1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear window leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bear2010, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Feb 21, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    bear2010

bear2010 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawna
    Surrey, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    I dicovered a rear window leak on my 2010 access cab around Christmas. On this forum I found a TSB regarding the third brake light leaking and issues with the window seal so I took the truck into the dealer, after 3.5 hours of waiting around I was told that a. the problem would not be warenteed and b. they couldn't determine what the cause was because my canopy would need to be removed.

Angry, I took the truck to Speedy Auto glass (who slide the canopy back for me) re and re the rear window to discover the window was NOT glued in. (see pictures) there was a small section on the drivers side which had a 12' piece of glue and that was it. Water had likely been pouring in through the gap for ages I just never noticed.

I returned to Toyota dealer with my reciept from Speedy and complained to the service manager. He of course told me that I no longer had warentee and it was out of his hands. After a month of waiting I was told Toyota would re-emburse me half the cost of the window.. what a joke! :mad:

If you are having water problems in your rear window, find out if they glued the thing in!

window.jpg
    window2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Feb 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    i was under the assumption the back window was just held in by a rubber gasket.

3. Feb 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    bear2010

bear2010 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawna
    Surrey, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    From what Speedy told me there is 2 clips and 2 screws holding in the window and then the rest should have glue to seal it... I'm no mechanic, no expert on the subject... I just know the top section on my rear window could be pushed out approx 2" and Speedy told me that once the clips and screws were removed it basically just fell right out. Nothing was holding it in.

4. Feb 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Just an opinion, but how were they supposed to look at the rear window with the canopy installed. I would have removed it prior to taking it to the dealer.

How many miles on the truck when you took it in? TSB is only good when the truck in withing the initial warranty period.

Just a thought.

Products Discussed in

To Top