1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Locking bed storage trunk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tactical Tacoma, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    [​IMG]

So after 3 or 4 emails asking details about this mod. I decided to do a write up. Basically, I always carry my B.O.B. (Bug Out Bag) in my truck and got tired of having a good portion of my backseat taken up by it . So I started to look into locking bed storage options to store the BOB and other stuff. I have always liked the Rubbermaid Action Packers, and know they are popular amongst my fellow expeditioners. I also know from boks post about bed storage that the 42 gallon trunks were a perfect fit. So I decided on the 42 Gallon Action packer trunk. However, I was afraid that it might get stolen out the bed, so I came up with a way to keep it from growing legs and walking away. Here is what I did

Went to Home depot and bought about 8' of nylon wrapped wire rope (sold by the foot). I also picked up a set of these wire clamp kits like this to make loops at each end of the cable.

I had already done the Extra D-Ring bed mod. So, I ran the cable through the extra front D-rings and cut the cable to the desired length. I then ran the ends (w/the loops) across the front of the Action packer trunk. Lastly, I ran the lock through the hole on the handle of the trunk and the loops of the cable. Now the trunk is locked and attached to the bed. On of the reasons I did it this way was because the cable acts as a stop, preventing thee trunk from sliding around even though i have the bed mat.

I'm not good at explaining, which is now obvious from the jargon above, so.......just look at the pics to decipher my mumbo-jumbo.

42 Gal Action Packer containing my BOB and other needed stuff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cable loops made with kit (hyper linked above)
    [​IMG]

Cable run through D-rings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trunk locked down in bed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Feb 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
  3. Feb 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    Hey man, great idea! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.:)

4. Feb 23, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Thanks.

My only recommendation.....buy a thicker cable if doable. I'm gonna upgrade to feel safer

5. Feb 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Hmmmm, I'd do this if it wasn't for the plastic storage box itself...... Prying open the top looks pretty east since it is made of plastic

6. Feb 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    Great idea for securing one of these into the bed. My parents got me a 36gal. action packer for X-Mas this past year. I also finally acquired a topper recently so that will also aid in weather proofing and security.

Another tip for keeping water out of the action packer through the lid. Go to you local home improvement store and get some weather stripping that you unroll and peal off a backer to stick it to a surface. 3/8 thickness should be plenty and you can get it in different widths too. Then you put it either on the lid or the trunk portion around the whole perimeter.

7. Feb 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
    Great idea I've been brain storming on ideas myself thanks for sharing.

8. Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Yeah, that's what's did. I went to autozone and got some of the EPDM foam weather stripping.

9. Feb 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    What kind of backpack is that and where can I buy one? I've been looking at putting together a BOB myself.

10. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    The Action Packer is pretty secure and harder to pry up than it looks; although, its still able to be pried up. A person would make quite a bit of noise trying to open this and would probably set my alarm off, just jarring around in the bed. Plus, the area I live in (McKinney,TX) is pretty safe and I rarely take my truck anywhere other than camping and trails, since I drive my company car most days.

This is a Fox Tactical Jumbo Modular Field Pack. FYI, I went through buying and selling of 3 other bags before I settled on one I liked. I would go to gun shows and look at bags, find one I (thought) I liked, go home and order it cheaper off the net. Then after one use would realize I needed something different. So, although I like this bag and it works for my contents and purpose(s), it may not work for yours.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. Feb 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
  12. Feb 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    I would suggest you run the cable on the inside. Drill holes on either side and then the cable is not visible and cant be easily cut. The locked cable draws attention of what may be in there. The hidden cable is not as enticing. You could also add couple of locking hinges to prevent prying. Silicone would keep all the holes sealed.

Not as easy to slide it to the tailgate though.

13. Feb 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Yeah I worry about the lock drawing attention. I might have to redesign the setup. Thanks for the input bro.

14. Feb 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    I have been thinking about this. The best way would be to drill small holes in the bottom of the tub. Thread the cable inside and across and out to the other d ring. No one is cutting the cable or pulling it out without massive damage.

Try 1776 tactical for a sweet bug out bag. Love mine.

Not sure how to secure the lid without some type of chains which again brings the attention.

15. May 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    jtye

jtye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DC
    Vehicle:
    08 Super White 5 lug
    Fog lights, fatbob's 5lug lift, Cragar 15x7, 31x10.5 Gen.Grabbers, Wet Okole
    I've got a regular cab and needed a bunch of storage options, so initially I got the cargo net, but still needed a waterproof storage option. Enter the Action Packer - great solution. I didnt feel the need for an elaborate way to secure the box (if someone really wants to get in, it's plastic, and they probably will), just something to prevent it from growing legs.

Installed an eye bolt through the center drainage hole, drilled a hole on the bottom of the action packer and installed an eye bolt there, hit bolt on the action packer with some weather proofing stuff from home depot and pad locked the packer to the bed eye bolt.

[​IMG]

Because its got a couple inches to rattle around (and i still dont have a bed mat), I decided to move the cargo net right in front of the packer. The cargo nets elastic top serves as a bungee, holding the action packer in place. So I still have the quick storage option when it's nice out and the locking weather proof option for anything else. Might not work for everyone, but a quick and easy solution for me. Doesn't draw unnecessary attention, but gives me the piece of mind I wanted.

[​IMG]

16. May 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    Nice, I like the idea of an insulated box.
    Your shovel mount caught my eye as well. is that a custom mount, or did you buy it?
    I went with the high security path myself, using L-track for mounting and a 40" wide box that fits under my tonno.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. May 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Custom?...kinda, homemade is more like it. I used two pieces of 2" wide 1/8" thick aluminum strip metal from Home Depot, cut them to length, painted them black, drilled bed rail mounting holes, bolted some Quick Fists to them and mounted them to the bed rails....vuala, homemade shovel mount. I also got those little rubber bolt covers and put them on back of bolts so they don't rattle against bed wall. I used bolts long enough to mount the Quick Fists and to act as feet against the bed wall and help stop sway/rattle of the shovel & mount.

18. May 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I'd be afraid someone with a Crescent wrench simply would undo the bolts holding the wire loop together and take the whole box. IMHO the security chain or cable needs to be inaccessible when the box is mounted.

19. May 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, ICON 2.0 RR Ext rears, AP EXPO pack, Diff Wedge, Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Ride-Rite Bags w/ Daystars, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt skids, BAMF bolt on sliders BAMF diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB, etc.
    Thanks for all of the detail, I'm gonna have to stop by the Depot and see what I can find, I don't remember seeing the Quick Fists there, but I think I can get them at Amazon.

BTW I use T-Slot nuts for the bed side rails. You can get them from McMaster-Carr as either a 3/8-16x9/16 wide (http://www.mcmaster.com/#90526A592)
    or a M10x1.5x14mm wide
    (http://www.mcmaster.com/#90974A118)

20. May 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    That was my concern too, but if they can get away with that in the driveway without the alarm going off, dog barking, motion lights coming on or late night neighbor seeing, then they are magicians. Truck never leaves driveway except to offroad, take trips to beach/lake, go camping, hunting, etc. It's no longer my daily driver now that I have a company car. Plus I work from home and I can see it in driveway from home office. It's like the other guy said, it's just a plastic box, if they really want in it, they'll get in. The cable was a quick fix to prevent sliding more than anything, but also functions as some added security. However, it's also, unfortunately, adds attention. I look the eye bolt idea, I think I'm gonna go that route.

Products Discussed in

To Top