Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4wd light flashing

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
4wd light flashing

So i used 4wd yesterday and when i took it out of 4hi the indicator light kept flashing. Now it will not stop flashing. It does not matter if i am in 2hi 4hi or 4lo it just keeps flashing and nothing else happens.

Anyone know what could cause this and how to fix it?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like an actuator issue. Do you cycle the transfer case modes often?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Sounds like an actuator issue. Do you cycle the transfer case modes often?
Yes i have used 4wd quite a few times.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
'merica

The only way i can hear the actuator working is if the truck is off and i select a different mode then turn the truck on.
But it will not actuate while the truck is on and simply cycling it.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
The only way i can hear the actuator working is if the truck is off and i select a different mode then turn the truck on.
But it will not actuate while the truck is on and simply cycling it.
I'll bet it's still trying to move while running, but you can't hear or feel it easily with the engine running. If you can tell it's trying, that's a good sign.

Have you tried leaving the selector in 2H and making a lot of low speed, lock to lock turns in a parking lot? Try that while shifting between D & N to unload the transfer case while maintaining momentum.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
'merica

Ya, itried that multiple times in every combination possible.... I am at the stealership now, I will what they have to say about it.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
'merica

NOT GOOD NEWS

Just got back form the stealership, they say it is a bad actuator. Then i had the balls to ask how much....1100... for just the actuator. and another 1000 for labor.

So i went to my local autozone, NOPE cant get it.
Then i went to napa, NOPE cant get it.

So here i am with a messed up transfer case the same day i just dropped 6k or a sc... great.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
WTF?

Transfer case actuator, or front diff actuator??

I've had to replace the front diff actuator It's expensive, but like roughly $475, not a thousand bucks.

Are they offering to replace both of them for that price? What's up with that??

Maybe you misunderstood and price with both parts AND labor is between $1000 and $1100 ? That's what I'd expect.

For $2100 they're either taking advantage of you, or there's more wrong than you've explained to us.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
PS - yes it is a dealer only part. So you either have to source it via the dealer, or a wrecking yard. These things are finicky enough that I'd probably go with a new one.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
WTF?

Transfer case actuator, or front diff actuator??

I've had to replace the front diff actuator It's expensive, but like roughly $475, not a thousand bucks.

Are they offering to replace both of them for that price? What's up with that??

Maybe you misunderstood and price with both parts AND labor is between $1000 and $1100 ? That's what I'd expect.

For $2100 they're either taking advantage of you, or there's more wrong than you've explained to us.
No i am not mistaken about what he quoted me. it was like 1088 or something like that just for the actuator. and it is the transfer case actuator.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Transfer case repairs average around 2300 bucks. Crazy but true.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw1 View Post
Transfer case repairs average around 2300 bucks. Crazy but true.
I will do it myself, but im having trouble finding the part online.
I want to see if i can get it cheaper than from the stealership.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Damn.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
WAIT, dont buy or do anything
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
So i just found this........ Thoughts?

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...faee&seq_num=4
Make sure you get the right one for your transmission: auto vs. manual.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
WAIT, dont buy or do anything
What am i waiting for?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
slatercat will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Josh
slatercat's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is what you are looking for?

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...641034015.html
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble shoot your actuator first. I took mine apart and found out the prongs on either side of the actuator motor were bent apart. I soldered them together and it worked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Yup, pulled the actuator out without taking out the front diff, checked inside and it was clean as can be. did a continuity test on the motor and it was good. However, the actuator connector still showed no continuity, so i checked to make sure the motor was actually making contact with the prongs. The prongs on the motor were a little bent and were about 1/8" away from the prongs from the connector, so I soldered it. 4x4 works perfectly now: