Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Tacoma Slip Yoke Grease Fitting

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Tacoma Slip Yoke Grease Fitting

I am rebuilding my drive shaft on my TRD Off Road 4x4, replacing the U-Joints and Center Support Bearing, and while it is apart I figured adding a grease fitting to the slip yoke would make things better and get rid of the axel wrap thud. I have been pulling my drive shaft apart and adding grease every 10k miles and it is a pain, so the grease fitting will make this much easier. I couldnt find any pictures, but I know there are a few folks that have done it here. I was going to do it myself since it is really easy, but I didnt have the proper drill bits, tap or grease fitting, and I just haven't had the time to do it. So I took it to a local shop and they charged me $50 to do it, got it back in 24 hrs and I am pleased with the results so far.

This is what it looks like, the shop checked the clearance with the old U-Joint and said there were no clearance issues, I will post some more pictures as I put it back together today.

Some more pictures:

Fully Assembled

- There are no issues with clearance, and a standard grease gun tip fits in there for east greasing.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grease Fitting on the inside -

NOTES:
Mark everything, so you can put it back together exactly int he same orientation that it came apart in, this is IMPORTANT!

Also, I torqued the nut on the center support bearing to 135 ft-lbs and then backed it off and took it to 55 ft-lbs and then staked the nut. I used the nut to "press" the bushing on, and packed the bearing before assembly.

Also, to get the ears that go to the U-Joint off, you need a 2-jaw gear puller, it comes off very easy with that. Then having a 2 or 3 jaw gear puller to get the old bearing off. I didnt take pictures of this because it was dark, and using a gear puller is pretty easy. I also used a vise with some blocks of wood to hold the drive shaft on the end ears instead of the hollow shaft, and used an impact to get the nut off.

It doesnt make a difference to the functioning of the drive shaft, but I chose to mark everything on the side that had the factory grease fitting, which were all on the same side, so you can grease them all if you can reach one of them. Unlike the front drive shaft you cant spin the read when in N. I used some red touch up paint from my red Miata to make the marks, black marker was too hard to see.

Other pictures:

Center Support Bearing (Carrier Bearing) Removed -

The new Bearing - went with the Dorman, interested to see how long it lasts compared to the factory one, it cost $45, so I am taking the risk when compared to the $200 factory one.

I bought new washers and nut for re-assembly, you dont need them, but my local Toyota dealership sold the 2 washers and 1 nut for ~$5

This shows the order for re-assembly with the washers.

Clean everything, and apply more grease to the spline an bearing.

I marked the direction on the bearing, the Dorman comes un marked, and direction is key on this part.

This thin washer sits inside the bearing, on the side that the nut it on, see the picture above for the order, it wont go together wrong without breaking something.

Watch out for burs that are created when you take the old U-Joints out. Use a file to get rid of this. And grease the holes before re-assembly, makes it easier and prevents it from seizing.

COMPLETE -
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice. I'm more of an electrical guy, not mechanical. But I'm learning daily!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Can I have it?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
thats fucking sweet. i posted up a thread a while ago about wanting to do this, i have no drilling or tapping skills so i would def take it somewhere to have it done. does wonder if it will let grease get into where it needs to be...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up, thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Super sweet write up

Where did you get the ujoints and what part number are they?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
CrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tacoma889
CrAiG's Tacoma Gallery
Very great write up, and thanks for taking the time to do one!!
i need to do this for sure!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this! Looking forward till better weather to do this myself.
My Chilton manual shows this same grease fitting But I don't have one. Are these only on certain models or is the Chilton wrong yet again?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Super sweet write up

Where did you get the ujoints and what part number are they?
I used Moog 270s, their "Super Strength" version, but they come with a "flush" grease fitting that I cant figure out how to grease...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnfly View Post
Thanks for posting this! Looking forward till better weather to do this myself.
My Chilton manual shows this same grease fitting But I don't have one. Are these only on certain models or is the Chilton wrong yet again?
No 2nd Gen Tacoma comes with a slip yoke grease fitting if that is what you are asking. And only some (I think 4x4s) come with the U-Joint grease fittings, but I may be wrong.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmm..can you post a picture of the grease fitting when have a chance?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
My first gen already has this? Do second gens not?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #18
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Hmm..can you post a picture of the grease fitting when have a chance?
I was about to last night, and I dropped my phone in my dogs bowl of water, now it may never work again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
^ you need a needle tip for the grease gun! I replaced it with a regular one
My friend has one and it bringing it to me this week to try. I will likely just replace them with standard fittings if the needle doesnt work.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #19
Power Top

Reminds me of when my gf was chasing me while trying to spray me with the hose..j dropped my phone and the screen spider webbed
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
7.62x63mm

I used MOOG 270s, check Moogs site for more info.

So I bought a needle grease fitting and gave it a try...

I bent it within 30 seconds (in two places), and got no grease inside the u-joint.

I really hate these flush fittings, and I cant find a 10-32 grease fitting with a check ball in it. I did find a 10-32 grease fitting without a check valve on McMaster, but nothing local.

Products Discussed in this Thread