Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick Help!!! BrakeSiezed

Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Quick Help!!! BrakeSiezed

Guys I am on my way to mt Washington and the steering wheel starts shimmying. I pull over and the front left brake is locked on. I can't get it to release. I just jump started the truck bc the battery died when I got gas. Need help/ideas. In massachussettes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In auburn, mass
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
ANGUS is on a distinguished road
ANGUS's Tacoma Gallery
hard to say why without seeing. maybe brake pad or caliper piston fell apart and lodged? maybe wheel bearing?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #4

This ever happened?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

I am at sears now getting a new battery. There was one fortunately under a mile. I can't tell of the brake released but of course no one here will just look at it.
I don't think its the bearings, the actual pad was locked on when I pulled over
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
So what happened? You got it fixed now?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
If I was on the road and couldn't get the truck into a warm shop, I'd try using a car wash wand to thaw out the hub area and flush whatever garbage I could out of the caliper and carrier.

The caliper really needs to be pulled loose and inspected. More than likely, the caliper isn't freely floating in the carrier frame. Cleaning and lubing it may work, but if it got this bad, don't be surprised if some parts need to be replaced due to corrosion.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
If I was on the road and couldn't get the truck into a warm shop, I'd try using a car wash wand to thaw out the hub area and flush whatever garbage I could out of the caliper and carrier.

The caliper really needs to be pulled loose and inspected. More than likely, the caliper isn't freely floating in the carrier frame. Cleaning and lubing it may work, but if it got this bad, don't be surprised if some parts need to be replaced due to corrosion.
Nail on the head. It's a Long story to write, but it released while I was at sears getting the new battery put in. Another customer there so my irritation and asked whts up. He highly recommended a local mechanic in Worcester, MA - D.T. Automotive. These guys were awesome and yes the caliper was bad and told me it would just happen again. 1.5 hours later (had to wait or prt delivery) I was back on the road. They were very understanding of my situation and hooked it up price wise.

So hopefully now I am good to go. But the money I spent on the caliper and battery sadly came out of the hard tonneau fund. Oh well.

Thanks for following up though.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good to hear. That's a very fast turnaround for an unscheduled shop visit.

If you haven't already, I suggest changing your brake and clutch fluid every two years. It'll prolong the life of those systems as well as make the brakes perform better. Aside from the corrosive properties of fresh brake fluid, accummulated water and wear debris will chew up the hydraulics.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Good to hear. That's a very fast turnaround for an unscheduled shop visit.

If you haven't already, I suggest changing your brake and clutch fluid every two years. It'll prolong the life of those systems as well as make the brakes perform better. Aside from the corrosive properties of fresh brake fluid, accummulated water and wear debris will chew up the hydraulics.
Thanks bud i appreciate the tip. I just bought it in august from a wholesaler so I have no idea what kind of maintenance the last owner did. Kindof starting from scratch in all areas (@ 82k miles).

The guys in the shop were awesome.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
Thanks bud i appreciate the tip. I just bought it in august from a wholesaler so I have no idea what kind of maintenance the last owner did. Kindof starting from scratch in all areas (@ 82k miles).

The guys in the shop were awesome.
Best off assuming all the fluids are bad and change them soon. Even if uncontaminated, they're probably worn out OEM fills. Hopefully, that doesn't apply to the engine oil.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Best off assuming all the fluids are bad and change them soon. Even if uncontaminated, they're probably worn out OEM fills. Hopefully, that doesn't apply to the engine oil.
1st thing I did when I brought her home was an oil change, that uneasy definitely not going to guess on. Thanks! I will look into the others. I plan on teaching my unborn son to drive in this truck so longevity is key!