Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Had automatic headlight kit installed!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
Had automatic headlight kit installed!

This is the kit I had installed to give my truck automatic headlights.http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cted-545T.htmlI love it! It works great!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
getfit74 is on a distinguished road

getfit74's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to check into that, coming from a 2004 Silverado the auto headlights is one feature i miss.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Is there only 1 way to install it or does it have a few installation options
Great price too.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I wouldn't do it now with HID's but I really like the idea!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

There is a few different ways to install it.You can have them come on with your wipers, with the ignition, drl.I chose to only have my headlights come on at night, nothing else. I couldn't be happier!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
grhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of light
grhopper's Tacoma Gallery
Did you install it yourself, or did you have a shop install it?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Interesting. I wouldn't do it now with HID's but I really like the idea!
It has an adjustable turn-off delay, so you can prevent short-cycling the burners.

My issue with the autos on my Silverado was that in California, we have to have our lights on when it is raining enough for the wipers to be running continuous.

Problem is, in California, there can still be plenty of sunlight through a decent rain.
I ended up tossing a ballcap over the sensor. It allowed enough light through to shut off during the day, but they popped on when it was overcast.

This system apparently avoids that issue by automatically turning on with the wipers.

Personally? It's dark when I leave for work in the morning, and until March, it's going to be dark when I get home. I just turn them on when I get in the truck. The way the Tacoma is wired, they can be left on 24/7, but if you do a lot of driving during the day it's a bit of a waste.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ewww....

Never mind.

According to one review, it turns the headlights on as DRLs during the day.
If it's a reduced voltage, it won't work for HID.
If it's full brightness, may as well save the money and just leave your lights on 24/7.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
grhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of lightgrhopper is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ewww....

Never mind.

If it's full brightness, may as well save the money and just leave your lights on 24/7.
I looks like it comes set up as DRL, but if you don't want to run it that way, all you have to do is snip 1 wire.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.

Sold my 2004 audi a4 and have a 2013 dcsb. I really miss auto on lights at night. I think I want them come on when its dark, off when light, and be able to use the bypass switch. The need for the bypass switch is the lack of the light stalk thing having a "auto" option. Audi had off, auto on, parking lights, full on.

I'll watch this thread.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post
Did you install it yourself, or did you have a shop install it?
No.I had a shop install it. They never heard of it until I told them about it, but, it's made by Directed Electronics, and, since their a Directed Electronics dealer, they had no problems getting it.It was the first one they ever did,they said it was very simple!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
I looks like it comes set up as DRL, but if you don't want to run it that way, all you have to do is snip 1 wire.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...tion_Guide.pdf
I leave my drl on all the time, (Thats what i did,i'm not using the kit for drl i told them to snip that wire)at night when it's dark, my headlights automatically turn on, even though my stalk is on drl.Now I never have to do anything with my lights, its perfect! It also has a toggle switch to shut it off if you want.I didnt want my headlights to come on with my wipers, because, I thought, if its daylight & it's only raining a little and I only need my wipers every few minutes, I didn't want my headlights turning on and off.I can always overide the kit and just turn my headlights on manually to if I want.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
No.I had a shop install it. They never heard of it until I told them about it, but, it's made by Directed Electronics, and, since their a Directed Electronics dealer, they had no problems getting it.It was the first one they ever did,they said it was very simple!
How much did it cost to have it installed? I might give installing it myself a try, unless it's cheap to have it installed.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ewww....

Never mind.

Even at reduced voltage, wouldn't it still work for HID's if you use a harness similar to what TRS provides? The headlight circuit is only used to trigger a relay, the power is drawn elsewhere.

Even with the delay, I still wouldn't want this type of kit for HID. It'd still cycle the HID's on and off much more frequently than when under manual operation and might not leave them on long enough to get warmed up properly before cutting the power.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much did it cost to have it installed? I might give installing it myself a try, unless it's cheap to have it installed.
I may talk to my local shop and see if they ca. 2 for 1 -- remove my dealer installed KARR alarm and install this. My guess is 125 for both.
Both of which I can do. But lazy. Ill see
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
$192, it might be a little high, but this was the first one they ever did, and, I stressed to them that I wanted it to be a neat clean install, and it was, so, I had no problem paying it.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Read about Directed Electronics and they are the makers of Viper Alarms. I never had one of those, but I've known of them and they have been solid for years. So I feel good about this unit. They are in Vista, CA (the city directly next to mine), but I dont think they bother with end-users. I'll find a stereo shop real close to them and see about purchasing, installing and removing the KARR. Will report back in to this thread later.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
BeEatNU is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
BeEatNU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Read about Directed Electronics and they are the makers of Viper Alarms. I never had one of those, but I've known of them and they have been solid for years. So I feel good about this unit. They are in Vista, CA (the city directly next to mine), but I dont think they bother with end-users. I'll find a stereo shop real close to them and see about purchasing, installing and removing the KARR. Will report back in to this thread later.
I loved my viper alarm!
When i sold my other car, I didn't install it into my BMW but I do plan on putting one on for my taco.

hmmm now that I know they make viper, I may be interested in picking this up.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Funny this thread got resurrected today.
I bought the 545T but have concerns before I have it installed at my local DEI dealer. I was hoping to speak to the OP, I sent him a PM.

The instruction manual is written by someone who has lots of experience with this unit and so while I think it is pretty complete, it is vague for someone like myself that has never used it.