Notices

Couple Questions about new 2005 tacoma

Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
TacoGuy171 is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army: 2VP
Name: Dan
TacoGuy171's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Couple Questions about new 2005 tacoma

Hello all,i am a new member of tacomaworld.com and also a new owner of a tacoma, i have a 2005 tacoma trd sr5 4x4, i had a couple questions what is the screen closest to the front windshield used for or display? It never has power and is always off but seems to have a button near it wondering what it is, also beside my steering wheel there is a little red button above the clutch cancel on start button pushed it dont know what it does though, If anyone has any info would be appreciated thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Pics?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Both items sound like aftermarket add-ons from the previous owner. Got pics?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

top row, middle. little button beside 400W

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

I also figured out the overhead little screen display is, from finding pics online i see it is for the temperature and the direction. Mine is just blank though not sure why it wouldnt be working any ideas?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
grrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura about

grrillA's Tacoma Gallery
aftermarket, could be anything, probably took out whatever it was hooked up to though
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuy171 View Post
That is definitely aftermarket, as well as all three of the ones to the right of the mirror controls.

I think the screen you're talking about is the temperature and direction display.

EDIT- Seems like you figured it out. There is some writeup on here for fixing the temp / direction gauge. Just search for it.

Matt
Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what is the screen closest to the front windshield used for or display? It never has power and is always off but seems to have a button near it wondering what it is
Are you talking about the screen in the headliner? If so, it's a temperature and compass display. It's known for having poorly soldered resisters, but it's easily fixed (had to fix mine already). Click here to see a thread on it.

Edit: I see you figured it out by the time I submitted my post.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hello all,i am a new member of tacomaworld.com and also a new owner of a tacoma, i have a 2005 tacoma trd sr5 4x4, i had a couple questions what is the screen closest to the front windshield used for or display? It never has power and is always off but seems to have a button near it wondering what it is, also beside my steering wheel there is a little red button above the clutch cancel on start button pushed it dont know what it does though, If anyone has any info would be appreciated thanks.
Sounds like your overhead compass/temperature display does not work?

It is an easy fix in most cases. Happens a lot. I fixed mine almost three years ago and still going. Dealer wants $800 for parts and $250 for labor for something you can do in 30mins.

Linky: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-temp-fix.html

Edit: ^^^ Damn, too slow again...
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #11

ok thanks i will search for it but no clue on what the red button would be for eh,? does the 2005 sr5 trd have a rear locking diff i thought it did and i thought thats what the button was probably for inless there is another button for it somewhere else i dont know about
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the link for compass/temperature display, really appreciate it
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok thanks i will search for it but no clue on what the red button would be for eh,? does the 2005 sr5 trd have a rear locking diff i thought it did and i thought thats what the button was probably for inless there is another button for it somewhere else i dont know about
That could be the rear locker... Maybe the owner relocated it

If you have the off road it does have a locker for sure
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Where would the original button/switch be for the rear locker then?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
does the 2005 sr5 trd have a rear locking diff i thought it did and i thought thats what the button was probably for inless there is another button for it somewhere else i dont know about
Only if it's the Off Road TRD package (the Sport TRD package does not have a locking rear diff - it has a mechanical limited slip rear diff for that year).
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In that spot. That's where mine is
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Where would the original button/switch be for the rear locker then?
Where your mystery red button is located.

Edit: Aahhhh! I'm 3 for 3 in this thread with posting answers to questions that where answered as I was slowly pecking out my responses on my phone!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #18

Here
Attached Thumbnails
Couple Questions about new 2005 tacoma-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

When you press the mystery button does a pic of a axle flash?

In the dash? Lower right corner
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #20

Ok just checked it is a trd sr5 sport, sorry about that so it does not have a rear locking diff, my bad have only had this truck for 2 days now. how does a mechanical limited slip rear diff work if you dont mind me asking? And my truck has this then correct?