Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tranny SHUDDER Toyota Certified RIPOFF

Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
applebmw is on a distinguished road
Name: Lonnie
applebmw's Tacoma Gallery
Tranny SHUDDER Toyota Certified RIPOFF

Bought a 09 PreRunner 7,000 miles ago with Toyota Certified Warranty, they telling me it shudders because fluid needs changed in tranny, NOT COVERED under warranty.......$160 per change, may take up to three times....Any Help here ? been reading about spill and fill, three quarts at a time, prolly same thing there doing.....Anybody had the problem?? Results?? I going to do myself in garage

OK, UPDATE....I changed trans fluid.13Qts,,,,,,,09 PreRunner DOES Have a atf light when you use jump wire as explained, tells when hot enough to check.....It STILL Shudders,,,going back to dealer tommorow for further checking, Hope they take care of it this time, Cost me $135 for the fluid..plus time.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebmw View Post
Bought a 09 PreRunner 7,000 miles ago with Toyota Certified Warranty, they telling me it shudders because fluid needs changed in tranny, NOT COVERED under warranty.......$160 per change, may take up to three times....Any Help here ? been reading about spill and fill, three quarts at a time, prolly same thing there doing.....Anybody had the problem?? Results?? I going to do myself in garage.
if its the shudder everyone has, its not your tranny fluid.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Please explain your shudder. It could be suspension related more than trans.

Also how many miles are on the truck? Trans fluid changes are not recommended even by the dealer, some state lifetime fluid or 100K.

We all know trans fluid breaks down as its life goes on so some here do it every 30-50K.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
bought truck with 57k miles, has 62k miles now, shudders at 40-42 mph in overdrive, 1200-1300 rpm, just kinda passes throu, can't get it to do constant, just started last 200 miles,,,,,,,,,,they say replace tranny fluid, if that does not work, tearing into tranny...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
if its the shudder everyone has, its not your tranny fluid.
so what is it??
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the driveshaft center bearing for excessive play. Get underneath and grab the driveshaft and push and pull (side to side) there should be very little play. On my old truck the thing must of had 8" side to side play.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
That would be the driveline/suspension shudder that is typically at take off to 30mph. Varies from vehicle to vehicle from leaf springs being weak, trans level due to mount/crossmember, carrier bearing, pinion angle etc. There is a couple of TSB's on this but not many reach a cure.

Yours sounds like converter and or converter lock up based on mph and rpm.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bought truck with 57k miles, has 62k miles now, shudders at 40-42 mph in overdrive, 1200-1300 rpm, just kinda passes throu, can't get it to do constant, just started last 200 miles,,,,,,,,,,they say replace tranny fluid, if that does not work, tearing into tranny...
Mine does the same thing
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
OP, tighten your U-bolts (hold your leafs in place) to 90 ft lbs of torque. thatll fix your issue.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine does it as well. If you want to drain n fill your trans, it's pretty simple. My drain n fills have been 4 qts. Here are some helpful links.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Mine does it as well. If you want to drain n fill your trans, it's pretty simple. My drain n fills have been 4 qts. Here are some helpful links.

Good luck
so, did drain and refill help? get rid of shudder? they said up to 3 times???????

thanks in advance...
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
OP, tighten your U-bolts (hold your leafs in place) to 90 ft lbs of torque. thatll fix your issue.
Not the U bolts
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Local trans shop says replace fluid, drive couple days, if does not fix, replace again, These guys are pro's, i know/trust em. say the converter making the shudder, water in fluid, moister, Believe gonna try it, after I get truck back from Dealer....why is it after pricks get your $$$ for car, they not even return phone calls about problems??? Toyota Direct, Columbus OHIO...basturds
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #16

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure trans fluid level is spot on. These trans are very picky about trans level. So if you are doing the work yourself and trans shifts odd or even worse afterwards double check level after driving a bit to verify full circulation.

I feel your pain on the extended warranty, check my thoughts by my screen name, it has been that was since I bought my truck as well.

I had luck recently getting a bunch of work done before my ext platinum warranty expired. Got a new wheel bearing, water pump and fan motor so it is possible for them to be nice and grant work to be done but it seems like it pullling teeth.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so, did drain and refill help? get rid of shudder? they said up to 3 times???????

thanks in advance...

I have 40k miles since my last drain n fill. I did it 3x, with the last at 50k. I plan on doing a major service in about 4k miles, which all fluids will be replaced. I didn't notice this hesitation between 40-45mph til about 5k miles ago, but when I drained n refilled, I did notice the trans shifting much nicer than previously. I wouldn't guarantee that draining and refilling will alleviate the shudder, but it won't hurt. Best way to get rid of the shudder is not to drive up hill, in OD, at 40-45mph. That's where I notice the shudder the most. Others may have different input though.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
My shudder at take off was cured by a u-joint replacement covered under warranty. I was and still am skeptical but that's what they told me they did and with 40K on the repair it hasn't returned.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
What engine do you have? I have a V6 DCLB 4x4 and I have a shutter at 40mph consistent. I believe it's a shift point and its just not quite sure what to do... I do have a take off shutter as well. What your describing sounds like the shift point. If you drive 40 and stay at a constant speed does it feel like its chugging?

I hardly think you need to change your fluid...