1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 DC/OR: Synthetic now or @ 24K?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brentmeister, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Feb 17, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    Brentmeister

Brentmeister [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Dallas
    I got my new truck yesterday - so far so good...

I was a little suprised to find that it comes with conventional oli - I had assumed they had shifted over to synthetic:

Anyhow I'm in Texas and considering our conditions and that I plan to keep this truck forever- I'm going to synthetic 5w/30.

Here is the question: The dealership offers free oil changes for the first 24K/2y, but it's for the regular dino oil. If I want synthetic - they say I have to pay for it.

Should I go ahead and get the free oil changes for the first 24K with dino or make the switch to synthetic @ the first change and blow off the free changes?

I'm on the fence. I plan to change it at 1K anyway. I know that it's OK to shift to synthetic at any time, but figured it might be good to go ahead and make the shift after the break-in change...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    You can use the free changes whenever you want. I would, and am, using them much before that. 5k service was at 1k, 10k service and "this is a new truck" alignment check at 5k.

Will prob have 15k done at 8k, 20k done at 12k, and 25k done at 15k. They're free, I'd like to do the switch...but why not ride the free pony while you can.

Last truck, I took Mobile 1 Synthetic I bought from Walmart and they put it in for me until the free ones were done...and i could just do it myself. Win win for them. They still get paid for the use of their oil from toyota, but don't have to use any. Lol.

3. Feb 17, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    It doesn't matter when you change from one to the other. If you like free oil changes, there's no harm in letting them do it for a while. On all my new Toyota vehicles, I've went synthetic at my first change. Just my preference.

4. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Just thought I would add my $0.02. I work in a garage and was told it is best to break in the engine for at least 3 to 4 oil changes (9k-12k) before switching to synthetic to let the piston rings seat properly and reduce the chance of oil consumption. It sounds like good advice to me so I am waiting to switch my 2012. Good luck.

5. Feb 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Bingo.

6. Feb 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' reg cab 4x4 2.7L auto
    The oil cap on my 12' says 0-w20 I believe. It was a certified truck and the dealer does lifetime oil changes for free on certified vehicles. I am not sure if I should take advantage of that or do it myself. Not feeling good about whether they will use synthetic.
    I thought that they all come with synthetic from the factory.

Products Discussed in

To Top