Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 bad transmission, bad shift/heavy

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
lazycrazyboi is on a distinguished road
lazycrazyboi's Tacoma Gallery
2012 bad transmission, bad shift/heavy

I recently purchased a 2012 prerunner SR5. I purchased it certified used with only 20k miles on it. I noticed that the transmission at any speed seems to piggy back on the engine and I start to slow speed at a fast rate. It also appears that the truck doesn't shift properly or at theproper rpm. When i accelerate it doesn't take off right away either... It feels delayed. I hope that makes sense. Anyways I want to take it back to the dealer but before I go back at least have a direction to point. Thanks for your help
Old 02-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Its under warrany just take it to the dealer and tell them what its doing. The direction to point is poor shifting
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
What do u mean "piggy back on the engine"?

These trucks have passive engine braking......let off the gas, and unlike most autos, it starts to slow itself.

Also the transmission is supposed to "learn" driving habits......I don't know if u can zero it out by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or not

I know it was odd to get up to highway speed and have the trans NOT upshift when I let off the gas....they are a different animal indeed.

Good luck.....use the warranty while u can

Delayed shifting.....maybe its the drive by wire having an issue.

I noticed (before) that while at highway speed, if I stomp the gas in order to pass or get out of a dangerous situation (drunk/swerving in front of me), the truck used to stay in 5th and bog itself down.

Since I have had the urd maf calibrator installed, I can say I haven't noticed this problem....the truck kicks down sooner and moves....the maf calibrator leans the fuel some, and I wonder if it truly is helping or if its placebo.......either way its been on for 2yrs and I have no trans issues that I mentioned above.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
By piggy backing I mean the second I release the pedal its like I left the E brake on and I'm slowing down.if I'm accelerating and turning I can definitely feel how heavy the truck is... But I almost feel like its a dragging.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycrazyboi View Post
By piggy backing I mean the second I release the pedal its like I left the E brake on and I'm slowing down.if I'm accelerating and turning I can definitely feel how heavy the truck is... But I almost feel like its a dragging.
Sounds like engine braking.....if the rears were dragging I assume u would smell it
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
At what RPM do your trucks shift at? I noticed my truck shifts at about 1900 RPM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
At what RPM do your trucks shift at? I noticed my truck shifts at about 1900 RPM.
......im heavy on the throttle so well above 1900 sorry
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Sold it, dont miss it yet.
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Letting of the gas and feeling the truck slow is the way our trucks were designed.

If you baby the truck a 1900rpm shift is correct. It is a V6 with decent gearing which is also another reason the truck slows when off the gas. Alot of VW vehicles are the same way.

As stated disconnect the battery and it will learn the truck to you but it will not be changing much since what you are complaining about is common traits of our model truck.

What were you driving before??
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Same here! Maybe it is the symptoms of the taco and nothing mechanically wrong? When I accelerate hard, I hear more engine noise than I care to hear and the TACO would still be "dragging" or being sluggish. I do a lot of self-talks when I want the TACO to be more responsive and go faster such as "what do I expect from a pickup truck like this taco? It's not a sports car." I lowered my expectation and just keep on crawling forward .
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
I was driving a clk 320. I'm going to reset the computer hopefully im making something out of nothing. I drove a 2011 around and didn't feel that it any of the similar issues I reported in the OP that's also contributed to why I felt there was an issue
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Odd, these trucks can move usually
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
harpolith is on a distinguished road

Name: t-man
harpolith's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-cab-4wd.html