Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck not starting... Help please!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Truck not starting... Help please!

So got in a small accident and now my truck won't start.
The starter won't click what so ever.
The battery is solid and turns the lights, dash, wipers, radio etc on.
Not really sure where to start with this one so any help/guidance would be really appreciated.

Did hit some mud so not sure if the starter got wet?

I'm on my phone so sorry for the pretty vague description.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the battery cable for a few minutes and try it again, maybe the ECU locked up?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Pull the battery cable for a few minutes and try it again, maybe the ECU locked up?
O guess I forgot to mention. Pulled off the battery overnight and same results as before. Accessories and such worked but no crank or click
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
If you ain't first, you're last!
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
You might just have a bad starter. I replaced mine back last year and I was having the same problem.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylershane17 View Post
You might just have a bad starter. I replaced mine back last year and I was having the same problem.
Yeah I was thinking that too. Any other possibilities? Blown fuse or fuses orrrrrr
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Truck was starting perfectly fine before the accident though
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Truck was starting perfectly fine before the accident though
Pics of accident.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the battery cable and stand on the brakes for a few minutes to drain everything all the way, Check the fuses both under the hood and under the dash. Check the voltage to make sure your battery has got enough juice. what the the accident like?? could it have pushed the started enough to disconnect it or bind it?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
If you ain't first, you're last!
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
Try gently tapping the starter with a hammer.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhh2000 View Post
Pull the battery cable and stand on the brakes for a few minutes to drain everything all the way, Check the fuses both under the hood and under the dash. Check the voltage to make sure your battery has got enough juice. what the the accident like?? could it have pushed the started enough to disconnect it or bind it?
yeah guess ill start checking fuses.
It was a side hit then head on with a wet muddy hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylershane17 View Post
Try gently tapping the starter with a hammer.
did that
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
like bhp2000 said, check your battery with a muti meter and see if you have 12-14 volts, if not could be the battery or in the charging system.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
like bhp2000 said, check your battery with a muti meter and see if you have 12-14 volts, if not could be the battery or in the charging system.
cool i'll give that a whirl thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
Fully charged, it should read 12.6V. I've seen cars that won't start with batteries that read 12.0V.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Voltage or amps?

Not sure about a Taco but, some cars & trucks kill the fuel pump when they get wrecked. It may require being reset when crashed...though I would think it would still crank...any Taco techs around?

I would check all connections from battery to starter for tightness & ensure they are clean & free of corrosion as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Mud? How much? Engine covered?

The suspension coated, and engine not really. Under skids full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn1911 View Post
Fully charged, it should read 12.6V. I've seen cars that won't start with batteries that read 12.0V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Check for voltage at the starter as well . Could be blown fuse link on the starter or neutral safety switch wiring for your clutch
ill check for voltage.
any idea which fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Voltage or amps?

Not sure about a Taco but, some cars & trucks kill the fuel pump. It may require being reset when crashed...though I would think it would still crank...any Taco techs around?

I would check all connections from battery to starter for tightness & ensure they are clean & free of corrosion as well.
Will do this as well
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
So the truck doesnt crank but accesories work .
Turn the ignition switch on and check for voltage at the starter , then
You may need someone holding the key in the crank position as you are testing for crank voltage at the starter . Make sure they put the clutch down to the floor as you are testing for crank voltage .
I am thinking broken or loose wiring after the mishap .
Most starters give you indications of failure before they fail . This problem happened after you hit the mud .
Blown fuses under hood , bad fuseable link at starter or faulty clutch neutral safety switch wiring
You got a test light I hope ?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
Truck probably went into some weird safety mode. I was in an accident and the truck shut off and all accessories stayed on, i tried starting it back up because i was kind of in the middle of the rd and it wouldn't do anything, but then after a few minutes of coming out of the truck and calming down i realizes i was trying to start it while it was still in drive. Then again my drive shaft pulled out from the transmission so i would say its a good thing it shut off and after i realized it came out i didn't try to start it back up. Honestly cant tell you how it was started back up. It was towed to the shop and picked it up like new.