Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

super duty carrier mod or stock

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
bh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to behold

bh867's Tacoma Gallery
super duty carrier mod or stock

I've looked around and have seen that it's been done. I did the wookie mod and don't like it, I've had a lot of vibration that i haven't been able to balance out so I'm either going to go back to stock, which sucks for a couple reasons one being it's spendy for a bearing that's not very strong. I have a couple of questions tho. does anyone know which year of super duty bearing guys have used? is it worth the hassle? i plan on being in moab in a few weeks and don't wanna stuck with what i have, it's way too annoying. I'll either order a stock replacement or try the super duty setup, just wanted a lil feedback if theres any. thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
bh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to beholdbh867 is a splendid one to behold

bh867's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind put in a chev 1 ton
super duty carrier mod or stock-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361658645.693081.jpg
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Nice install, did it improve your vibration issue??
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

bh867's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Nice install, did it improve your vibration issue??
Yes no vibes whatsoever, smooth as can be
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

bh867's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Wow nice looks solid
Thanks, it's a lil bit ghetto, I used some scrap metal I had layin around. It's ugly but solid.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
I heard a couple of dudes had issues with the "wookie" mod. I am the originator of that mod, and have about 25K on it without issue. I wonder if some drivelines are out of balance and the solid bearing amplifies it or something?
(pics of what I did for those who don't know wtf we're talking about)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

bh867's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I heard a couple of dudes had issues with the "wookie" mod. I am the originator of that mod, and have about 25K on it without issue. I wonder if some drivelines are out of balance and the solid bearing amplifies it or something?
(pics of what I did for those who don't know wtf we're talking about)
I'm not sure what the problem was, I had the driveline rebalanced when I installed the wookie and it helped but didn't cure it completely.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm bumping this with a question. The wookie strength carrier looks to drop the carrier quite a bit assuming the same mounting bolts are used. Is that the case? If so, anyone find a heavy duty (preferably servicable) carrier that bolts into the stock location?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm bumping this with a question. The wookie strength carrier looks to drop the carrier quite a bit assuming the same mounting bolts are used. Is that the case? If so, anyone find a heavy duty (preferably servicable) carrier that bolts into the stock location?
you could probably email wheeler's and ask them what bolts are used for the OME carrier bearing drop
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
you could probably email wheeler's and ask them what bolts are used for the OME carrier bearing drop
No, that's the problem, I don't want or need my carrier bearing dropped that far. My carrier bearing is in the stock location now, I just need to replace it. Since the stock bearing assembly allows for too much play, I would like to use a stronger bearing. I really like the Wookie strength bearing setup but I don't need mine dropped over an inch. I'm looking for a heavy duty bearing that will keep it at stock height and bolt into the stock location.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the issue with the wookie- it drops the carrier too far. I searched and searched a while back and couldn't find a heavy duty one that will go back in the stock location. I'm replacing mine tomorrow with stock because I have to leave town and don't have much time. But the next time, I plan to just cut everything out and do something like the OP did.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod712 View Post
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the issue with the wookie- it drops the carrier too far. I searched and searched a while back and couldn't find a heavy duty one that will go back in the stock location. I'm replacing mine tomorrow with stock because I have to leave town and don't have much time. But the next time, I plan to just cut everything out and do something like the OP did.
Thanks! I will admit, I really like his solution. Simple, yet effective. I might end up doing the same, I might just grab the Dorman bearing off Rock Auto. For $40, how bad can it be

Right now, I've got the stock carrier but I injected silicone all around the bearing itself to help stiffen it up. It worked for a while but it's getting sloppy again...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, that's the problem, I don't want or need my carrier bearing dropped that far. My carrier bearing is in the stock location now, I just need to replace it. Since the stock bearing assembly allows for too much play, I would like to use a stronger bearing. I really like the Wookie strength bearing setup but I don't need mine dropped over an inch. I'm looking for a heavy duty bearing that will keep it at stock height and bolt into the stock location.

no i know im jsut saying you could get the specs on the bolts from them, thread length/diameter etc
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
no i know im jsut saying you could get the specs on the bolts from them, thread length/diameter etc
I actually have an OME CB drop rolling around in my tool box I just don't need the drop, I need stock height.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! I will admit, I really like his solution. Simple, yet effective. I might end up doing the same, I might just grab the Dorman bearing off Rock Auto. For $40, how bad can it be

Right now, I've got the stock carrier but I injected silicone all around the bearing itself to help stiffen it up. It worked for a while but it's getting sloppy again...
Yeah, the Dorman is the one I ordered. We'll see how it lasts. If it makes 15-20k I'll be satisfied, and then I'll just re-work the whole mount.