Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

All Pro CV boot review

Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro CV boot review

I think I am on my third or fourth set of outer CV boots (not bad for seven years of abuse) and decided to try All Pro's "long travel" outer CV boots this time. Seems like the inners last a really long time, so I didn't even bother replacing them this time around although I did clean out all the old grease and replace it with new. I can't remember exactly what brand the old ones were, but they were Oreilly "heavy duty" boots that came in a kit. They suck. Dry rotted in just a couple years. The All Pro boots are made of a much higher quality rubber and the extra fins keep them from rubbing.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504frontsuspension/282

I didn't take the inner cup out of the diff, just loosened the clamp and slid the rest of it out. Also I can't remember if you can do it on standard travel trucks, but for LT I just take the UCA bolt out and there is enough room to pop the axle out of the hub.

New AP on the right, old china one on the left.

What the CV looks like. I can't believe these things handle 37's!

The inner is held on with a C clip.

I put 4 oz of CV grease in each side. You are "supposed" to use special grease for each side, but I never have and have had zero issues with the oreilly CV grease that comes in 4 oz tubes.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review. We were just talking about that boot in the OME Suspension thread, so I'll post a link there.

Even though it's O'Reilly branded CV joint grease, that still qualifies as purpose made grease. Iirc, the Tacoma CV joint design is relatively weak compared to the ones used on the Tundra axle, so that might be the way to go if your 37" big boys start causing problems.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Thanks for the review. We were just talking about that boot in the OME Suspension thread, so I'll post a link there.

Even though it's O'Reilly branded CV joint grease, that still qualifies as purpose made grease. Iirc, the Tacoma CV joint design is relatively weak compared to the ones used on the Tundra axle, so that might be the way to go if your 37" big boys start causing problems.
Are the new Tundra axles the same spline and diameter? RCV makes replacement joints that are supposed to be stronger, but the only guy I know running them has had major issues with them. Mine are just stock ends with a 300M shaft, and I haven't had any problems, but I also don't go rock crawling on purpose and only engage the ARB when I absolutely have to.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Are the new Tundra axles the same spline and diameter? RCV makes replacement joints that are supposed to be stronger, but the only guy I know running them has had major issues with them. Mine are just stock ends with a 300M shaft, and I haven't had any problems, but I also don't go rock crawling on purpose and only engage the ARB when I absolutely have to.
I don't remember the exact specifications. I'm pretty sure I read about them or found a link to the specs on TW. If I find the link, I'll let you know.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the thread revival.
How did you manage to get those all pro boots over the axle? Im trying to get mine on. I realize they dont require a clamp, therefor its meant to fit snug. Just wondering if there is a special truck to get it on
Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Sorry for the thread revival.
How did you manage to get those all pro boots over the axle? Im trying to get mine on. I realize they dont require a clamp, therefor its meant to fit snug. Just wondering if there is a special truck to get it on
this is the bates style 930 cv boot right?

if so, use some muscle

i also used a clamp on mine anyways.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
this is the bates style 930 cv boot right?

if so, use some muscle

i also used a clamp on mine anyways.
Hmm im not sure. Its whatever all pro says.
I just dont want to rip the boot
Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
it doesnt say which cv boot it is on the site. but from the pictures posted, it looks like the same one.

rub some grease on the inside hole of the boot and gently slide it over. every one i have installed i have to pull it on.
just put your hands on the small part of the boot when pulling it on so you dont really have a chance to rip it.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Fluffer

'Zactly. Lube the shaft noob.

Update: Boots are still good to go. Would purchase again for sure.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
SPEEDY CRAWLER
just realized were talking about the outer cv joint here...
i only have them on the inners

are they the same boots?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
just realized were talking about the outer cv joint here...
i only have them on the inners

are they the same boots?
No, the outer is smooth inside. The inner has those dimples to fill the tripod joint.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
SPEEDY CRAWLER
my inner doesnt have dimples because i have tundy inners.
the boots are smooth.