Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for an air compressor, jump starter and battery

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for an air compressor, jump starter and battery

My research so far has pointed me to three recommended items in their respective categories:

Air Compressor:
Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor

Jump Starter:
Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp Ultraportable 12-Volt Jump Starter with Light

Battery:
Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500T-A Automotive/Light Truck and Van Battery

All of them were mentioned in some shape or form on TW. I have had some slow starts with my Tacoma and want to avoid that in the future with a better battery (sad the OEM one has only lasted just over 2 years). But I also want to be able to jump start not only my pickup, but also other vehicles (smaller and larger alike, up to V8, let's say 5.7L or less).

I would like to be able to use the air compressor for double duty; 1) filling up tires (265/65/17 + others, smaller and larger alike) and 2) for occasional cleaning of equipment. I'm a bit concerned about #2 since this compressor's power source is a car battery. I wouldn't want to have to jump start my battery after draining it using the air compressor .

Final note: I am not particularly mechanically-savvy and don't plan to use the jump starter and/or compressor all too frequently. Reliability is important, however.

Are these good choices for my circumstances; if not, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I have a PSX Powerstation that I got from Costco years ago. I couldn't tell you how many times I've filled up tires on my truck or other vehicles or jumpstarted a vehicle with it, but its been used a lot and still works perfectly. Probably one of the best tools I own.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I have a PSX Powerstation that I got from Costco years ago. I couldn't tell you how many times I've filled up tires on my truck or other vehicles or jumpstarted a vehicle with it, but its been used a lot and still works perfectly. Probably one of the best tools I own.

Thanks for the recommendation.

It doesn't have quite as strong supporters as the Jump-N-Carry listed, but it also costs a good deal less than both the compressor and jump starter combined...

I didn't see it on Costco's [dismal] website, but I eventually found it on Amazon with 3.5 Stars and 27 reviews: http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-P.../dp/B002YVU8WS
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the model I have too. Works perfect. I had the model that Costco sold before and it worked well for 2-3 years (longer than I expected) then it just started beeping at me...and wouldn't stop. The battery didn't die, after the third day of beeping, I called Costco, they told me to bring it back. The chick told me to put it outside cause she didn't want to listen to it...and gave me a full cash refund I took the money and got the PSX. Costco Rocks.
If for no other reason, get the Costco one cause they are awesome when it comes to returns.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
I have a Viair 300p and it's been great so far
I've heard great things about Viair compressors which is what got me interested in having a jump starter too. I figured if I had an air compressor, why not get a jump starter too? Slippery slopes I tell ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SpeedwaySport View Post
That is the model I have too. Works perfect. I had the model that Costco sold before and it worked well for 2-3 years (longer than I expected) then it just started beeping at me...and wouldn't stop. The battery didn't die, after the third day of beeping, I called Costco, they told me to bring it back. The chick told me to put it outside cause she didn't want to listen to it...and gave me a full cash refund I took the money and got the PSX. Costco Rocks.
If for no other reason, get the Costco one cause they are awesome when it comes to returns.
I'm going on a Costco run this week probably so I'll look for the PSX; it sounds to me like a good mid-way point between industrial grade compressor/starter and useless tool.

How is the PSX's reliability/durability/quality? I don't know plan to use it often, but when I do, I prefer it work.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i think there is a compressor for sale in classifieds.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Did you see the dude who got an AC compressor and retro fitted it into an air compressor and hooked it up next to his power steering so it runs off his serpantine belt? That is awesome sauce.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
I've heard great things about Viair compressors which is what got me interested in having a jump starter too. I figured if I had an air compressor, why not get a jump starter too? Slippery slopes I tell ya...

I'm going on a Costco run this week probably so I'll look for the PSX; it sounds to me like a good mid-way point between industrial grade compressor/starter and useless tool.

How is the PSX's reliability/durability/quality? I don't know plan to use it often, but when I do, I prefer it work.

