Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

lights in a topper

Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
autoloader is on a distinguished road
Name: Rodney
autoloader's Tacoma Gallery
lights in a topper

I want put some lighting in my ARE topper and not just one. I do a lot of hunting/camping and need to see well in there and a flash light can be a pain. Is there some way such as maybe led lights on strips or some other way to shed some light on the subject? I want to wire them to a switch near the back that is hot all the time.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the strips of leds that you can pick up on ebay for dirt cheap?
I just ordered some for exactly the same reason you want.

Here is an ebay link of something similar to what I ordered.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=290852455973

Only thing is they usually take around 2 weeks to ship from china.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
autoloader is on a distinguished road
Name: Rodney
autoloader's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Have you looked at the strips of leds that you can pick up on ebay for dirt cheap?
I just ordered some for exactly the same reason you want.

Here is an ebay link of something similar to what I ordered.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=290852455973

Only thing is they usually take around 2 weeks to ship from china.
Bad link.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
If you look in the lighting forum and the 2nd gen tips/mods thread, there's a lot of really good info that can help you decide what you want to do and can guide you.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mods-more.html

Just look at anything that says "bed lights".
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Flexible...item1c2fcc0db3

Try this one. If that doesn't work try just searching "led strip" or more specifically "white waterproof led strip"
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Benjamin Newman

You might just have to search around a bit as there are tons of differwnt things that come up whith all sorts of different prices for the same things
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy and I wired up 4 of these lights in his camper and they light up the whole thing very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:3160

$20 for 20 good working waterproof LEDs. I've had them for 5 months now with no problems. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Also, check out the blitzpro 6LZ.

http://blitzpro.com/led-bar-light.html

It's $30.00 and one of them will absolutely light up everything in a topper, plus it's a super low amp draw (0.5a).
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSkeet View Post
My buddy and I wired up 4 of these lights in his camper and they light up the whole thing very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:3160

$20 for 20 good working waterproof LEDs. I've had them for 5 months now with no problems. Good Luck!

That's MY truck!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Benjamin Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GREENTACO View Post
That's MY truck!
Have you got more pics of the setup?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Have you got more pics of the setup?

I can get some. I'll post pics as soon as I get the chance.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea of using the Red LED strips. Especially if you do any camping, since red lights do not affect your night vision. Coming out of a camper at night with your night vision blinded is not a good thing...lol. I am ordering some strips for my truck next month. Going to mount them under the bed rails so that they have an indirect lighting effect, but can still light it up well enough to see. Just my $.02 worth...lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Here a set I made for someone:

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Benjamin Newman

You might be able to find light strips that have a combination of red and white leds... ebay has everything!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-30CM-12-C...7a5685&vxp=mtr
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
I put an led strip under the bed rails and it is extremely bright at night

I put my switch in the front of the cab, but you can also install the switch in the bed or use a remote.

Here are some threads that I found really helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ed-lights.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-how-post.html
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
I put an led strip under the bed rails and it is extremely bright at night

I put my switch in the front of the cab, but you can also install the switch in the bed or use a remote.

Here are some threads that I found really helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ed-lights.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-how-post.html
Where did you get the switches? Those are awesome!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Where did you get the switches? Those are awesome!
http://www.otrattw.com/

my switches are under novelty and are the red/red LEDs
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
aww..shit. now i need accessories just so i CAN HAVE those switches!!

my ARE has lights, from ARE. they are right in the middle and everything you load or unload into the truck..will destroy the lights. i need to revisit this.

thanks for the switch idea.!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
The Amber color Contura V series match nicely.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
scuba fanatic
kn61408 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E7 retired
kn61408's Tacoma Gallery
Someone previously mentioned mounting battery LED Puck lights from WalMart or similar. Throw off a lot of light, last a long time, turn on/off with a tap.