Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Want to customize my 2010 V6 Access Cab 4X4

Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
amudgarden is on a distinguished road
amudgarden's Tacoma Gallery
Want to customize my 2010 V6 Access Cab 4X4

I am looking to do some modifications to my 2010 Tacoma...basically want to lift it, new wheels and tires, upgrade suspension for off-roading, add supercharger, upgrade cat-back/exhaust, and add light bar and hella lights. How do I go about finding an experienced mechanic in my area (Maryland) to work with me on this?

The dealer was no help. Their parts department literally wasn't even aware that a TRD supercharger existed for the Tacoma. I change the oil myself so I don't have a mechanic I know and trust.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Take your money out of your wallet and lay it on the table. Savor it, enjoy the moment. Maybe wistfully enjoy some bourbon while fondly remembering the fun times you had together. Cherish those moments.

Because you will never see it again.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a supercharger I want pics
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post
Take your money out of your wallet and lay it on the table. Savor it, enjoy the moment. Maybe wistfully enjoy some bourbon while fondly remembering the fun times you had together. Cherish those moments.

The last time I did that was the night before I bought the truck.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post

The last time I did that was the night before I asked out my (now)girlfriend.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
The last time I did that was the night before I asked out my (now)girlfriend.
The last time I did that was the night before I married my wife.
Do you have any idea what "window treatments" and "wall art" cost??
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
No, but I will kiss my wallet everyday and everynight from now on. Lol
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
I see a trend here!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
heavy user
mm1ssdv is on a distinguished road

Navy: nuke sub mechanic / diver
Name: Chris
mm1ssdv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amudgarden View Post
How do I go about finding an experienced mechanic in my area (Maryland) to work with me on this?
good mechanics are always hard to find, but they tend to be in the smaller shops. it's helpful to be able to talk to them before they work on your car, sometimes you can get a feel for their level of 'give-a-shit'. a good indicator is if the mechanic has a modified vehicle (obv truck would be better for your scenario). i honestly have never felt ok letting others work on my cars because i feel like i get burned every time i go to a shop.
for the suspension install i would recommend that you be a part of it so you really understand whats going on under there. there are people in your area that have installed lifts before and would be willing to help. there are tons of weekend mechanics all over that have lifts, jack stands, air compressors, and all the tools you would need to do your stuff. i've helped a bunch of my friends lift their jeeps and tacos in exchange for beer.
i strongly encourage you to get your hands dirty though, and if you don't feel comfortable taking the lead on a project like that you should be able to find someone who is experienced enough to help you through it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
heavy user
mm1ssdv is on a distinguished road

Navy: nuke sub mechanic / diver
Name: Chris
mm1ssdv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
want to lift it, new wheels and tires, upgrade suspension for off-roading, add supercharger, upgrade cat-back/exhaust, and add light bar and hella lights.
every one of those mods pretty much has it's own extensive thread. there is a ridiculous amount of information on tacomaworld, so much so that you can essentially become an expert without ever asking a single question.

don't take anyone's opinion as truth.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
go to another dealer.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1ssdv View Post
good mechanics are always hard to find, but they tend to be in the smaller shops. it's helpful to be able to talk to them before they work on your car, sometimes you can get a feel for their level of 'give-a-shit'. a good indicator is if the mechanic has a modified vehicle (obv truck would be better for your scenario). i honestly have never felt ok letting others work on my cars because i feel like i get burned every time i go to a shop.
for the suspension install i would recommend that you be a part of it so you really understand whats going on under there. there are people in your area that have installed lifts before and would be willing to help. there are tons of weekend mechanics all over that have lifts, jack stands, air compressors, and all the tools you would need to do your stuff. i've helped a bunch of my friends lift their jeeps and tacos in exchange for beer.
i strongly encourage you to get your hands dirty though, and if you don't feel comfortable taking the lead on a project like that you should be able to find someone who is experienced enough to help you through it.

Thanks for your input. My level of "getting my hands dirty" has been limited to simple oil/filter changes and bolting on a brush guard and running boards. I'd actually prefer to do as much of the mods on my own as possible, but I'll ask around to try and find a weekend mechanic who's willing to work with me while i stock his fridge with beer (and subsequently help him empty it).

This forum is incredible for the amount of information on it. There are people on this forum who can probably disassemble a Tacoma and rebuild it from rote memory.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for your input. My level of "getting my hands dirty" has been limited to simple oil/filter changes and bolting on a brush guard and running boards. I'd actually prefer to do as much of the mods on my own as possible, but I'll ask around to try and find a weekend mechanic who's willing to work with me while i stock his fridge with beer (and subsequently help him empty it).

This forum is incredible for the amount of information on it. There are people on this forum who can probably disassemble a Tacoma and rebuild it from rote memory.
Post in your local thread that you are looking for help.
A lot of TWers are very knowledgeable and willing to help.
Local Mod Day.