LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help me use my scangauge to diagnose P0420 code

Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Help me use my scangauge to diagnose P0420 code

I have a P0420 code (catalyst inefficiency code, bank one). I cleared it once and it came back. Truck runs perfect. No other concerns.

I went on Scanguage's website and found XGauge codes to read air/fuel ratio and O2 sensors. I tried all the codes, and not all of them work. If I understand correctly, the ones I have programmed and working now are A/F ratio for bank 1, A/F ratio for bank 2, number 2 sensor for bank 1, number 2 sensor for bank 2. As far as I can tell, sensor 2 is the downstream sensor after the cat.

Comparing bank 1 and bank 2 readings, I see no differences in behavior between the two banks.

The truck has 64K miles on it. Seems pretty lame to have a CAT die on me. Hoping it's a sensor issue, but sounds like that doesn't happen too often from reading on here.

Still have about 9 months and 16K left on the catalytic converter warranty. Its temping to go down to the dealer and drop it off, but I know nothing about the quality of the staff down there, and I fear being told that I have a CAT bad and need to replace the sensors too because they are damaged, etc, etc. I would rather be educated on what sensor readings would indicate what first. I want to replace only what is needed.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Anybody switched O2 sensors side to side and see if the code moves to the other bank?

Which side is bank 1?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a good place to start.

Do you have a specific reason not to trust that dealership? If you do, try another one. Whatever you do, definitely don't allow your CC warranty to expire before fixing this.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Seems like a good place to start.

Do you have a specific reason not to trust that dealership? If you do, try another one. Whatever you do, definitely don't allow your CC warranty to expire before fixing this.
Yeah, I should take it in there and see what they say. Just trying to avoid the add on of two O2 sensors that I do not need, just to get the CAT warrantied.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Yeah, I should take it in there and see what they say. Just trying to avoid the add on of two O2 sensors that I do not need, just to get the CAT warrantied.
I don't know why you can't have them give you an estimate before any work. If you decide to do any of the work yourself, I don't think it'll be a problem as long as you get it back w/o too many miles for a cat replacement.