LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oem locking tailgate handle?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mattnatti's Tacoma Gallery
Oem locking tailgate handle?

I have a part # for a Toyota locking tailgate handle but I cannot find a diagram on any of the Toyota online parts stores to verify.

The part # I have is...00016-35150

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Try

Parts listing here:http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/pr...gate-lock-2013

Instructions for install are here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/017...-35150.pdf?256
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Jimmyh, that helps.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
ericf is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
ericf's Tacoma Gallery
tailgate lock

I bought a 2013 just before Christmas. I inquired about an OEM lock at that time. The parts Dept. said "None were made / Available From Toyota". He suggested aftermarket.
In the posted link for instructions (above) , the print even says "POP and Lock".
If that is what your buying (a re-badged item), you can find it for less.
Also, Be aware that the key used isn't your ignition key. You will have to put a different key on the key-ring for the tailgate.
I ended up ordering the electric unit "PoP and LocK" from Amazon for $85 delivered. It took about two hours of installation time (could be done in less than one hour, but I'm anal about improving things). Wired to the passenger door lock as per others recommendations on this forum, Excellent results and operates as OEM. Highly recommended.
If you go this route (electric) , try to locate a product called "Positap" for wire connections. they are the best (IMO).
If you want more info on install or any other help, email, I'll do what I can
I've received so much good info from this forum!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
faststang90 is on a distinguished road

Name: dwayne
faststang90's Tacoma Gallery
i did a pop and lock on mine. it was like 110.00 for it and them to install it.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
lickem66 is on a distinguished road
lickem66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Does this 'OEM' one also relocate the camera to the other side like the Pop N Lock one does?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
Does this 'OEM' one also relocate the camera to the other side like the Pop N Lock one does?
We believe that this "OEM" one is actually a Pop-n-Lock sold by Southeast Toyota....
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
tsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to behold

tsup74's Tacoma Gallery
Pop N Lock

65$ plus 30 mins of your time to install.
http://www.popandlock.net/
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future info. Def gonna do this.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
Read the instruction sheet: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/017...-35150.pdf?256

Yes.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
found em on ebay... $63 with free shipping...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
LX Campbell is on a distinguished road
Name: LX
LX Campbell's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Instructions for pop&lock PL 5300 corrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Hi Jimmyh and others. I just ordered and installed the PL 5300 (2013 Toyota Tacoma) and while it was not a 15 min. job as some claim I ran into a couple of things/helps that may help the next guy or gal installing this item. I found that the factory instructions fall a little short and here is where they can improve their effort...1) Step 5 could have included that the OEM and the after market camera mounts are not interchangeable. 2) Step 9 suggests that the installer route the camera cable as shown, however, this is a picture of the original routing of the cable. unless you route the camera cable to a lower route, closer to the hing side of the tailgate, you will not have enough cable considering the new kit requires you to move the camera position to the left side of the latching mechanism.

I think they could have accomplished more comprehensive instructions and pictures by including the hints I have offered?

In my installation, I did have one of the Phillips screws that hold the highest end/side of the camera bracket strip out. This problem did not occur because of my inexperience or cross-threading of the screw either. I determined that the screw was just a little on the short side and was not engaging enough threads. I was able to insert a longer screw of metric size without any problem.

I do like the product and would recommend it to any Tacoma owner.

LX Campbell
Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
TEQ HED

I ended p with a P&L premium on my tailgate. While it was a easy install I am concerned about long term durability. Although. Don't drop my tailgate that often when I do the handle doesn't feel firm. It feels like if too much pressure were applied it would break. Also, with the premium the finish is coming off. It has only been installed about 3months and after only a month the finish started peeling.

All on all, I like it as I feel a little more secure with it installed.. The finish doesn't bother me that much and I will ALWAYS be very careful when opening the tailgate as to not break the handle.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... mine has been on for over a year and it still looks and feels fine.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
TEQ HED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Wow... mine has been on for over a year and it still looks and feels fine.
I have checked mine 3times to make sure the install was correct and there is no binding. All looks good and appears to be operating correctly. Maybe I am just not used to the feel of it yet. I have only dropped my tailgate twice since the install.

The finish on the other hand.....not so great. I would snap a couple of pics but the Tacoma is in the garage several miles away. Iw I'll do this later in the week.

Products Discussed in this Thread