Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High Mileage Oil

Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
High Mileage Oil

I was driving to work the other day and heard a commercial on the radio Talking about how you should start using High mileage oil after 75,000 miles. Now I am only sitting at 48k on my odometer at the moment and even though its a 2008 in my mind its hard not to continue to think of it as a new Car. So I was wondering for those of you that have many more miles on there second gen Tacomas when did you start using High mileage oil? Or did you?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
80k miles here and no plans to switch to a high mileage oil. I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and will continue to do so until it dies or I trade it in, whichever comes first.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
80k miles here and no plans to switch to a high mileage oil. I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and will continue to do so until it dies or I trade it in, whichever comes first.
See that was My Thought. After the Dealer quit giving me oil Changes I switched to Royal Purple and was going to just stick with that. I just wanted to see what everybody else was doing.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
or did I ?, I did not.

+210,000 miles and always used mobil 1 since day 1 (I am original owner)
and it has no sludge, perfect compression, no oil loss (except
normal pcv and rings) higher MPG than EPA says it should have....

so I expect to continue with regular flavor Mobil 1 until the thing
dies from something other than engine problems
---------
TL;DR What Pugga said ^^^^
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I was driving to work the other day and heard a commercial on the radio Talking about how you should start using High mileage oil after 75,000 miles. Now I am only sitting at 48k on my odometer at the moment and even though its a 2008 in my mind its hard not to continue to think of it as a new Car. So I was wondering for those of you that have many more miles on there second gen Tacomas when did you start using High mileage oil? Or did you?
My old man has 239k on the clock of his '98 4Runner with the 3.4L. Plain old dino oil since day one, runs like a champ, burns none. Before that he had (until '98!) an '83 Toyota pickup with the 4 cyl (2.2 or 2.4, I forget). Same deal, nothing but dino oil and he got 268k out of that before the body rusted out from under him.

High mileage oil == snake oil IMO.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
When I think high mileage oil, I usually think 20W-50 and see it being used in an old, absolutely beat on engine. The thicker oil provides better protection to the worn parts and is sort of a last resort to hold off a rebuild or bringing the vehicle to the scrap yard.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
79K miles on the X-Runner and 72K miles on my Impala... Both still run 5w30 Royal Purple and don't intend on changing it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the high-milage oils just have a different additive package then regular oils. Last I read the differences are mostly additional additives to keep the seals swelled and happy.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
^^^

My civic had worn rings and weepy main seals for all 90k miles I drove it. With valvoline max life it didn't lose nearly as much oil as their regular dino stuff and the oil pan was definitely cleaner. It usually worked out to about 1000 miles between 1 quart top offs instead of 500 miles on straight dino.

Then I switched to mobil 1, which made it weep like an old woman watching Gone With the Wind, but because it wouldn't burn it off so fast, it kept oil even longer than with the max life. A lot of times only one quart would get it to the next 3k mile oil change. This was good, especially since I had odd issues with the vtec not activating on the max life.

Rule of thumb, if it doesn't leak, use normal oil; if it's making a mess of your garage floor, maybe try the high mileage oil.

I suppose I'd use it if the valve seals were leaking too. Those cold startup skeeter-fogger-clouds aren't a bragging point.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
or did I ?, I did not.

+210,000 miles and always used mobil 1 since day 1 (I am original owner)
and it has no sludge, perfect compression, no oil loss (except
normal pcv and rings) higher MPG than EPA says it should have....

so I expect to continue with regular flavor Mobil 1 until the thing
dies from something other than engine problems
---------
TL;DR What Pugga said ^^^^
When you say regular flavor do you mean non synthetic? I use full synthetic (i know i don't need to) but i like knowing I'm using high quality stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
I use Pennzoil Platinum in mine, I'm at 75,000. People say Pennzoil has was wax in it... Maybe in the 50's and 60's.. I'm sure they're smart enough not to put engine harming stuff in a full synthetic oil they advertise (especially after what happened to engines back in the day) to keep your pistons 40% cleaner than the competition. Even though the tops of the pistons do not see engine oil (if the rings are good) i don't see why having spotless pistons helps you. Unless the oil is getting into the combustion chamber and coating the top of my pistons where the most carbon buildup is how is it going to clean them? Oil companies are funny. I like the oil cause its newly engineered and i can go 6 or 7k instead of 3-5k on conventional.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
nicraknes is on a distinguished road
nicraknes's Tacoma Gallery
Go Syntetic...Period...best choice.My car never run so smooth and fast .330.000 miles and counting.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I used high mileage oil in my old 97 only because it had high mileage, it was called what ever WalMart had on sale granted it only had 285,000 miles on it though. Oh yeah I used the orange can of doom too for the filter.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I switched from regular Mobil 1 synthetic to the Mobil 1 Synthetic high mileage because I read somewhere that it helps prevent leaks, and such. I have no idea the details on the oil, but I do know that my timing chain cover oil leak stopped leaking after I switched to high mileage oil. I don't know if that was coincidence or not, but it did happen. I've been using Mobil 1 high mileage ever since. I'm currently at 155k miles
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I have less than 2500 miles on my 2014. When I change the oil at 5000 I will use 0W-30 after reading what Bob the oil guy has to say.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I suggest you read through the entirety of "oil 101". The people who contribute to that site are in the oil industry and many of them are oil scientists. Every man makes his own decisions based on the information he has. I am merely providing additional information.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
high mileage is for regular engines to last longer like toyota engines....
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
ajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
ajw1986's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is at just over 200k km, I run mobil1 synthetic high mileage 5w 30. Don't know if it's actually gonna make a difference but what can it hurt?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick478 View Post
high mileage is for regular engines to last longer like toyota engines....
Lol, high mileage oil has seal conditioners in the oil that keep gaskets and seals in older vehicles from cracking and drying out and shrinking.

all bottles of hm oils state this difference.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by G17GUY View Post
Lol, high mileage oil has seal conditioners in the oil that keep gaskets and seals in older vehicles from cracking and drying out and shrinking.

all bottles of hm oils state this difference.
It was a joke homie...