Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just got rear ended....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Just got rear ended....

Just got back home from eating out in Boone, NC...we left and were sitting at a stoplight that was red, waiting on it to turn green. All of the sudden my truck gets jarred from the rear and I realize what has happened. I get out and see my bumper on the right side pushed in with a small crease...I had a hitch ball on which I think may have helped me...not sure...hell maybe it made it worse. Anyway, the plastic in front of my license plate is scuffed up pretty good...I notice in the light when we get home that my bumper hit the bed and scuffed it up just a bit on the right side...and my bumper is obviously crooked now. I also noticed the gap between my cab on the passenger side is noticeably closer than on the driver side. The guy that hit me admitted to looking down to read a text when he hit us....go figure. I loved how he conveniently forgot to tell the cop that when he arrived...but I was sure to tell the cop myself. The vehicle that hit me was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and luckily it looks like he has State Farm insurance....I have progressive and have already called and filed my claim.
What pissed me off, besides the fact that he hit me...is that he proceeded to tell me that Maaco could fix my bumper for $20 bucks...they can "pop it right out" he said. I quickly told him No, they can't fix it for that, and paint it SWB, and fix the fact that it is crooked, scuffed, creased, and has knocked my bed out of alignment....not to mention whatever else may be bent that can't be seen. I informed him that my truck would be fixed correctly by a qualified shop and my bumper would be replaced....not merely fixed or popped out. Really? That truck is my baby...I work way too hard to have it.

This is where I need some advice...I have never been in an accident before...what tips can you all give me to make sure my baby is fixed right and that I get the maximum amount of insurance money from his insurance company? Progressive is due to come look at my truck before 5pm tomorrow.

Also, what are the chances that he has done major damage since my bed is out of line and my bumper was pushed against the bed?

I'm very grateful for any tips you can give...I have a 2011 TRD DbL Cab Sport...SWB....I can load pics tomorrow once it's daylight...it isn't awfully bad but it's there.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
OP, aren't you in some kind of Law Enforcement?

Anyways, pictures, pictures, pictures. What did the officer on scene say to you? Anything? Do you feel he sided well with you in the matter? You were hit from behind so you're holding the ball in your court.

You have the right to have your vehicle brought back to its original state before the incident occurred.

I'd recommend you call your insurance as well to get the ball rolling. I'd search around your local area for a shop you'd like to bring it to. Yelp can help and also your insurance can lead you to the right one as well. I'd call the shop to speak to the owner/manager to get a feel for the business. Expectations on repairs with OEM parts and length of time.

Do NOT let the other insurance company punk you in anyway you're not 100% satisfied.

Good Luck
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Hire a lawyer to do all of the paperwork for you.

Otherwise you will be screwed.

I hired a lawyer.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ Hire a lawyer? Your back also suddenly hurts. . .

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
By hiring a lawyer, I do not mean sue the person. The lawyer will work with the insurance company and he/she will know how to settle. And if there is something questionable about the accident, it may be worthwhile for the lawyer to file for arbitration, which will make the at-fault's insurance want to settle after the deposition gets all of the facts straight.

Trust me.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
I never said anything about health problems. The lawyer is there to settle the accident so you don't come out of this with a little more than zero dollars...

Lots of people try to take care of it themselves and it becomes a headache.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ Seems like a open shut case without having to hire a lawyer. He got rear ended while he was stopped.

I don't see how he can get screwed in on this. The lawyer portion would be fantastic in a NON open and shut case.

When i said your back hurts. It was a joke in regards to hiring the lawyer. Hence the smily face in regards. .
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Call the nearest Lexus or BMW dealer and ask them who does their body work for them -- they typically don't do it in-house and have very high standards. Take the truck there and get them to estimate it as well, and point out all the damage you can see. Let them know you are picky. They will make sure to fix it right the first time and will justify the repairs with whatever insurance company is paying.

I did this back in 2005 on my 1st gen, and the repair bill was about 13,500 after getting an initial estimate of 7,000 from the drunk lady's crappy insurance company. Kind of felt silly taking my truck in to a place like that, but they were willing to fix it since it was practically new.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD View Post
^ Seems like a open shut case without having to hire a lawyer. He got rear ended while he was stopped.

I don't see how he can get screwed in on this. The lawyer portion would be fantastic in a NON open and shut case.

Agreed, lawyers are douchebags usually anyways. And the cost for the lawyer is gonna come out the OP's pocket likely (or his repair budget if he takes the check)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
A good insurance company (yours) should deal with this and you shouldn't have to worry about it. They should be dealing with his insurance and demanding what is right. Your premiums are paying for more than just when they have to fix something.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
It is your own opinion, as it is mine.

I am simply stating my experience, which was successful. And I know a lot of people who have done the same thing. It avoids a lot of trouble.

And it helps with open and shut cases as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #14

RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ If it helps, I work for a large Socal Insurance company for the past 7 years. I don't see him needing to hire a lawyer.

That just imho. . .

I appreciate your opinion and experience as well. Glad it worked well for you.

Good luck OP.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
Banned
Farfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shedFarfal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
Farfal's Tacoma Gallery
Rent a paragraph mark too.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Thanks all for the replies. It's dark or I would post pics...I will in the morning sometime. I filed a claim immediately after the accident with Progressive. I also called a trusted friend who has recommended a nearby shop that I have heard good things about. She is going to go with me tomorrow for an estimate once progressive looks at my truck. And yes, I am in LE...Deputy Sheriff. I guess aside from the fact that its a straight up headache, my concern is not to get shafted on the work being done on my truck...shop wise and money wise. I will not settle for just a patch job. I want it back to the way it was before the accident. I.e. OEM parts and all.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfal View Post
Rent a paragraph mark too.
???
Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the club.
Just let your insurance company handle it,thats best.
Can you say Off Road Bumper ?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
Back when i got rear ended in oct12, i had a tone of damage done to me by some tard in a tundra doing like 30-40 mph faster than me when he hit me. i filed through my insurance to expedite the process, having my insurance handle all the crap between his provider and the body shop. I then took my taco into a body shop that was Toyota approved for major repairs. I was not paying for it so it didnt matter on the cost to fix my baby. My provider came out to do an inspection as well as the tundras provider. the shop basically said this is how much its gonna cost for parts and labor and both providers agreed($8000ish). and i got a decent rental car, dont settle for a POS focus or any of the cheap one the providers say they'll put you in. you should get something close to or equal to what you drive.
thats a rant i think
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenpre View Post
Thanks all for the replies. It's dark or I would post pics...I will in the morning sometime. I filed a claim immediately after the accident with Progressive. I also called a trusted friend who has recommended a nearby shop that I have heard good things about. She is going to go with me tomorrow for an estimate once progressive looks at my truck. And yes, I am in LE...Deputy Sheriff. I guess aside from the fact that its a straight up headache, my concern is not to get shafted on the work being done on my truck...shop wise and money wise. I will not settle for just a patch job. I want it back to the way it was before the accident. I.e. OEM parts and all.
You are off to an excellent start. If I recall correctly, there was a law passed that allows you to take your car to any shop you want to for repairs. At least, that is what the law is in Oregon.

Good luck to you! Sorry about your truck. I feel your pain.