Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken Bilstein Strut on 2nd generation Tacoma

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Dacole81 will become famous soon enoughDacole81 will become famous soon enough
Name: Doug
Dacole81's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Bilstein Strut on 2nd generation Tacoma

Has anyone else broken a strut on a TRD model? I have a spacer lift and I broke my driver's side strut just below the strut tube. I noticed that on both my struts the yellow paint was gone off of the round stock that is welded between the mounting eye and the strut tube. It broke right at the weld. Just wanted to let others know so they can keep an eye out for it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacole81 View Post
Has anyone else broken a strut on a TRD model?
Some have, and here is why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacole81 View Post
I have a spacer lift
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
nschmittsd is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Nick
nschmittsd's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set that you can have if you pay shipping there trd sport shocks with 60,000 miles
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmittsd View Post
I have a set that you can have if you pay shipping there trd sport shocks with 60,000 miles
I have 1500 miles on my truck 2013 TRD sport. New shocks are out for Delivery UPS now, throwing them in this weekend. free (above) is nice, but I'll ask a bit of $ if you want practically new ones.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
And yet people still wonder why spacer lifts are generally disliked by the vast majority of this forum...

There's nothing wrong with the shock, there never was. That spacer lift you're running is the culprit here. They allow the shock to bottom out before the bump stops hit the lower control arm, forcing the shock to take the force of the bottom out.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the extra money and go with a full suspension lift.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
I have, I was running a spacer lift first and went off roading.

I am installing 5100's and 885's this weekend.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmittsd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I have 1500 miles on my truck 2013 TRD sport. New shocks are out for Delivery UPS now, throwing them in this weekend. free (above) is nice, but I'll ask a bit of $ if you want practically new ones.
@Dacole81: Do not get a set of stock Bilsteins and put the spacer back in, because the shocks will break again. If you want to lift, just buy a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks. They have a 4-position spring perch, so you can lift without spacers.