1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for an air compressor, jump starter and battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slmgt, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    My research so far has pointed me to three recommended items in their respective categories:

Air Compressor:
    Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor

Jump Starter:
    Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp Ultraportable 12-Volt Jump Starter with Light

Battery:
    Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500T-A Automotive/Light Truck and Van Battery

All of them were mentioned in some shape or form on TW. I have had some slow starts with my Tacoma and want to avoid that in the future with a better battery (sad the OEM one has only lasted just over 2 years). But I also want to be able to jump start not only my pickup, but also other vehicles (smaller and larger alike, up to V8, let's say 5.7L or less).

I would like to be able to use the air compressor for double duty; 1) filling up tires (265/65/17 + others, smaller and larger alike) and 2) for occasional cleaning of equipment. I'm a bit concerned about #2 since this compressor's power source is a car battery. I wouldn't want to have to jump start my battery after draining it using the air compressor :).

Final note: I am not particularly mechanically-savvy and don't plan to use the jump starter and/or compressor all too frequently. Reliability is important, however.

Are these good choices for my circumstances; if not, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

2. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I have a PSX Powerstation that I got from Costco years ago. I couldn't tell you how many times I've filled up tires on my truck or other vehicles or jumpstarted a vehicle with it, but its been used a lot and still works perfectly. Probably one of the best tools I own.

3. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    slmgt

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the recommendation.

It doesn't have quite as strong supporters as the Jump-N-Carry listed, but it also costs a good deal less than both the compressor and jump starter combined...

I didn't see it on Costco's [dismal] website, but I eventually found it on Amazon with 3.5 Stars and 27 reviews: http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-PSX-Multi-Purpose-Vehicle-Compressor/dp/B002YVU8WS

4. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    I have a Viair 300p and it's been great so far :thumbsup:

5. Feb 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    That is the model I have too. Works perfect. I had the model that Costco sold before and it worked well for 2-3 years (longer than I expected) then it just started beeping at me...and wouldn't stop. The battery didn't die, after the third day of beeping, I called Costco, they told me to bring it back. The chick told me to put it outside cause she didn't want to listen to it...and gave me a full cash refund I took the money and got the PSX. Costco Rocks.
    If for no other reason, get the Costco one cause they are awesome when it comes to returns.

6. Feb 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    slmgt

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    I've heard great things about Viair compressors which is what got me interested in having a jump starter too. I figured if I had an air compressor, why not get a jump starter too? Slippery slopes I tell ya...

I'm going on a Costco run this week probably so I'll look for the PSX; it sounds to me like a good mid-way point between industrial grade compressor/starter and useless tool.

How is the PSX's reliability/durability/quality? I don't know plan to use it often, but when I do, I prefer it work.

Thanks everyone!!

7. Feb 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i think there is a compressor for sale in classifieds.

8. Feb 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    Did you see the dude who got an AC compressor and retro fitted it into an air compressor and hooked it up next to his power steering so it runs off his serpantine belt? That is awesome sauce.

9. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I air up tires with mine on nearly a daily basis, and have jumped at least 50 vehicles in the 4years I've had mine. I charge it once a month. Definitely well built, especially for the money.

10. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    tacomaconvert

tacomaconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 White SR5 DC 4X4
    Factory roof rack, bed extender Extang Full Tilt Tonneau
  11. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Search "Puma 12V compressor."
    Among the various reviews attesting to its longevity, cfm output, and rock-bottom price, you'll also likely end up at Buzzard Gulch's EvilBay store where you can get it for about $200 shipped to your door. I am currently waiting for mine to arrive any day, after having had the lovely but all-too-expected experience of my MV-50 dying on me.

As for a jump-starter, if you run two batteries, or, barring installation cost, carry a spare battery like I do, there's no need to consider a jump-starter. Especially since you're already asking about an upgraded battery.
    In fact, you might just want to run dual batteries in an isolated-circuit system. That way, if one dies/drains out, you have another to be able to jump from, and you get the added benefit of having a battery dedicated to secondary circuits (winch, lighting, fridge, stereo, whatever). This is the route I will eventually be going, once my stock battery dies (I already have a new Optima BlueTop from my old truck sitting around).
    One last advantage of dual batteries over a jump-starter is that you can, in a pinch, use them for emergency welding on the trail.
    I guess what I'm saying is, two batteries gives you many more benefits than one battery and one jump-starter, and at negligible additional cost.

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    One of these days I will figure out how to make my York AC compressor work on a Tacoma. I have all the parts, it's just a matter of time, and the little nuisance fact that there's just no space in the Tacoma V6 engine bay to fit the damn thing.
    I will make it fit. Oh, yes. I will make it fit. :drevil:

13. Feb 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    slmgt

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    Good to know! I don't think I'll quite be using it to that extent... An occasional charge, jump and inflate (in no particular order) should be the story of it's life.

That looks like a pretty sweet unit. But I am challenged because the price is on par with two separate units I mentioned previously, which would give me failover protection should one fail, the other would at least work still. Though the USB charging feature alone could definitely come in handy...

The air compressor looks to be quite the powerhouse. Overkill for my needs though :p. Having an extra battery on hand is forward-thinking; I likely wouldn't use it for on-trail welding or anything extreme, 'less you consider mall-crawlin' ultra extreme... hehe :D

:der:

14. Feb 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Why would he compressor be limited on tire size? What would prohibit you from filling a 35?

15. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    If you have enough time, nothing. If you want to fill a big tire quickly, a bigger compressor is in order, as a small one with limited duty cycle will overheat if run continuously for too long.

16. Mar 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    slmgt

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the advice and recommendations! The PSX2 Power Station had just the right mix of tools in one package. I picked it up yesterday from Costco for $70+tax. It appears to be just the right fit for me, capable yet portable, reliable yet inexpensive, and it even looks pretty good to boot!

Thanks again y'all!

Products Discussed in

To Top