Notices

Key Locked In Ignition

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
ZachRidesGlamis is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
ZachRidesGlamis's Tacoma Gallery
Key Locked In Ignition

Hey TW,

After reading all of these topics about the problems people have had with their trucks I thought I would share one that I had and see if anybody else has had the issue.

I have noticed on some occasions that when i get into my truck and try to turn the key it won't turn. It goes one click forward but locks afterwards and won't come back or go forward, and i can't pull it out. The only solution i have found is to use the adjuster to telescope the wheel and move it up and down which I assume somehow loosens the key to where it can come out or start.

I have only experienced this problem twice in about six months and it is a mild inconvenience but I still love this truck! Anybody else seen this happen to them as well?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachRidesGlamis View Post
Hey TW,

After reading all of these topics about the problems people have had with their trucks I thought I would share one that I had and see if anybody else has had the issue.

I have noticed on some occasions that when i get into my truck and try to turn the key it won't turn. It goes one click forward but locks afterwards and won't come back or go forward, and i can't pull it out. The only solution i have found is to use the adjuster to telescope the wheel and move it up and down which I assume somehow loosens the key to where it can come out or start.

I have only experienced this problem twice in about six months and it is a mild inconvenience but I still love this truck! Anybody else seen this happen to them as well?
i have had this problem when i lock the steering wheel(key isnt in the truck and try to turn the wheel it will lock) i just shove the key in and shake the wheel left and right works everytime.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Txfly is on a distinguished road
Txfly's Tacoma Gallery
I had that issue happen on a Mitsu I owned....I found that if I had the wheels (tires) turned (esp on a hill) they would kick the wheel back and not let the key come out.
Make sure your hand is off the wheel when you turn off the key, or give it a shake left and right and let it settle before you turn it off.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
crank the wheel back and forth and try and remove your key simultaneously
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhitchen View Post
crank the wheel back and forth and try and remove your key simultaneously
^ this.. your steering lock is prob on and jammed up a bit.. grab the wheel and tug on one side first while trying to release key, then the other.. it can need some force on the wheel.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
i have had this problem when i lock the steering wheel(key isnt in the truck and try to turn the wheel it will lock) i just shove the key in and shake the wheel left and right works everytime.

This^^

There is a comment in the owners manual stating this. Well on my 2007 that is and my daughters 2010 corrola.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
CraigS is on a distinguished road
CraigS's Tacoma Gallery
The OP has a problem when he gets INTO his truck so I don't know if that has anything to do w/ the steering lock. My experience as a Lexus tech, retired for 12 months now, says replace the ignition lock assembly. I have done many dozens of these in RXs and LXs. People put up w/ wiggling the thing around and getting it to work OK at that time. Eventually the key locks up and can't be moved or removed.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^ are you sufggesting we actually take the time to read threads before responding to them??!! ok then..