Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To Trouble Shoot 4x4 Actuator

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Really? I figured there was at least a little solder, or they were spot welded.
Unfortunately no. That is why several people have claimed that they could see tiny arc marks (myself included) where the pins were trying to make contact but did not have a good enough connection.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
If the joints fail again, I'd try connecting the contacts with wire and see if it can handle whatever is breaking the solder.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Almost makes you wonder why manufacturers are placing electrical components in such a harsh environment under the vehicle doesnt it ?
General motors is by far the most guilty of this placing computer boards on the transfer case , abs controllers on the frame rail etc etc .
All it takes a quick trip through a shallow pond to find out how well these components are actually sealed .
I am not saying water impregnation is the cause but I sure miss the days of a manual 4x4 transfer case shifter in a Toyota .
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for future use. Thanks! :thumbs up:
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
How much gear oil do you loose when pulling the actuator? Can I use regular gasket sealer when I hook it back up? Can I use hand tools only or will I need access to an impact wrench?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith View Post
How much gear oil do you loose when pulling the actuator? Can I use regular gasket sealer when I hook it back up? Can I use hand tools only or will I need access to an impact wrench?

Thanks!
Didnt lose any oil. 6 philips screws to pop off the face of the actuator. Dont even need to remove the front diff, just loosen the bolts and tilt down.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Didnt lose any oil. 6 philips screws to pop off the face of the actuator. Dont even need to remove the front diff, just loosen the bolts and tilt down.
Cool! I am going to try and diagnose my 4x4, I think the actuator is broken.

For the longest time it wouldn't switch from 2WD into 4WD, now its stuck in 4WD and the light is blinking. I don't want to drive it around much until I get it fixed, especially since all the snow and ice is melting and I will be driving on pavement.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
If it's blinking then it's not in four-wheel-drive
It's in 4WD, I can feel the wheels bind when I make a sharp turn.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #29
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had known this when mine went out last year. Thanks for this info!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe we'll get lucky and the next tacoma will go back to a manual transfer case.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Bearcoatoffroad is on a distinguished road

Name: Barry
Bearcoatoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever else does this, you have to pull the front diff way down to get the top actuator bolts out, when you do this it is likely going to disconnect the diff breather hose.

LOOK for it on reassembly!

It is hard to see and real hard to reconnect. A steel tube exits the top of the diff, then there is a 3-4 inch long section of rubber hose directly above the actuator, then another steel tube. All the prying down of the diff pulls on the vent and can unplug the rubber from the second steel tube, did not seem to have any clamps on it.

Also, keep an eye on the CV boots, they will contact the front LCA bolts and can damage them.

My ADD actuator had about a cup of water in it, half submersing the motor and entirely the micro switch. A good cleaning with alcohol, then WD-40 seemed to get it working again.

Test the motor with alligator clips and a battery (I used a dewalt drill battery). Two pinouts on closest to the motor are for the motor, you can also test the connections at the motor this way.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
farminfireman is on a distinguished road
Name: Myles
farminfireman's Tacoma Gallery
Could this be why my 4wd lo dont work
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
^ dunno, do a continuity test
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #35
farminfireman is on a distinguished road
Name: Myles
farminfireman's Tacoma Gallery
^ can you tell me how to do that please
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #36
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by farminfireman View Post
^ can you tell me how to do that please
Lick your fingers and touch them to both leads ;-)

Seriously you don't sound like you need to open anything.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, will be doing this tonight
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #39
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Do you have a multimeter?
He has 8 posts and doesn't know how to do a Cont. test.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #40
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to keep this thread in mind. Had an issue with mine last winter. It wouldn't come out of 4WD. Took it to my dealer and said it was $1300 to get the actuator replaced and that if I put it in 4WD again they will not be able to remove it and MUST replace the actuator. Them jags think I'm stupid or something?... Took it to another dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it at all...Just waiting for it to go again... Great write up!