Notices

Battery booster pack

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
Battery booster pack

My battery is nearly 3 years old, and I'm thinking about getting a booster pack for insurance. Anyone know a good brand, or ones to stay away from?
My preference would be one not made in China, if that's even possible.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
My battery is nearly 3 years old, and I'm thinking about getting a booster pack for insurance. Anyone know a good brand, or ones to stay away from?
My preference would be one not made in China, if that's even possible.
i have the one fromm chinamart thats has a 700 wat inverter in it. had for three years has served me well its around a bill to buy
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up one at Sams club a few months ago, it's yellow colored prestone brand, it does't feel like a heavy duty one but the price was good, i haven't tried it yet. I saw one at car quest parts store that looked pretty well made, not sure where it's made mine is probably China made, it will be handy to jump start my lawn mower when needed also.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I keep this one behind my back seat

KwikStart 1700 Peak Amps

KwikStart 6255 Power Supply 12V Jump Starter, 1700 Peak Amps

KwikStart 6255 Features:

Exclusive Heavy-Duty Sealed Lead Acid/AGM Battery provides Best in Class
Performance
Built-in Charger recharges unit with AC cord (included)
Instantly Jump-Starts WITHOUT the need for another vehicle
12 Volt DC Accessory Outlet to Power and/or recharge DC Electronics
1700 Peak Amps
LED Battery Status Indicator
32in. Heavy-Duty Cables for True Portability and Technician Ease of Use
Unit includes DC to DC cigarette lighter cord
Patented
KwikStart 6255 Specifications:
DC Output 12 Volts / 442AH
Peak Amp Output 1700 Amps
Cold Crank Amps 360 Amps
DC Leads 32in. 2AWG Copper
Limited Warranty One Year
Shipping Dimensions 11.50in. x 18.00in. x 4.25in.
Weight 22 LBS
Internal Charger Automatic Internal 500mA
Battery Heavy Duty Sealed Lead Acid/AGM
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automoti...s=Jump+starter

This is what I have... Fits right behind the rear driver side seat perfectly.... I charge it every year ( it holds its charge well, cause I only have to charge it about an hour every year)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcomaboy View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automoti...s=Jump+starter

This is what I have... Fits right behind the rear driver side seat perfectly.... I charge it every year ( it holds its charge well, cause I only have to charge it about an hour every year)
I also use this one. They usually last about five years. I use it almost every day at work.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I keep this one behind my back seat

KwikStart 1700 Peak Amps

KwikStart 6255 Power Supply 12V Jump Starter, 1700 Peak Amps

KwikStart 6255 Features:

Exclusive Heavy-Duty Sealed Lead Acid/AGM Battery provides Best in Class
Performance
Built-in Charger recharges unit with AC cord (included)
Instantly Jump-Starts WITHOUT the need for another vehicle
12 Volt DC Accessory Outlet to Power and/or recharge DC Electronics
1700 Peak Amps
LED Battery Status Indicator
32in. Heavy-Duty Cables for True Portability and Technician Ease of Use
Unit includes DC to DC cigarette lighter cord
Patented
KwikStart 6255 Specifications:
DC Output 12 Volts / 442AH
Peak Amp Output 1700 Amps
Cold Crank Amps 360 Amps
DC Leads 32in. 2AWG Copper
Limited Warranty One Year
Shipping Dimensions 11.50in. x 18.00in. x 4.25in.
Weight 22 LBS
Internal Charger Automatic Internal 500mA
Battery Heavy Duty Sealed Lead Acid/AGM
1700 amps output is overly optomistic. At a 100 amp load, the voltage drops to 9 volts. Not enought to start a truck if the battey is dead.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
The cheapest Wally-World 400 amp booster has worked well for me for the past couple of years. No way it would turn over a flat diesel, but jumping my truck, stranded motorists, and personal/work ATV's is all I needed it for.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The best bet is a quality battery. Odyssey batteries for our trucks (34R-PC1500), give a 1500 CA for 6 seconds, and 850 CCA's, 1250 HCA's, and a 135 min reserve. And with an internal resistance of 2.5 ohm, they are among the most powerfull batteries out.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
1700 amps output is overly optomistic. At a 100 amp load, the voltage drops to 9 volts. Not enought to start a truck if the battey is dead.
Huh , worked great both times I used it
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Huh , worked great both times I used it
Then your battery wasnt dead.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then your battery wasnt dead.
360 cold cranking amps won't start a dead vehicle ?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
360 cold cranking amps won't start a dead vehicle ?
Yeah, that should, but the specs on that booster arent true. Like I said, a 100 amp load drops voltage to 9, which might start it, but it would be a slow start. The 1GR-FE will crank slowly at 10 volts or less. Less than 9 volts, and start up is a gamble.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, that should, but the specs on that booster arent true. Like I said, a 100 amp load drops voltage to 9, which might start it, but it would be a slow start. The 1GR-FE will crank slowly at 10 volts or less. Less than 9 volts, and start up is a gamble.
Not sure I'm following you

You're saying the specs that say it has 360 cold cranking amps are false ?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Not sure I'm following you

You're saying the specs that say it has 360 cold cranking amps are false ?
According to their own literature, a 100 amp load drops the voltage to 9. The starter will place more of a load than that on the unit. If it was as powerfull as they state, a starting load wouldnt drop the voltage below 11.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
According to their own literature, a 100 amp load drops the voltage to 9. The starter will place more of a load than that on the unit. If it was as powerfull as they state, a starting load wouldnt drop the voltage below 11.
Where did you find that ?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Where did you find that ?
Google search. Also, talking with a friend of mine, who happens to know a thing or two about batteries, he mentioned that they are listeing the "SHort Circuit" amps, which would make sence. as Odyssey batteries have a 3100 amp rating in that catagory.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Google search. Also, talking with a friend of mine, who happens to know a thing or two about batteries, he mentioned that they are listeing the "SHort Circuit" amps, which would make sence. as Odyssey batteries have a 3100 amp rating in that catagory.
There is more than one model , sure you got the right one ?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #19

Quote:
There is more than one model , sure you got the right one ?
Please.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Please.
Blah

Products Discussed in this Thread