Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cabin Rattles!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
Cabin Rattles!!!

You know what really bothers me, cabin rattles. I have a 2012 with about 10k on the clock. Haven't jumped it, done very light off roading few bumps here and there but the damn center console rattles like a mofo and only sometimes. When I got my 10k service a few weeks ago I had the techs look at it. They uninstalled and re-installed it and that seemed to work for a couple days. BAH!!! I know I am complaining about nothing or the fact that I could just turn the radio up a bit louder but it just kinda sucks. I have always been told that Toyota has great build quality so on and so forth. My gf drives a 2002 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 140k+ on the clock NO RATTLES!!!! I was thinking about removing the plastic piece and putting some some or dynamat on the underside of the piece. Anyone else have a fairly new truck with rattles? Suggestions?

Alex
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
where does it rattle? My dash rattles behind the gauges but only on certain days when the sun and moon are aligned properly (like today) Drives me crazy!! Only started happening when the dealer replaced my dash. Gotta take it back to them one of these days
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Thats kinda odd! I have a ’07 and i don’t have any rattles inside that are not from stuff i have under/behind back seat.

I would pull the plastic cardboard thing out of the bottom and check the bolts. also maybe pull the cub holders out and the trim pice around the shifter and see if you see anything, or if anything is loos.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
where does it rattle? My dash rattles behind the gauges but only on certain days when the sun and moon are aligned properly (like today) Drives me crazy!! Only started happening when the dealer replaced my dash. Gotta take it back to them one of these days
Ya, it doesnt happen all the time either. I was thinking maybe it has to do with how hot/cold the temp is in the truck? Like the pieces are expanding and contracting? That plastic piece that sits around the shifter, this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
Thats kinda odd! I have a í07 and i donít have any rattles inside that are not from stuff i have under/behind back seat.

I would pull the plastic cardboard thing out of the bottom and check the bolts. also maybe pull the cub holders out and the trim pice around the shifter and see if you see anything, or if anything is loos.
Ya, I'll have to pull it and see whats going on. I know its not the cup holder part, pulled those and made sure there were no rattles. Might not hurt to check again though.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
2006 here, no rattles guess I'm fortunate.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
I see you have the baja tacoma. Could it be the trd exhaust causing it to rattle in the cabin?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
sometimes when I am playin music w/ a decent amount of bass, I hear the black plastic trim around the 4 window switches (and black trim around pass door window switch) rattle at anything over "30" on the headunit. This is all stock, no upgraded anything. I am definately gonna have to address this when I am eventually sending over 100w to each door
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006TRDSPORT View Post
2006 here, no rattles guess I'm fortunate.
You and my GF apparently
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak View Post
I see you have the baja tacoma. Could it be the trd exhaust causing it to rattle in the cabin?
That's what I thought also. I am not new to the drone/rattle from exhaust, Come from V8's running straight pipes so I have ruled that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
sometimes when I am playin music w/ a decent amount of bass, I hear the black plastic trim around the 4 window switches (and black trim around pass door window switch) rattle at anything over "30" on the headunit. This is all stock, no upgraded anything. I am definately gonna have to address this when I am eventually sending over 100w to each door
I do notice that the door plastic pieces rattle at high volume (im OK with that) with a good amount of bass, still doesn't make the center rattle though. I have tested this with music and without, drives me NUTS! What I hate is driving down the freeway, cruise control set and I just hear a constant rattle it actually sounds more like the plastic pieces are settling then unsettling, settling then unsettling... strange.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
rlvilleman is on a distinguished road
Marines: Turbine Mechanic
Name: Will
rlvilleman's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 reg cab and my dash rattles. As does my left door, around the speaker. My 2005 reg cab never had any rattles. even on gravel roads. Not been impressed with this '12.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 12 regular cab and it rattles as well around the dash... not all the time but....
PITA!
Truck has 15 k on it, bought her new in july ... with that being said, when i bought the truck my driveway was three miles right up the side of a mountain.... rough gravel road often used 4x4 to avoid shredding the tires....

when i left that place at the end of the summer, I now life two miles off a paved road ... lots of bumps and ruts, 4x4 all winter long.... you know driving it like a truck

I do not mind the noise, long as the rest of it holds up.... I knew that it was going to make noise going into to this ... look at all that plastic.

its a 20 thousand dollars 4x4 that will go almost anywhere, pull 3500 pounds... if the plastic rattles... fine, long as the rest of the truck drives like a truck

just my two cents
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvilleman View Post
I have a 2012 reg cab and my dash rattles. As does my left door, around the speaker. My 2005 reg cab never had any rattles. even on gravel roads. Not been impressed with this '12.
Ya, I had a 2005 for about a year (bought new) and dont remember having any rattles either

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthiker View Post
I have a 12 regular cab and it rattles as well around the dash... not all the time but....
PITA!
Truck has 15 k on it, bought her new in july ... with that being said, when i bought the truck my driveway was three miles right up the side of a mountain.... rough gravel road often used 4x4 to avoid shredding the tires....

when i left that place at the end of the summer, I now life two miles off a paved road ... lots of bumps and ruts, 4x4 all winter long.... you know driving it like a truck

