Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

satoshi grille skill level

Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
satoshi grille skill level

Im wondering how much skill i need to do the satoshi mod myself? I always get nervous doing cutting or getting the paint to come out ok. I thought about buying a grillcraft insert but i would still need to cut the center part of my grille. Ultimate goal is to hopefully put two driving lights behind the grille.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
do you know how to work with fiberglass and bondo? if so buy another grill and give it a shot lol
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Taco Supreme!
roboots21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
roboots21's Tacoma Gallery
Get the grillcraft if you are worried about it. You don't have to do any extra filler or anything. Just gut out the center part (which I actually believe you can leave it in if you want though).
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's no fun.. how's he supposed to learn lol
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Taco Supreme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
That's no fun.. how's he supposed to learn lol
True haha. I was just being blunt. You could always do a thin-lip satoshi which doesn't need any body filler or anything.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
puma1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
puma1's Tacoma Gallery
Roboot

If you have time...please expand on your last comment,I have a 2013 DCSB.Thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, i'd never done anything like that to my tacoma but once you read up on it, you just motivate yourself, take your time and buy a spare so you can take your time, just follow the write-ups all over TW on this subject and it'll turn out peachy, or if you dont want to tackle it yourself there is a vendor Homertaco who will do the service for you and he's got a great reputation among the TW community, i've personally delt with him(to buy the satoshi mesh) and it was a smooth process and its quality stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Its really not that hard at all. Buy a spare grill and take your time, you will be much happier doing it yourself than buying one.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Taco Supreme!
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1 View Post
If you have time...please expand on your last comment,I have a 2013 DCSB.Thanks.
With the full depth Satoshi you have to do some body filler work to fill in the gaps created by cutting out the grill insides. If you want to do a thin-lip, the process is completely the same except you guy the grill lip to a depth of about 3/4". The is just to the point where the grill cut outs end up being below the depth of the grill. I did mine like this and all I had to do was cutting and smoothing of the cuts. No body filler needed. The rest of the process is the same.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
All good advice...
There are several very good write ups here on TW for the DIY minded.
I actually began supplying mesh for grills long before I started to produce them.
I still do...
There is kind of a trade off with the thin-lip vs. full depth:
Thin lips take less time to fabricate but the cutting and assembly are more challenging.
Full depths take much longer to fab but assemble quicker.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!
~ Craig
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Homertaco you must do awesome work especially since you said there is a 6-9 month waiting list. That's what got me thinking about trying my self. I've never worked with bondo or fiberglass. I like the look of the full, but if I'm going to put lights behind it. I think the thin lip would probably be better. I saw a tw member about a week ago say they bought their grill from eBay and it looked like a satoshi but it was flush. It was black.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #13

Probably a grillcraft
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I was in close to the same boat as you. I had no bondo/sanding skills that I would recommend even to myself, so I went the Grillcraft route. I'm happy with the decision even now. Personally I think the difference between the thin satoshi and the Grillcraft is too close to make the satoshi effort worth it, IMHO of course, but it would be cheaper if done right the first time.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
Is it b/c it doesn't have to be as perfect? I would still like to cut the center out if I do the lights so it wont block the light.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #16

A grillcraft sits on top of the grill not in it
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Believe it or not, it's really not that difficult. I had never done any kind of auto body work before but mine turned out great IMO. The key is to take your time. Don't try to rush through it or take short cuts. Follow the write ups, take your time and you'll probably be fine. I say go for it. If you're not happy with the end result, you can always slap a grillcraft in front of it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
Is it b/c it doesn't have to be as perfect? I would still like to cut the center out if I do the lights so it wont block the light.
From my perspective, yes. Grillcraft only needs the center sections cut out, but doesn't require much of any finishing to the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
A grillcraft sits on top of the grill not in it
Very true, that's why I posted IMHO. You miss some depth from the thin satoshi, but it's a personal decision if it's worth it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
If you're not happy with the end result, you can always slap a grillcraft in front of it.
How dare you bring logic and sense into an Internet discussion? Valid point to push someone into trying it themselves.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Very true, that's why I posted IMHO. You miss some depth from the thin satoshi, but it's a personal decision if it's worth it or not.
yeah I gotcha, I was answering his question about why it was easier. Shoulda quoted him but I was in class and being lazy