Thanks everyone!!
I air up tires with mine on nearly a daily basis, and have jumped at least 50 vehicles in the 4years I've had mine. I charge it once a month. Definitely well built, especially for the money.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
tacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomaconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Die Hard makes a nice unit I bought at sears a few years ago. Air compressor, jump starter, ac and dc power source, usb plug charger.
http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do...00P&sid=&psid=
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Search "Puma 12V compressor."
Among the various reviews attesting to its longevity, cfm output, and rock-bottom price, you'll also likely end up at Buzzard Gulch's EvilBay store where you can get it for about $200 shipped to your door. I am currently waiting for mine to arrive any day, after having had the lovely but all-too-expected experience of my MV-50 dying on me.

As for a jump-starter, if you run two batteries, or, barring installation cost, carry a spare battery like I do, there's no need to consider a jump-starter. Especially since you're already asking about an upgraded battery.
In fact, you might just want to run dual batteries in an isolated-circuit system. That way, if one dies/drains out, you have another to be able to jump from, and you get the added benefit of having a battery dedicated to secondary circuits (winch, lighting, fridge, stereo, whatever). This is the route I will eventually be going, once my stock battery dies (I already have a new Optima BlueTop from my old truck sitting around).
One last advantage of dual batteries over a jump-starter is that you can, in a pinch, use them for emergency welding on the trail.
I guess what I'm saying is, two batteries gives you many more benefits than one battery and one jump-starter, and at negligible additional cost.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
One of these days I will figure out how to make my York AC compressor work on a Tacoma. I have all the parts, it's just a matter of time, and the little nuisance fact that there's just no space in the Tacoma V6 engine bay to fit the damn thing.
I will make it fit. Oh, yes. I will make it fit.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I air up tires with mine on nearly a daily basis, and have jumped at least 50 vehicles in the 4years I've had mine. I charge it once a month. Definitely well built, especially for the money.
Good to know! I don't think I'll quite be using it to that extent... An occasional charge, jump and inflate (in no particular order) should be the story of it's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaconvert View Post
Die Hard makes a nice unit I bought at sears a few years ago. Air compressor, jump starter, ac and dc power source, usb plug charger.
http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do...00P&sid=&psid=
That looks like a pretty sweet unit. But I am challenged because the price is on par with two separate units I mentioned previously, which would give me failover protection should one fail, the other would at least work still. Though the USB charging feature alone could definitely come in handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
Search "Puma 12V compressor."
Among the various reviews attesting to its longevity, cfm output, and rock-bottom price, you'll also likely end up at Buzzard Gulch's EvilBay store where you can get it for about $200 shipped to your door. I am currently waiting for mine to arrive any day, after having had the lovely but all-too-expected experience of my MV-50 dying on me.

As for a jump-starter, if you run two batteries, or, barring installation cost, carry a spare battery like I do, there's no need to consider a jump-starter. Especially since you're already asking about an upgraded battery.
In fact, you might just want to run dual batteries in an isolated-circuit system. That way, if one dies/drains out, you have another to be able to jump from, and you get the added benefit of having a battery dedicated to secondary circuits (winch, lighting, fridge, stereo, whatever). This is the route I will eventually be going, once my stock battery dies (I already have a new Optima BlueTop from my old truck sitting around).
One last advantage of dual batteries over a jump-starter is that you can, in a pinch, use them for emergency welding on the trail.
I guess what I'm saying is, two batteries gives you many more benefits than one battery and one jump-starter, and at negligible additional cost.
The air compressor looks to be quite the powerhouse. Overkill for my needs though . Having an extra battery on hand is forward-thinking; I likely wouldn't use it for on-trail welding or anything extreme, 'less you consider mall-crawlin' ultra extreme... hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
One of these days I will figure out how to make my York AC compressor work on a Tacoma. I have all the parts, it's just a matter of time, and the little nuisance fact that there's just no space in the Tacoma V6 engine bay to fit the damn thing.
I will make it fit. Oh, yes. I will make it fit.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Why would he compressor be limited on tire size? What would prohibit you from filling a 35?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Why would he compressor be limited on tire size? What would prohibit you from filling a 35?
If you have enough time, nothing. If you want to fill a big tire quickly, a bigger compressor is in order, as a small one with limited duty cycle will overheat if run continuously for too long.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations! The PSX2 Power Station had just the right mix of tools in one package. I picked it up yesterday from Costco for $70+tax. It appears to be just the right fit for me, capable yet portable, reliable yet inexpensive, and it even looks pretty good to boot!

Thanks again y'all!

Products Discussed in this Thread