1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

satoshi grille skill level

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DBTaco, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    DBTaco

DBTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Im wondering how much skill i need to do the satoshi mod myself? I always get nervous doing cutting or getting the paint to come out ok. I thought about buying a grillcraft insert but i would still need to cut the center part of my grille. Ultimate goal is to hopefully put two driving lights behind the grille.

2. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    If you're worried about Eff'ing up your grill just get a Parts Geek grill and have at it. They're only about $40 and then if if doesn't go well you still have a grill. ;)

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    do you know how to work with fiberglass and bondo? if so buy another grill and give it a shot lol

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    roboots21

roboots21 Taco Supreme!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DC LB
    Bilstein 5100's, Grillecraft, Flowmaster, Nitto's, NFab's, BHLM, BFLM, 20% tint, more to come.
    Get the grillcraft if you are worried about it. You don't have to do any extra filler or anything. Just gut out the center part (which I actually believe you can leave it in if you want though).

5. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    That's no fun.. how's he supposed to learn lol

6. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    roboots21

roboots21 Taco Supreme!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DC LB
    Bilstein 5100's, Grillecraft, Flowmaster, Nitto's, NFab's, BHLM, BFLM, 20% tint, more to come.
    True haha. I was just being blunt. You could always do a thin-lip satoshi which doesn't need any body filler or anything. :)

7. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    puma1

puma1 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 Pre Runner
    If you have time...please expand on your last comment,I have a 2013 DCSB.Thanks.

8. Feb 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    To be honest, i'd never done anything like that to my tacoma but once you read up on it, you just motivate yourself, take your time and buy a spare so you can take your time, just follow the write-ups all over TW on this subject and it'll turn out peachy, or if you dont want to tackle it yourself there is a vendor Homertaco who will do the service for you and he's got a great reputation among the TW community, i've personally delt with him(to buy the satoshi mesh) and it was a smooth process and its quality stuff. :D

9. Feb 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Its really not that hard at all. Buy a spare grill and take your time, you will be much happier doing it yourself than buying one.

10. Feb 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    roboots21

roboots21 Taco Supreme!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DC LB
    With the full depth Satoshi you have to do some body filler work to fill in the gaps created by cutting out the grill insides. If you want to do a thin-lip, the process is completely the same except you guy the grill lip to a depth of about 3/4". The is just to the point where the grill cut outs end up being below the depth of the grill. I did mine like this and all I had to do was cutting and smoothing of the cuts. No body filler needed. The rest of the process is the same.

11. Feb 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    All good advice...
    There are several very good write ups here on TW for the DIY minded.
    I actually began supplying mesh for grills long before I started to produce them.
    I still do... ;)
    There is kind of a trade off with the thin-lip vs. full depth:
    Thin lips take less time to fabricate but the cutting and assembly are more challenging.
    Full depths take much longer to fab but assemble quicker.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!;)
    ~ Craig

12. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Homertaco you must do awesome work especially since you said there is a 6-9 month waiting list. That's what got me thinking about trying my self. I've never worked with bondo or fiberglass. I like the look of the full, but if I'm going to put lights behind it. I think the thin lip would probably be better. I saw a tw member about a week ago say they bought their grill from eBay and it looked like a satoshi but it was flush. It was black.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Probably a grillcraft

14. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I was in close to the same boat as you. I had no bondo/sanding skills that I would recommend even to myself, so I went the Grillcraft route. I'm happy with the decision even now. Personally I think the difference between the thin satoshi and the Grillcraft is too close to make the satoshi effort worth it, IMHO of course, but it would be cheaper if done right the first time.

15. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    DBTaco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    Is it b/c it doesn't have to be as perfect? I would still like to cut the center out if I do the lights so it wont block the light.

16. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    A grillcraft sits on top of the grill not in it

17. Feb 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    Believe it or not, it's really not that difficult. I had never done any kind of auto body work before but mine turned out great IMO. The key is to take your time. Don't try to rush through it or take short cuts. Follow the write ups, take your time and you'll probably be fine. I say go for it. If you're not happy with the end result, you can always slap a grillcraft in front of it.

18. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    From my perspective, yes. Grillcraft only needs the center sections cut out, but doesn't require much of any finishing to the grill.

Very true, that's why I posted IMHO. You miss some depth from the thin satoshi, but it's a personal decision if it's worth it or not.

How dare you bring logic and sense into an Internet discussion? :D Valid point to push someone into trying it themselves.

19. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    yeah I gotcha, I was answering his question about why it was easier. Shoulda quoted him but I was in class and being lazy :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top