1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another noob lift question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agro, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Agro

Agro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I'll try to keep this short as to note bore you all.
    2013 DCSB 4x4 V6 TRD sport
    Want new tires, the Dunflops bug me each day I see them.
    thinking 265/70/17 BFG or Goodyear's.
    Was then thinking, should I go with a small lift like max 2"? Would that put me in to a slightly larger tire and still avoid rubbing? I want to keep the mud flaps too.
    2013 has 3 leafs and 1 thicker under, so I think I have the updated leafs.
    Bilstein 5100's around is bout $300-$350 which is fine w me. They are prob better than the stock TRD Sports and they are height adjustable. could I simply add those and get an extra 1-2" and perhaps go with the next sized tire? Or is more hardware needed for such a small lift? I am not try to do this economical, but do it right.
    What about stress on the CV's and all that with such a small lift. Is it going to be noticeable? Handling going to go south for driving around the street (this is my daily driver)? MPG going to be hurt significantly? What sized tire is the next size up beyond 265/70/17? Then I have to think about how hard it may be to get my Ducati in the truck if its that much higher? I need to get a real nice long (hopefully split section) curved ramp, and try to find ideal spots to load/unload where I have a height advantage on the ramp. hmmm...

Thanks, just a noob here, so your help is appreciated.

2. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    SportyHeretic

SportyHeretic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Wyoming/South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport
    Icon Stage 3 Suspension, Diff Drop, MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust, Tonneau Cover
    Depending on what you do you might not even notice a change in anything

3. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Do you want a lift or do you just want to run larger tires?

265/70-17 (32" tire) fits stock with no rubbing.

Next size up is 285 (33" tire), which will require wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels, and will require fender trimming regardless of lift height.

Since you already have the taller 4-leaf pack in the rear, a 2" lift (actually 1.75" lift with 5100s) in the front will get the truck just about level. A 2" lift is cheap and there are almost no side effects (probably why Toyota lifted the front by just 2" with the Baja edition).

4. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    275/70/17 billies at 1.75 leave the rear alone. Done. Cheap, looks nice. Maybe some wheel spacers for a wider stance.

5. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Agro

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ah. Good info.
    Mostly, yes. I have some sliders on order from BAMF, but just for protection during normal stuff, not rock crawling and such. I do take it out to the desert and some mud to go camping, etc. Just wanted protection. A little extra height couldn't hurt. Also have a new front skid plate from Matt123 I think his name was on it's way.

I do not have any short-term desire to swap out the wheels. Perhaps spacers are logical. However, dont want to trim the fenders so maybe 32" is the size I should stay at. That's okay.

I wouldn't mind leveling it out. It looks kind of funny to me to have the rear so high and the front look so much lower.

5100's all around I could almost level it out with just those?

6. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    You dont even need them in the rear, they dont add any lift in the rear, check out this thread for pics http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/179678-bilstein-5100s-1-75-a.html

Bamf sliders are awesome, i just mounted mine last weekend. And i want that skidplate your talking about it is awesome. If you want taller tires you can go skinnier, there is options in 255 and because they are skinny you can go a little taller with less chance of rubbing. But 265/70/17 is a good choice and there are alot of tire options in this size

7. Feb 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    Agro

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Good thread. I wondered what "billies" were then I went duh and see correlation with bilstein. I installed Bilsteins in my Audi, which was a PITA install... anyyhow.

So 5100's all the way around, 1.75 front, stock leaves in the rear cuz I have the updated TSB, and I should be "almost" level. Then i think I'll do 265/70/17's as so many choices and call it a day.
    Any long term damage effects for the front by that raise in height? I dont want to put 30k on and then have to replace stuff. isnt this so minor it shouldnt even really be noticeable? WHY did Toyota drop the front anyhow?

The height in the rear isnt affected, so putting my motorcycle in wont get tougher. Just a better ride cuz of superior shocks, and the front comes up a bit.

:EDIT: thinking about Why toyota has the front lower than the rear, I guess if you put stuff in the bed, (say 5-600lbs) it'll probably level out the rear. I do plan on camping with this truck and having weight in the rear from time to time. 98-99% of the time daily driver. So leveling still a good idea? I think it looks better.

8. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    After leveling out the truck, carrying weight in the back will naturally cause the rear end to drop lower than the front. There's no harm aside from a "bro" appearance the 1-2% of the time.

9. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    Agro

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    With the 1.75" setting up front lets just say that it looks nearly level, or soooo close. Is there crazy positive camber? Saw some reference to it once in a thread, but just the one time. I assume alignment after can get it fully within OEM spec.

10. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    When you do the alignment after the lift, you will have to choose between some positive camber (faster tire wear) or reduced caster (steering on-center feel will be worse). It's considered OK as the factory Baja edition lifts 2" with the same suspension geometry. Lifts above 2" will typically need aftermarket upper control arms to restore the caster.

11. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    Agro

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I wonder what the stock camber is. I remember on my Audi A4 I think I was stock like -2 degrees or -1.7 to -2.2 was stock. kind of high and it did wear the inside out, but eh... I installed adjustable upper control arms so it was easy for them to align.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. Feb 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top