Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd light flashing

Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Josh
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
What am i waiting for?

How many miles does your truck have on it? Just something to consider. Would you put a used transfer case in your truck that has over 40-87k miles on it instead of putting a brand new actuator in?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
jshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to beholdjshsltr is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Trouble shoot your actuator first. I took mine apart and found out the prongs on either side of the actuator motor were bent apart. I soldered them together and it worked:

Good Stuff
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WAIT, dont buy or do anything
Quote:
Trouble shoot your actuator first. I took mine apart and found out the prongs on either side of the actuator motor were bent apart. I soldered them together and it worked:
Interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatercat View Post
How many miles does your truck have on it? Just something to consider. Would you put a used transfer case in your truck that has over 40-87k miles on it instead of putting a brand new actuator in?
I have 75xxx on it
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #24

Air Force:
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Would be nice if its a $.10 fix
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I found and attached the 4x4 factory troubleshoot guide which I used:
4x4 troubleshoot guide.pdf
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #26

Air Force:
jshsltr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting.....

I have 75xxx on it

You have fairly low miles. Just my .02, but if the actuator turns out to be bad, I would be more inclined to replace it with a new actuator rather than a transfer case with almost as many miles as the one i have. Even if i have to pay a couple hundred more. Now if the difference was greater say 500 more, I may take my chances with the used one.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #27
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I found and attached the 4x4 factory troubleshoot guide which I used:
Attachment 195958
Did you test all resistance values?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Did you test all resistance values?
Yes. I went down every step. I located the error at the resistance test.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
'merica

Quote:
Yes. I went down every step. I located the error at the resistance test.
Well in that case, i am at step one cause it does not stop blinking.
I guess i will pull it inside and get after it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Well in that case, i am at step one cause it does not stop blinking.
I guess i will pull it inside and get after it.
do the ohm test anyways
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
'merica

Okay so on step 5 everything checked out good so the switch is good.

On step 6 I am assuming it was telling me to check the plug side that goes into the switch....
part A supposed to be .3 to 100 i got 1230

Part B supposed to be more than .5M
terminal 1 to ground i got 1230
terminal 2 to ground i got 0.6
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
'merica

Wait, what i did does not make sense. I am an idiot. Those wires have to go to the computer.
I think i need to inspect the actual actuator. DUH!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
'merica

Okay, here are my real results.
Part A 1.3 right where it needs to be
Part B not a damn thing. I cant even get a flicker on multimeter
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Okay, here are my real results.
Part A 1.3 right where it needs to be
Part B not a damn thing. I cant even get a flicker on multimeter
No continuity on motor side or plug means circuit is broken somewhere. Same problem I had. Check the motor prongs.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
'merica

Quote:
No continuity on motor side or plug means circuit is broken somewhere. Same problem I had. Check the motor prongs.
well i checked the front actuator and there was no continuity there either. between prongs 1&2 or grounded.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #37
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
well i checked the front actuator and there was no continuity there either. between prongs 1&2 or grounded.
same thing with mine. prongs 1 and 2 no connectivity. I tested it on my buddy's 4x4 and there was connectivity. Pulled the actuator out (6 screws IIRC) and the prongs werent touching).

Easy and free fix, definitely worth trying.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #38
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
same thing with mine. prongs 1 and 2 no connectivity. I tested it on my buddy's 4x4 and there was connectivity. Pulled the actuator out (6 screws IIRC) and the prongs werent touching).

Easy and free fix, definitely worth trying.
If blackhawke's excellent assist falls through, I'd suggest visiting a transmission shop for an estimate before having the work done at a dealership. They specialize in this kind of repair, and may be able to do the job for less. If you need an actuator, they may also be able to find you a better deal than the dealership.

Blackhawke, keep the help coming. Even if it ultimately fails to help the OP, I'm sure someone else will make use of it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
'merica

Quote:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I FREAKING LOVE YOU MAN!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I FREAKING LOVE YOU MAN!!!!
Like this?
http://youtu.be/ZGQyv-43334

Or this?
http://youtu.be/GMLBFA7wuh4