run in some problems call them up and file complain she said if theres enought complaint there might be recalls
Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
SuperWhite Riderr
RGSP1025 is on a distinguished road

RGSP1025's Tacoma Gallery
Well boys there is s recall for the cold states on the eastern side of US. Mine (05dblcab) is at tge dealer as we speak and it waiting for a new frame to arrive. They gave me a car for the time its going to take, the service guy here at IRA Toyota in Danvers MA said it will take a lil while but it will be replace. Depending on where u at i'd suggest call ur dealers or wait for your tsb letters. N always ask for a lowner even though the dealers say they dont do that the tsb letters say the dealers should accomodate. Ill keep u all posted.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
MaineYota is on a distinguished road
MaineYota's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same letter (Portland, Maine here). Did they offer you any options other than "replace the frame"?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
is there any way to tell by the VIN number if yours is included? i live in the deepsouth, saltwater is just as bad as the salt they put on the roads up there. mine isnt rusted through, but its rusted bad and getting worse everyday, and paint/coat they put is cracking and flaking off which means it will only get worse. seems to be the worst in the front, are you guys worst in the front too?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
SuperWhite Riderr

MaineYota they didnt offer anything other than replace the frame, theyll also do allthe other recalls like d gas pedas and floor mats. As far as accomodations theyve been great. I got a rental until theyre done w the truck completely.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
SuperWhite Riderr

This recall is only for the cold states where heavy salt is used to clear up the roads when snows. If u already had a coat of sealant put on ur frame by a dealer n is flaking away then i suggest to bring it back to d dealer n have them doit again
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
SuperWhite Riderr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSP1025 View Post
This recall is only for the cold states where heavy salt is used to clear up the roads when snows. If u already had a coat of sealant put on ur frame by a dealer n is flaking away then i suggest to bring it back to d dealer n have them doit again
Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
SuperWhite Riderr

Quote:
MaineYota they didnt offer anything other than replace the frame, theyll also do allthe other recalls like d gas pedas and floor mats. As far as accomodations theyve been great. I got a rental until theyre done w the truck completely.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
mad dog is on a distinguished road
mad dog's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone no if 2006 part of this as well, because I been trying for the pass 4 yrs with Toyota dealer and was told 2005 only about a year ago.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
that sucks, i know they put salt on the roads up there alot, but i bought the truck new and half the time i owned it i lived in venice, at high tide the roads at the end of hwy 23, past the big s-curve get about 6"-8" water on a regular basis and its a mix of the gulf of mexico and the bay. "Brackish" water is what we called it, like half salt water and half fresh water. and working at any of the docs, any slight rain makes the parking lots flood.

in fact in 2010 i brought it in for service, had breaks changed and some bushings, the tech came back and mentioned the corrosion on some of the bolts and said i would have to give the ok to continue because some of the bolts may break off when they try to take them off.

like i mentioned before it not as bad as alot of you guys but worse than i would have ever expected.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well boys there is s recall for the cold states on the eastern side of US. Mine (05dblcab) is at tge dealer as we speak and it waiting for a new frame to arrive. They gave me a car for the time its going to take, the service guy here at IRA Toyota in Danvers MA said it will take a lil while but it will be replace. Depending on where u at i'd suggest call ur dealers or wait for your tsb letters. N always ask for a lowner even though the dealers say they dont do that the tsb letters say the dealers should accomodate. Ill keep u all posted.
What specific part of the frame are they looking for to tell whether or not its eligible for replacement? they called me yesterday.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
SuperWhite Riderr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
What specific part of the frame are they looking for to tell whether or not its eligible for replacement? they called me yesterday.
They are looking at the whole frame n if it has perforation even if its a small amount. They will replace it i think just to cover theirs asses n give d customers confidence.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
burnout524 is on a distinguished road
burnout524's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question - so Toyota is replacing frames if there's rust...are the new, replacement frames any different than the ones that originally came with the truck? If so, are these new/different frames coming standard on newer (2013?-2014) trucks?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #18
SuperWhite Riderr

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout524 View Post
I have a question - so Toyota is replacing frames if there's rust...are the new, replacement frames any different than the ones that originally came with the truck? If so, are these new/different frames coming standard on newer (2013?-2014) trucks?
They r teplacing if there is considerable rust n rust perforation. The new frames are the same shapewise, new rust resistant coating n better steel. It should be standard on 2013-14 year models.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
markey is on a distinguished road
markey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They r teplacing if there is considerable rust n rust perforation. The new frames are the same shapewise, new rust resistant coating n better steel. It should be standard on 2013-14 year models.
Sweet I am going to call the dealer...tired of seeing the orange outline of my frame where my truck sits in the driveway.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
SuperWhite Riderr

Just picked mine up from d dealership yesterday. They did a great job it feels as if i just got a new truck. New control arms, brake lines, abs sensors, they will replace ur leafs unless u have aftermarket n u tell them not to replace those. New balljoints etc.... Ill post pics later on.