Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would removing running boards leave me with raw metal?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
rraabb11 is on a distinguished road
rraabb11's Tacoma Gallery
Would removing running boards leave me with raw metal?

Dealer has a truck I like but I don't care for the running board option. Im afraid when they remove them it will leave scratches that make the metal more prone to rust, or the mechanic leaves bolts out, etc. does anyone have a take on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Would removing running boards leave me with raw metal?-image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraabb11 View Post
Dealer has a truck I like but I don't care for the running board option. Im afraid when they remove them it will leave scratches that make the metal more prone to rust, or the mechanic leaves bolts out, etc. does anyone have a take on this?
They mount to the underside of the cab floor
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
No . Should be fine .
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
mmm Tacos
Swordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of light

Swordknives's Tacoma Gallery
You "should" be fine (it is just bolted on to the frame.**) Trucks that do not have the option just have the holes in the frame so I would not worry about that.

Also I would inspect the truck after they remove them and if there is a scratch make them fix it before you take it. You could even have it written in the purchase contract that they must fix any scratches or damage.

Long story short I think you will be fine having them remove the steps.

**Looks like I was wrong on this
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
rraabb11 is on a distinguished road
rraabb11's Tacoma Gallery
Sooooo...no damage? I image the pressure of the bolts and flexing from weight on the board creates a rubbing point and damages the paint/under coating.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordknives View Post
You "should" be fine as it is just bolted on to the frame. Trucks that do not have the option just have the holes in the frame so I would not worry about that.

Also I would inspect the truck after they remove them and if there is a scratch make them fix it before you take it. You could even have it written in the purchase contract that they must fix any scratches or damage.

Long story short I think you will be fine having them remove the steps.
They don't bolt to the frame
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraabb11 View Post
Sooooo...no damage? I image the pressure of the bolts and flexing from weight on the board creates a rubbing point and damages the paint/under coating.
You'll be fine

They mount to factory bolt locations in the underside of the cab floor , these mounting locations come with plastic plugs on stock trucks without running boards , get some plugs and stick them in the holes

Done
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Worst comes to worst, buy a $12 silver touch up paint pen from the dealer's parts counter (or make the dealer do it).

The truck's frame and rear axle will be rusting long before the body.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
mmm Tacos
Swordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of light

Swordknives's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
They don't bolt to the frame
O'rely .. well wouldent be the first time I was wrong
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP: Running boards do prevent a lot of door dings. Unless you plan on installing sliders, I'd take the running boards.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I happen to like the factory running boards myself. I installed the same boards the day I brought my truck home. I think its just 6 bolts into the under side of the body.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
As Oz-T states, don't forget to put the plugs back in the holes on the body where the old bolts used to go.