1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horrible Fuel Economy on 2013 trd DBCB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by deepcoma, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Feb 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    If you look at my Fuelly links in my signature you can see what I get. I got better mileage it seemed on the highway in my DCLB then I do in my Access Cab. They're both automatic, 4x4, V6, stock except I run the same winter tires as stock summer tires size. I had a hardshell none folding tonneau on the DC and I have a folding tonneau cover on the Access. I found that in my DC in the summer I could push out another 50 km's on a tank and that's doing under the 97 km/h, under 2000 RPM everywhere. Let me just say that was painful. So in the winter time you are going to get worse mileage because of the "winter gas." You're just going to have to wait until you get more km's on the truck. It will get better.

2. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    deepcoma

deepcoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    It's been almost two years and I thought I would update this thread. After 58 fill ups I am averaging 17.5 l/100km or 13.5 mpg. Absolute shit compared to the posted numbers on the Toyota website, dealership feature sheets and government websites. I still love the truck but am not happy about the economy. When I bring this up at the dealership they say the Tacoma does not have good fuel economy. It seems that everyone at Toyota knows this and no one gives a shit that I have a truck that comes no where close to the posted numbers. I would get same fuel economy with a Tundra 5.7!

Not happy...rant over.

3. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My last 2 tanks have been 13 mpg ( US ) as well , tragic

4. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    deepcoma

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Sucks huh? Seriously considering a larger truck as mileage would be the same. Tundra is looking better and better.

5. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    deepcoma

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I'm sure I have given him plenty of reason to hate me too!

6. Dec 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Emohawk

Emohawk Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 TRD
    Man - that is so weird. I have close to 60,000 km on mine now (roughly 60/40 highway/city) and my mileage has been consistently in the high 11's to mid 12's highway and in the 13's to 14's in the city. Hell, I hit 10.4 l/100km on a 350 km highway run a while back (non-hilly area, unlike my normal highway runs).

I don't have to deal with any heavy traffic on my daily commute so maybe that's the difference, but even in the worst conditions in winter slow traffic it has never been that bad. The worst it has been is in the 15's.

Maybe my situation is the weird one!

7. Dec 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    flyingpostman

flyingpostman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Caledon, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab, SR5
    My lifetime average in my 2013 5.0 F150 (over 68,000km) is 13.5L/100km and that includes 2,000km of travel trailer towing.

I would have replaced my Tacoma with a Tundra had Toyota put a more efficient engine in that truck too, but it seems Toyota has abandoned the motors on their trucks for many years. It's a shame because they build good trucks, but seem happy hobbling them and keeping them about 5-10 years behind the times.

8. Dec 17, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I was getting 14-15 mpg, took the Truck to Toyota and complained about the bad mileage. They said the truck needed a full service.

I paid $1,000 for new plugs/filter and all the other stuff, and now I get 13mpg.
    I don't even trust that the new Tacoma with the 3.5L will get over 20mpg, as the cars its used in only get 22.

Looking for a VW Diesel which get 25-27 mpg according to fuelly.

9. Oct 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    babylon5

babylon5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I am also in canada and have read your note. You mentioned you commute is 10 KM's, that is only 6 miles. That will definetly affect your mileage especially in the winter, all the fluids will barely be up to temperaure. I have a 2015 dbcb 4x4 Auto. My commute is 20.5 Kms and my average is around 18.
    Took a long leasurely drive to my sisters cottage with cruise on and speed around 110 KM/HR and average 24.1.

For everyone that still beleives the myth of premium giving bettre milage you really need to watch this.
    If you car is not designed to run on premium you will see no benefit at all. The gas company will though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

Premium has a higher octane which mean its less prone to pre-ignition in higher compression engines. Also higher octane fuel actually burns slower.
    The timing on an engine is set so the spark plug fires a couple of degrees before top dead center (TDC) and why they callit ignition advance.
    This is so that the fuel will be fully burned by the time the piston reaches TDC and will give the highest pressure.
    Prenium burns slower so if you use stock timing (for regular) the fuel will not be fully burnt when the pistion reaches TDC. This wil lactually resulting lower HP and efficency and worse emissions.
    Now some engines have knock sensors/variable timing such that the ECU will be able to tell you are running premium an advance the timing more to compensate. But even then any increase in HP/efficency pales in comparission to the extra price you are paying fore premium.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top