Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine turns on then dies

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Engine turns on then dies

So I go to leave this morning, truck turns on for about 5 seconds and then goes off. I start it again, same thing except shorter. It dies after about 2 seconds.

Now all I can do is start it and it dies almost right away. What is this sounding like? Fuel filter? pump? My truck hasn't done this before.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Havent heard of this issue before.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJay View Post
Mine did that when I had problems with the MAF sensor. Also check for vacuum leaks.
I read in a few places about the MAF...I guess I could start there since that is the easiest
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
MAF was fine..also reading, people with a bad transponder key has this behavior
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
MAF was fine..also reading, people with a bad transponder key has this behavior
I guess you can always try your spare keys.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Clean the Throttle Body as well. Shouldn't die that quick, should just be a bad idle and then possibly die.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I guess you can always try your spare keys.
I'll see if I can find my spare edit::found the spare, still no workie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw1 View Post
Clean the Throttle Body as well. Shouldn't die that quick, should just be a bad idle and then possibly die.
I have an extra throttle body so rather than cleaning it, I just replaced it just now and still no luck. Doing the same behavior
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
11.8 when off, cant really test when its on since i'm the only one here and it dies too quickly. Does anyone know where I can find the fuel filter? I've been searching and cant find how to replace it
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
oh one thing to note about the battery, a few weeks ago, I was tightening the negative onto the battery and the terminal slipped out about an inch..I pounded it back in with a rubber mallet and all has been good since then. If it was a bad battery, it wouldn't turn over at all though right?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
11.8 when off, cant really test when its on since i'm the only one here and it dies too quickly. Does anyone know where I can find the fuel filter? I've been searching and cant find how to replace it
Its a possibility it can be the battery but you would think after enough engine turn-overs it would completely die on you.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the key isn't being recognized for some reason?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
oh one thing to note about the battery, a few weeks ago, I was tightening the negative onto the battery and the terminal slipped out about an inch..I pounded it back in with a rubber mallet and all has been good since then. If it was a bad battery, it wouldn't turn over at all though right?
Thats what I would assume. Just to be sure though do you have another battery you can get from another vehicle and try swapping it?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
ok just had the truck sitting for about 30 mins, started it up again and, bam! its on! Its been on for a few minutes now.

Check engine light is on and the idle is sitting right above 1000 RPMs.. I still dont trust it..

maybe it took a little while to recognize the new throttle body?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
ok just had the truck sitting for about 30 mins, started it up again and, bam! its on! Its been on for a few minutes now.

Check engine light is on and the idle is sitting right above 1000 RPMs.. I still dont trust it..
Hmmm....thats really weird.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Ok idle is normal now..probably just took a little while to warm up..engine light still on
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the code scanned ASAP. Hard to really diagnose something like that without having all the information. There are so many sensors and such that could cause that condition. Let us know what the code is and we can help you from there! Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem with an 09 I had, turns out the key wasn't being recognized so the truck thought it was being stolen and shut itself down. But to fix it the dealership told me I had to replace the computer because something was wrong with the current one and it wouldn't reprogram to the keys.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
I had this problem with an 09 I had, turns out the key wasn't being recognized so the truck thought it was being stolen and shut itself down. But to fix it the dealership told me I had to replace the computer because something was wrong with the current one and it wouldn't reprogram to the keys.
Did you end up replacing your computer? If so how much did that run you?