I do not mind the noise, long as the rest of it holds up.... I knew that it was going to make noise going into to this ... look at all that plastic.

its a 20 thousand dollars 4x4 that will go almost anywhere, pull 3500 pounds... if the plastic rattles... fine, long as the rest of the truck drives like a truck

just my two cents
I actually agree with you. Lots of plastic so ya. I guess I am just nit picking. I Just thought not owning a domestic vehicle that I wouldn't get rattles I had a 2006 Charger SRT before my Baja, drove that thing hard until about 85k miles when I traded her in. No rattles haha. All in all I do agree with you though, if everything else holds up I really have nothign to complain about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
You should have bought a frontier.
LmfaO
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
There seems to be a trend. Myself and others are having interior rattles in there 2012's. My truck has never seen dirt and maintained meticulously. It has 6000 miles and the rattles started at 2000 miles. The middle of my dash rattles, inside of my drivers door rattles, drivers window rattles, passenger headrest rattles, climate controls area rattles. Its driving me crazy. I'm apprehensive to take it to the dealer because I know they would say they couldn't replicate the problem or cause more damage. I paid way to much money for a truck to start rattling with this little miles. I seriously thinking about cutting my loses before more serious problems happen.

I have an 88' 4runner parked in the garage with 100k on the clock and the interior makes no noise.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
EG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Edgar
EG555's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed my weather stripping between the doors rattles. I can hear it squish when I tug on the door while its closed and it just gets louder when I'm driving. At 1,100 miles too.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
There seems to be a trend. Myself and others are having interior rattles in there 2012's. My truck has never seen dirt and maintained meticulously. It has 6000 miles and the rattles started at 2000 miles. The middle of my dash rattles, inside of my drivers door rattles, drivers window rattles, passenger headrest rattles, climate controls area rattles. Its driving me crazy. I'm apprehensive to take it to the dealer because I know they would say they couldn't replicate the problem or cause more damage. I paid way to much money for a truck to start rattling with this little miles. I seriously thinking about cutting my loses before more serious problems happen.

I have an 88' 4runner parked in the garage with 100k on the clock and the interior makes no noise.
THIS!!!! Exactly what I am talking about. Paid a pretty penny and have rattles. Maybe my expectations are to high? I feel like its not significant but in your case 2k and you got rattles YIKES!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
THIS!!!! Exactly what I am talking about. Paid a pretty penny and have rattles. Maybe my expectations are to high? I feel like its not significant but in your case 2k and you got rattles YIKES!!!
I agree. My rattles are so loud and obnoxious I am furious at Toyota for making such an inferior product! Listen to this video, it sounds like my truck is falling apart! Do you think it will be covered under warranty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JgO...0N1GRA&index=3

(just pulling your leg, it's a truck, not a high end luxury car man!)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
fireroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
There seems to be a trend. Myself and others are having interior rattles in there 2012's. My truck has never seen dirt and maintained meticulously. It has 6000 miles and the rattles started at 2000 miles. The middle of my dash rattles, inside of my drivers door rattles, drivers window rattles, passenger headrest rattles, climate controls area rattles.
Same here, 2012 and there is a rattle in the dead center of my dash that is more pronounced on warm days. Started around 2k miles too but I thought it was something the dealer did when they installed the alarm. My passenger window has a slight rattle and the passenger rear seat belt rattles alot.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I agree. My rattles are so loud and obnoxious I am furious at Toyota for making such an inferior product! Listen to this video, it sounds like my truck is falling apart! Do you think it will be covered under warranty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JgO...0N1GRA&index=3

(just pulling your leg, it's a truck, not a high end luxury car man!)
Har har har I appreciate the humor though haha. Its not a luxory car but still rattles? This is my DD with some wheeling on the weekends I want it to not have rattles and sound like a junker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Same here, 2012 and there is a rattle in the dead center of my dash that is more pronounced on warm days. Started around 2k miles too but I thought it was something the dealer did when they installed the alarm. My passenger window has a slight rattle and the passenger rear seat belt rattles alot.
No dash rattles (knocks on wood) just the center console at the moment. Sometimes if I hit a bump or something hard enough I get jolts and rattle but that's expected.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
My question is....
do any of you have rattles who use your truck for just PAVEMENT driving?
I have not driven or owned a rig yet that if it got used off road on any regular bases that didnt rattle
Chevy's
Fords
Many many toyotas first and second gen tundras was my work truck for a long time in the high desert of utah
I guess my point is that toyota sells its cars and trucks towards people who never use them like a truck is supposed to be used.... these people want the 4x4 logo and fifteen cup holders
the market has changed, we can not be mad at toyota for changing with it.... if you want a truck that dosent rattle, I would say look around for something that is twenty years old and made of metal
again, I dont mind the noise....
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
JerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud ofJerryTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Jerry
JerryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same here.. 2012 with a center dash rattle, passenger seat rattle and rear seat rattle over speed bumps and such.. So annoying but I am going to at the very least have the dealer fix the rear seat because it is by far the worst...