1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key Locked In Ignition

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ZachRidesGlamis, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Feb 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    ZachRidesGlamis

ZachRidesGlamis [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 O/R AC/LB
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit, N-Fab Wheel to Wheel Steps
    Hey TW,

After reading all of these topics about the problems people have had with their trucks I thought I would share one that I had and see if anybody else has had the issue.

I have noticed on some occasions that when i get into my truck and try to turn the key it won't turn. It goes one click forward but locks afterwards and won't come back or go forward, and i can't pull it out. :locked: The only solution i have found is to use the adjuster to telescope the wheel and move it up and down which I assume somehow loosens the key to where it can come out or start.

I have only experienced this problem twice in about six months and it is a mild inconvenience but I still love this truck! Anybody else seen this happen to them as well?

2. Feb 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    i have had this problem when i lock the steering wheel(key isnt in the truck and try to turn the wheel it will lock) i just shove the key in and shake the wheel left and right works everytime.

3. Mar 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    '09 Dbl cab, TRD suspension plus 2" lift, LEDS, FJ TRD rims. All around pretty mild.
    I had that issue happen on a Mitsu I owned....I found that if I had the wheels (tires) turned (esp on a hill) they would kick the wheel back and not let the key come out.
    Make sure your hand is off the wheel when you turn off the key, or give it a shake left and right and let it settle before you turn it off.
    Hope this helps.

4. Mar 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    jjhitchen

jjhitchen Relentless

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 V6
    100% stock Tacoma
    crank the wheel back and forth and try and remove your key simultaneously

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4

This^^

There is a comment in the owners manual stating this. Well on my 2007 that is and my daughters 2010 corrola.

6. Mar 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    CraigS

CraigS Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    11 4dr TRD Sport
    The OP has a problem when he gets INTO his truck so I don't know if that has anything to do w/ the steering lock. My experience as a Lexus tech, retired for 12 months now, says replace the ignition lock assembly. I have done many dozens of these in RXs and LXs. People put up w/ wiggling the thing around and getting it to work OK at that time. Eventually the key locks up and can't be moved or removed.

Products Discussed in

To Top