Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tranny SHUDDER Toyota Certified RIPOFF

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
What engine do you have? I have a V6 DCLB 4x4 and I have a shutter at 40mph consistent. I believe it's a shift point and its just not quite sure what to do... I do have a take off shutter as well. What your describing sounds like the shift point. If you drive 40 and stay at a constant speed does it feel like its chugging?

I hardly think you need to change your fluid...
My DCLB is the same , I think it is the point where the TC locks / unlocks
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Ya as teneighty said, could be the shift point, what rpms at 40 mph? Early torque converter lock up at low rpms can result in feeling the engine through the chassis, steering and etc.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
TXtycoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
TXtycoon's Tacoma Gallery
I would definetly check the TC. Mine was doing the exact same thing last year. At low RPMs usually right before it up-shifted I was getting shudder. Took it to Toyota and they determined my torque converter was shot. Swapped out the entire tranny assembly under warranty and problem solved!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #24
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing the fluid is a good idea to assist in eliminating torque converter shudder making sure you use OEM fluid .
Once all the fluid and filter has been replaced , use Lubeguard as a fluid enhancer / supplement.
Professional transmission shops use Lubegaurd and the stuff works wonders .
I wouldnt waste my time typing this out if it didnt work ! it works excellent
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBE...ATF+Protectant
Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
applebmw is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonnie
applebmw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtycoon View Post
I would definetly check the TC. Mine was doing the exact same thing last year. At low RPMs usually right before it up-shifted I was getting shudder. Took it to Toyota and they determined my torque converter was shot. Swapped out the entire tranny assembly under warranty and problem solved!
I changed all fluid, DEALER changed all fluid, NOW they say may need radiator at my $$$, waiting on test strip determine if water in any fluid.....water in radiator not low.....I have had a loaner car for almost 14days now...WTF ??
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #26
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure if this is any help but my wifes FJ Cruiser had a stutter as it shifted between gears. A bit of research showed there is a design flaw in the tranny (dealer says its the same tranny as the tacoma). They had to replace the tranny at a cost of $6000 (warranty paid for it). It really made me question my sanity for keeping my Taco.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
BM07TacoTRDsport is on a distinguished road
Name: B-ry
BM07TacoTRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
What engine do you have? I have a V6 DCLB 4x4 and I have a shutter at 40mph consistent. I believe it's a shift point and its just not quite sure what to do... I do have a take off shutter as well. What your describing sounds like the shift point. If you drive 40 and stay at a constant speed does it feel like its chugging?

I hardly think you need to change your fluid...
Yes, that's my problem exactly. I have about 122k miles on a 07 TRD sport. It feels like it's shifting (shuttering) in and out of gear, especially if I'm turning slightly or going up a slight incline while holding the throttle right at the 38-40 mark. If I push or let off the throttle or down shift into 4th it goes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM07TacoTRDsport View Post
Yes, that's my problem exactly. I have about 122k miles on a 07 TRD sport. It feels like it's shifting (shuttering) in and out of gear, especially if I'm turning slightly or going up a slight incline while holding the throttle right at the 38-40 mark. If I push or let off the throttle or down shift into 4th it goes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
For whatever reason I was under the impression that your truck was newer and less miles... Anyway... A change of fluid may help and as some of the guys said the TC. Good luck! Next service I'm going to see what the guys at the dealership say about mine.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Shudder?

I have had two instances of shudder on my Taco and both times it was U-Joints (warrantied). I knew what it was. Several friends had the same issue with their Tacos.

Tranny Fluid does not make truck shudder.

'You AND the Dealership' should know better.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #30
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolreed View Post
I have had two instances of shudder on my Taco and both times it was U-Joints (warrantied). I knew what it was. Several friends had the same issue with their Tacos.

Tranny Fluid does not make truck shudder.

'You AND the Dealership' should know better.
Before everyone pinpoints the problem for the OP , what would it take to bring the truck in for a free diagnosis ?
Hooking this critter up to a scanner and going for a drive really helps in narrowing the issue down .You can even press the movie feature on the scanner when the truck begins to vibrate/shudder and go back to the shop and watch it on a computer just like real time
Diagnosing vibrations and shudders over a keyboard are impossible even though the op,s question sounds similar to the way our trucks have acted from time to time .
Universal joints cause vibrations and shudders .
Torque converter applications cause shudders in lock and unlock
There are upshifting and downshifting shudders as well
Transmission fluid can also cause shudders as it ages . There are friction modifiers in the trans fluid that break down after time and more so if the transmission hits the hot level far too many times .
There are some great answers here . Time for the OP to take it in for a free diagnostic possibly to a professional trans shop for a second opinion . A lot of trans shops will diagnose for free .
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
applebmw is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonnie
applebmw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebmw View Post
Bought a 09 PreRunner 7,000 miles ago with Toyota Certified Warranty, they telling me it shudders because fluid needs changed in tranny, NOT COVERED under warranty.......$160 per change, may take up to three times....Any Help here ? been reading about spill and fill, three quarts at a time, prolly same thing there doing.....Anybody had the problem?? Results?? I going to do myself in garage

OK, UPDATE....I changed trans fluid.13Qts,,,,,,,09 PreRunner DOES Have a atf light when you use jump wire as explained, tells when hot enough to check.....It STILL Shudders,,,going back to dealer tommorow for further checking, Hope they take care of it this time, Cost me $135 for the fluid..plus time.
NOW they say it is the Bilstien 5100 shocks I installed to level the thing out....I say how come it didn't do it from day one ??? little input here would be helpfull,,,I am going after truck that has new converter and trans installed..but also has shudder........going remove shocks see what happens...............should I believe them when they say they installed trans ??? How can I check ??
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Find another dealer...
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
Wheels With Moose.
NMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Walt
NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 200k on the original tranny fluid, and mine shudders constantly. However, since it's already a 200k transmission, and the TC likely shot, I've been waiting for the thing to grenade so I'd have an excuse to put a new transmission in it.

If it's below 10*F, I've got to let the truck warm up with the trans in neutral before it'll move. I'll put it in drive or reverse and it feels like the TC isn't building any pressure. The truck strains to move, but it won't until the fluid warms up.

I can't wait for the thing to die so I can just drop a new tranny in.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
TXtycoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
TXtycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebmw View Post
I changed all fluid, DEALER changed all fluid, NOW they say may need radiator at my $$$, waiting on test strip determine if water in any fluid.....water in radiator not low.....I have had a loaner car for almost 14days now...WTF ??
That's a bunch of BS... I would definetly suggest taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. I would have to argue that it IS NOT your radiator or your 5100's causing this shudder. Still not sure what kind of shudder you're getting, but I would say it's either your TC in your tranny or your u-joints in your driveshaft. If you have your truck a quick way to see if your TC is bad is to be at a dead stop in D. With your foot on the brake apply the gas just enough so your Tacoma wants to move but not enough to burn rubber. If you feel a shudder while doing this it is your torque converter.