1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas smell

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by olatheneyens, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Feb 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    olatheneyens

olatheneyens [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    KS
    Vehicle:
    11 Toyota Double Off-road
    I have a 2011 Taco and I went through a snow bank. Since then, I smell gas. When parked with the truck running, it eventually comes in to the cab but when outside of the truck with the truck running, it smells too. I don't see gas dropping on to the ground. When parked in the garage, the garage eventually smells of gas too.

Specific ideas? Any help y'all can offer would be great.

2. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    The fuel delivery system to the injectors is under high pressure, so I think you's really know it if you had an issue there.

I'm going to guess damage to the fuel evap system. Get underneath, especially in the area where it got blasted by the snow bank, and check for broken hoses or plastic fittings. Your nose should be able to lead the way too. :)

3. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If the evap. system is breached it will eventually throw a code... Got a Check Engine light yet. I agree with the above poster that it is more probable the evap system is leaking vapor.

4. Feb 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    Thanks Jimmy - I was going to ask if he had the CEL on but then completely forgot. :eek:

5. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM
    olatheneyens

olatheneyens [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    KS
    Vehicle:
    11 Toyota Double Off-road
    Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it. So far, I have no code and this afternoon I unpacked a bunch of snow and while I was unpacking I could smell it strong, almost like it was in the snow. Once I unpacked the snow, the smell has diminished which leads me to think the smell was in the snow, but that doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no meteorologist. I did not see any lines that were unattached or broken. And I still don't see any drips.Thanks again for sharing.

Products Discussed in

To Top