Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Will my winch bumper tear off?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Ca Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Ca Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Will my winch bumper tear off?

Hi fab guys, I'm ready to start fabrication of a plate front bumper on my single cab 2012 4x4. I have the winch, steel, and tabs to start my project. When I looked at the stock bumper mounts, I found six 8mm bolts holding the stock bumper to the main rails. The flanges at the end of rails are only 1/8" thick if that! I see the whole bumper tearing off during winching as the winch centerline will be above the centerline of the rails, creating leverage. I can weld 1/4" plate mounts to the frame to mount the future bumper, but I want to ask: how are these builders making plate bumpers expecting the bumper to not bend the mounts or shear the bolts or flanges without welding stronger mounts off the main rails?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Most plate bumpers use additional attachment points. All-Pro's classic bumper puts two 1/2" bolts in the front crossmember. All-Pro's Apex bumper has extra brackets that tie into the sway bar bolts. Relentless and ATO have tabs that tie into frame holes further back.

As far as I can tell, only Demello uses just the 6 studs.

Relentless:

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless Fab sells reinforcement brackets for plate bumpers
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
As the others have said reinforcement brackets are popular. They tie into the frame a little farther back and also they should wrap under and attach near the factory tow hook point. CBI, relentless, brute force, and ARB all use brackets.
This pic kinda shows the bracket that ties into the frame towards the shock. This is the CBI.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, yes it will rip off if you stress it. I don't even winch off of mine, mostly built for impact, but I welded a chunk of 4" angle iron between the frame rails. It also helps protect the radiator. I also took a 2" holesaw through the end of the frame and drove 4' chunks of DOM inside of the frame and welded it wherever I could. An engine cage helps increase strength too. Any fabricator can gusset it up in a few hours and make the bumper the strongest part of the whole truck. These frames are pretty weak, and with stress they crack pretty easy. Personally, I think the plate bumpers are worthless. Sure, the bumper won't bend, but the frame it is attached to will. I like the minimalist approach best.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
So if you hit something lower than that top bar it's gonna completely fubar your radiator? Looks a little bare down low
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Mine bolts on with the 6 bolts plus two by the tow hooks, I have only used it a few times but no problems yet, I will be making brackets to reinforce the sides
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The way username runs his truck, a 100+ lb plate bumper can fall off from all the shock.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Yes, yes it will rip off if you stress it. I don't even winch off of mine, mostly built for impact, but I welded a chunk of 4" angle iron between the frame rails. It also helps protect the radiator. I also took a 2" holesaw through the end of the frame and drove 4' chunks of DOM inside of the frame and welded it wherever I could. An engine cage helps increase strength too. Any fabricator can gusset it up in a few hours and make the bumper the strongest part of the whole truck. These frames are pretty weak, and with stress they crack pretty easy. Personally, I think the plate bumpers are worthless. Sure, the bumper won't bend, but the frame it is attached to will. I like the minimalist approach best.
This. Heavy usage will deform the front end of the frame. More than one member on here has had it happen.

Gusseting helps. Not getting into those situations in the first place also helps.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
JDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Most plate bumpers use additional attachment points. All-Pro's classic bumper puts two 1/2" bolts in the front crossmember. All-Pro's Apex bumper has extra brackets that tie into the sway bar bolts. Relentless and ATO have tabs that tie into frame holes further back.

As far as I can tell, only Demello uses just the 6 studs.

Relentless:

Nope we use reinforcement brackets too.