Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cabin Rattles!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Crank the tunes up! I wheel the piss out of my rig tho
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has only been down a gravel road once in its 6000+ miles that i've owned. I won't "wheel" a brand new $34K truck. I have a specific truck that I wheel the piss out of its seen in my avatar and it doesn't rattle as much as my 2012. I expect a $30K+ vehicle to have better quality than what I've seen.

I guess on the + side if I do sell it according to variuos sites it holds its resale value better than any other vehicle. But the fact is I bought this truck to last for 20yrs+ and the signs I'm seeing tells me to jump ship before more problems develop. Maybe I got a bad apple and its was built on a friday
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
blitton08 is a jewel in the roughblitton08 is a jewel in the roughblitton08 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
blitton08's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 and the plastic around my shifter squeaks sometimes? No rattles yet.."knock on wood"
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
I share your concern OP. I have just noticed in the past couple of weeks a noise coming from the back seat. Its very inconsistent. My first thought was some of the things that I have in the rear compartments, but have dismissed that after taking a few of the things out that it could have been and still hear the rattle. It sounds like a few birds in there fluttering around.I am still in the process of investigating what it could be.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would make the dealership make good and fix the problem.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 with about 19,000 miles, and I have a rattle in the center of my dash. It started before i ever even took it off road. Want to have the dealer fix it, but worried it will prolly just get worse after they put it back on
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #27
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
I've wheeled and jumped my 2011 (shhh dont tell the dealer), no rattles yet at 25k miles knock on wood. I do get the door rattle from the stereo which I was going to dynamat. Tightening the door screws helped a bit but they were on there pretty good already.

If you can find the spot where it rattles, some dynamat or thin foam tape might not hurt...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
My truck has only been down a gravel road once in its 6000+ miles that i've owned. I won't "wheel" a brand new $34K truck. I have a specific truck that I wheel the piss out of its seen in my avatar and it doesn't rattle as much as my 2012. I expect a $30K+ vehicle to have better quality than what I've seen.

I guess on the + side if I do sell it according to variuos sites it holds its resale value better than any other vehicle. But the fact is I bought this truck to last for 20yrs+ and the signs I'm seeing tells me to jump ship before more problems develop. Maybe I got a bad apple and its was built on a friday
I totally agree with you on this. Like I have said I feel like im nit picking but c'mon a 30k+ vehicle could have rattles and squeaks at 10k miles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad7088 View Post
I share your concern OP. I have just noticed in the past couple of weeks a noise coming from the back seat. Its very inconsistent. My first thought was some of the things that I have in the rear compartments, but have dismissed that after taking a few of the things out that it could have been and still hear the rattle. It sounds like a few birds in there fluttering around.I am still in the process of investigating what it could be.
Ya its not like a rattle, its more like you are hearing like plastic rubbing and shifting haha. If I hold the corner down it goes away. I am thinking about taking the piece of and installing some dynamat or a piece of foam to see what that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTaco View Post
I would make the dealership make good and fix the problem.
I did have the dealer look at it for my 10k service. And they did remove and install the center plastic and for a day or 2 it was perfect and I was happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelnut View Post
I've wheeled and jumped my 2011 (shhh dont tell the dealer), no rattles yet at 25k miles knock on wood. I do get the door rattle from the stereo which I was going to dynamat. Tightening the door screws helped a bit but they were on there pretty good already.

If you can find the spot where it rattles, some dynamat or thin foam tape might not hurt...
That's what I am going to try this weekend.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, I thought i was just being a baby haha
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
JerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Jerry
JerryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped off my truck at the dealership this morning to fix my rattle and squeaks. Took the tech on a test drive to ensure that I didn't get the typical "we could not duplicate the problem, sir" and he seemed to know exactly what to do, and even said that he had run into the same issues with other 2012's... Anyhow, I'll let you know how it all turns out..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTaco View Post
I dropped off my truck at the dealership this morning to fix my rattle and squeaks. Took the tech on a test drive to ensure that I didn't get the typical "we could not duplicate the problem, sir" and he seemed to know exactly what to do, and even said that he had run into the same issues with other 2012's... Anyhow, I'll let you know how it all turns out..
Please do, I may do the same thing. Ride along time.

