Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Tire replacement

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
willee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Question Best Tire replacement

REF: 2013 Tacoma, 4x4, auto, access-cab, all stock!

I will soon need to replace my "stock" tires, so I need advice from you folks on the direction to go!

I realize, I cannot have everthing in this replacement tire, so I'll go for the one that meets the majority of my wants:

1. Stock size
2. somewhat quiet
3. Long tread-life (I'm retired and not rich )
4. 75% hi-way, 25% off road on un-improved dirt fireroads (somewhat muddy after a storm). So, a true road tread will not do the job. Been to many places where the stock tires failed and I had to go to 4-wheel, to get out!!

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Yokohama Geolander, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Firestone Destination A/T @ Tire Rack. Top rated in it's class.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
I had these on my old s-10, liked them alot
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

Also, make sure that you sell your stock tires to offset the cost of your new tires. I bought the Michelin LTX M/S 2, and sold my Rugged Trails for 400 dollars on Craigslist.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
Im on my 2nd set of BFG AT KO’s. I’m sure when the time comes again for tires, I will do the same. I believe I got about 50k miles on my first set.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd go with this one for your needs, or maybe the Cooper Discoverer A/T3.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
peiscooter is on a distinguished road

peiscooter's Tacoma Gallery
LTX MS2 by michelin
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting close to needing new rubber also and have just about settled on the Goodyear silent armor's for the following reasons:

1. Good reveiws
2. My current triple treads have residual tread wear warranty
3. My local independent Goodyear dealer has competitive pricing when you consider lifetime 5K rotation/balancing and it's where I get the oil changed
4. I want something more aggressive than the triple treads even though I like the look of the tread and sidewall of the triple treads (my second set)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Im on my 2nd set of BFG AT KOís. Iím sure when the time comes again for tires, I will do the same. I believe I got about 50k miles on my first set.
This is a pretty classic answer when someone is interested in tire life as one of the higer priorities. Lots of reports of the AT KOs going 50k miles +.

I like my Hankook Dynapros because they're still a lightweight tire but have good tread patterns and are a little more beefy than a stock tire. (44 psi max on the P-series). I lost less than 1 mpg with going to a 276/65R16 and if I calculated out the difference in revolutions per mile I'm probably not actually losing anything. Plus they're one of the cheaper AT tires. BUT, I've only had them for 20K miles. Basically no visible wear at this point but who knows how lon they will last.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
willee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation So far...

.....so good! All good info at this point!

Of course, most folks feel their tire is Best or they would not have purchased them!

But there is a BEST all-round tire out there somewhere
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Went with these BFG Rugged Terrain due to reviews, price (at Discount tire), & like the tread pattern more than the stockers:

They have been great so far.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
You can never go wrong with Michelins! I use LTX AT2, and have had great results.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
running them now...good tire...trying to decide to do a repeat this spring or go to good-year wrangler
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This. For this guy's application, they're perfect. I would've gotten a second pair myself after putting over 60K miles on them but I wanted something more aggressive.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
What is YOUR stock size? Because they can be different. Mine came with 265's. So if you have the smaller stock 245's you could go a little bigger?

I put on the Duratracs and so far they have been really good in the snow. But havent really been out in the dirt or mud yet with them.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
wolf08gang is on a distinguished road
wolf08gang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
This. For this guy's application, they're perfect. I would've gotten a second pair myself after putting over 60K miles on them but I wanted something more aggressive.
What did you go with for the replacement; why?

Products Discussed in this Thread