Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rear window leak

Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
bear2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Shawna
bear2010's Tacoma Gallery
rear window leak

I dicovered a rear window leak on my 2010 access cab around Christmas. On this forum I found a TSB regarding the third brake light leaking and issues with the window seal so I took the truck into the dealer, after 3.5 hours of waiting around I was told that a. the problem would not be warenteed and b. they couldn't determine what the cause was because my canopy would need to be removed.

Angry, I took the truck to Speedy Auto glass (who slide the canopy back for me) re and re the rear window to discover the window was NOT glued in. (see pictures) there was a small section on the drivers side which had a 12' piece of glue and that was it. Water had likely been pouring in through the gap for ages I just never noticed.

I returned to Toyota dealer with my reciept from Speedy and complained to the service manager. He of course told me that I no longer had warentee and it was out of his hands. After a month of waiting I was told Toyota would re-emburse me half the cost of the window.. what a joke!

If you are having water problems in your rear window, find out if they glued the thing in!
Attached Thumbnails
rear window leak-window.jpg   rear window leak-window2.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
i was under the assumption the back window was just held in by a rubber gasket.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
bear2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Shawna
bear2010's Tacoma Gallery
From what Speedy told me there is 2 clips and 2 screws holding in the window and then the rest should have glue to seal it... I'm no mechanic, no expert on the subject... I just know the top section on my rear window could be pushed out approx 2" and Speedy told me that once the clips and screws were removed it basically just fell right out. Nothing was holding it in.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Just an opinion, but how were they supposed to look at the rear window with the canopy installed. I would have removed it prior to taking it to the dealer.

How many miles on the truck when you took it in? TSB is only good when the truck in withing the initial warranty period.

Just a thought.