Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Tacoma Slip Yoke Grease Fitting

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
My first gen already has this? Do second gens not?
Wondering the same thing I'll bet the yoke from the first gen would fit. It's fitting was right in the side of the slip joint.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I figured out what to use to grease them- My father-in-law had a little hand held gun that he uses for his chainsaw, and the tip fits perfectly. Also the gun is rigid, so you can press into the center of the fitting, I was able to grease all of mine, took a little longer because the gun is small, but it worked perfectly. So now the task is to find one online.

The one he had is made my Lincoln, and called the Lubrigun, and has a chainsaw tip on it, see the attached pictures.

Here is what I have found online so far -

(1) http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dual...ease%20gun.htm
Dualco seems to be the best one.

(2) http://www.mfgsupply.com/32-5801.htm...Fckx4AodKzwAIw

(3) http://www.amazon.com/Dualco-Grease-...saw+grease+gun

(4) http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...ef=pd_sbs_sg_8
No free shipping either, and about the same price after shipping as the better Dualco one.

(5) http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Grease-sh...ef=pd_sbs_sg_6

(6) http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Chain-P...saw+grease+gun

Some pictures -

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
So the only time my slip yoke was greased was when the center bearing was replaced. (at least I assume they greased it before reassembly). Local shop only charged me $50 for the labor to have them swap out all 3 u-joints and center bearing. I just took them the new parts and drive shaft.

I've got the same MOOG 270 u-joints and never got the needle to work correctly either.
I just remove the fitting, put the needle into the hole, then press the needle hard against the u-joint to get the grease in. Then put the fitting back in.

Next time grease is due, I'm just going to replace the fittings with bolts since I'm just using the fittings as plugs anyways.

You are correct that only 4x4 has fittings on the 2nd gen.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
So the only time my slip yoke was greased was when the center bearing was replaced. (at least I assume they greased it before reassembly). Local shop only charged me $50 for the labor to have them swap out all 3 u-joints and center bearing. I just took them the new parts and drive shaft.

I've got the same MOOG 270 u-joints and never got the needle to work correctly either.
I just remove the fitting, put the needle into the hole, then press the needle hard against the u-joint to get the grease in. Then put the fitting back in.

Next time grease is due, I'm just going to replace the fittings with bolts since I'm just using the fittings as plugs anyways.

You are correct that only 4x4 has fittings on the 2nd gen.
Prerunners also have fittings on the drive shaft U Joints, but not the slip yoke. Mine does anyway... Check it if you have a Prerunner.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Prerunners also have fittings on the drive shaft U Joints, but not the slip yoke. Mine does anyway... Check it if you have a Prerunner.

I'll clarify that based on what I found when replacing mine a while back, 2005-2011 model prerunners didn't have zerks on the stock u-joints.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
mo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant future
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
They sell the greese gun fitting you need at autozone it's similar to the mini chain saw greese gun tip you used only longer and fits on a standard size grease gun. The needle you used I usually use to greese things like ball joints or tie rod ends that don't have greese fittings on em. There fairly cheap to like 5 bucks. I've been wanting to add a greese fitting to my slip yoke also thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #30
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Just what I needed. Was thinking about rebuilding my drive shaft.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #31

Tractor Supply was the only place around me that had the grease gun fitting.

"Needlepoint Grease Coupler"
Works very well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...=&cm_vc=-10005

Products Discussed in this Thread