Alex
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
JerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
Please do, I may do the same thing. Ride along time.

Alex
In circumstances like this, ride alongs are the only way to ensure that the tech hears the same things that you do.. I am very hopeful that they fix the issues, because for me, they are rather annoying.. For what I paid for this truck, and Toyota's reputation for quality, I wouldn't expect these issues after only a year.. Heck, my 05 had 120,000 miles on it, and never had any of the rattles that I have in my 12
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
AbominableSnowman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
AbominableSnowman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I have a suggestion that might help those with rattles that seem to come from the center dash. Take some 3/8" or 1/2" backer board (from hardware store - it is basically a foam dowel) and shove it down between the top of your dash and your windsheild. I just got my 2011 with 25K miles and last week it started to creak around what I thought was the radio area. My 2003 Tundra did the same thing after a while. Today I remebered finding this solution TundraSolutions forum some time ago and it works great. I just did it today on my Tacoma and it took care of 90% of the creaking.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #33
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Mobbing dez i swear my truck is falling apart but, she is tight and solid as can be!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Mobbing dez i swear my truck is falling apart but, she is tight and solid as can be!
Braaaaaap braaaap
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #35
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 has a "buzz" from the driver's window switch panel that coincides with bass tones coming from the speakers. It took me a while to locate it, but even lightly placing a finger on the panel makes it go away. I just need to take some time to pop it off and figure it out. No other interior noises (other than when the kids leave the rear seat belts hanging funny). I have done light wheeling and have about 15K on the truck.

My 2009 had the buzz behind the glove box at 1500 RPM's, worse on cold days. Drove me nuts.

But yeah, lots more minor complaints with the newer Toyotas I have owned, fit and finish seems to have suffered.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
My 2012 has a "buzz" from the driver's window switch panel that coincides with bass tones coming from the speakers. It took me a while to locate it, but even lightly placing a finger on the panel makes it go away. I just need to take some time to pop it off and figure it out. No other interior noises (other than when the kids leave the rear seat belts hanging funny). I have done light wheeling and have about 15K on the truck.

My 2009 had the buzz behind the glove box at 1500 RPM's, worse on cold days. Drove me nuts.

But yeah, lots more minor complaints with the newer Toyotas I have owned, fit and finish seems to have suffered.
Ya the rear seat belt thing kills me too, I always have to fix it when I have people back there
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
Twatwaffles will become famous soon enough

Twatwaffles's Tacoma Gallery
If yours is anything like mine, this part of the dash will squeak and rattle as it flexes against the main part of the dash, sounds like its coming from the center. Try grabbing it and pushing it as you hear the noise and see if it stops.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #39

Just got my truck back from the dealer, and all of the noises seem to have been resolved.. The rear seat was by far the worst, and the fix consisted of a few things; lubed the latch, and put some clear tape looking stuff around the latch receiver.. Drove it on a few rough roads on the way home, and everything was quite as can be... As an added bonus, the tech even turned of my extremely annoying seat belt chime!! woot!.. But yes, I will still be wearing my seat belt regardless..
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twatwaffles View Post
If yours is anything like mine, this part of the dash will squeak and rattle as it flexes against the main part of the dash, sounds like its coming from the center. Try grabbing it and pushing it as you hear the noise and see if it stops.

I'll have to check that one too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTaco View Post
Just got my truck back from the dealer, and all of the noises seem to have been resolved.. The rear seat was by far the worst, and the fix consisted of a few things; lubed the latch, and put some clear tape looking stuff around the latch receiver.. Drove it on a few rough roads on the way home, and everything was quite as can be... As an added bonus, the tech even turned of my extremely annoying seat belt chime!! woot!.. But yes, I will still be wearing my seat belt regardless..
Good news, time to make an appointment.