Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

dash lights not working after cd player install

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
noobcannon is on a distinguished road
noobcannon's Tacoma Gallery
dash lights not working after cd player install

installed my first cd player yesterday. everything went fine but that night when i turned my headlights on the dash lights went out (speedometer, fuel, etc.). when i would turn my headlights back off, the dash lights behind the steering wheel would come back on. this morning i took out the cd player and noticed i had connected the orange/black wire from the harness to the orange/white from the player. i dc'ed them but now the dash lights do not come on at all, whether the headlights are on or off. the ac and heat lights under the player still work fine, my tailights work fine, pretty everything EXCEPT the dash lights works fine. i also checked what i think is the correct fuse and it does not appear to be blown. that is as far as i have gotten. anyone have any ideas?

also, the dimmer is turned all the way up, it is not the dimmer dial to the left of the steering wheel.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
devenob is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Sheriffs Deputy
Name: Deven
devenob's Tacoma Gallery
next time just get the wire harness adapter its 7 bucks, then all you do is attach the wires from the new CD players harness to the harness adapter then it just plugs into the trucks wiring harness. i think you mixed up the wires in terms of the dimmer. i think its just a straight orange wire to a orange white wire, i did not see any orange black wires on any of the harness's
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

not sure if these will help at all but i am very new to this and thought maybe i ordered something wrong or just made a stupid mistake.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard that connecting the Orange wire incorrectly burns out the dimmer rheostat. I'm not sure where the thread is on here at the moment. I'll see if I can find it.

Here, read the last 10 posts:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...t-working.html
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
well i guess that's what i get for installing it at night with very little light. could have sworn it was orange to orange when i put it in. thanks for the help though.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobcannon View Post
well i guess that's what i get for installing it at night with very little light. could have sworn it was orange to orange when i put it in. thanks for the help though.
There are different ways that Mfgs dim the dash lights. When it comes to the orange/white or orange wires, I usually don't connect them at all. Better than having things go wrong. This dimmer rheostat isn't cheap.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
you arent even supposed to connect the orange wire to anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
you arent even supposed to connect the orange wire to anything.
On some cars/trucks it works fine. On others it can be a disaster. You gotta do your homework first.